E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI LED tail lights, why they go bad.

12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #23
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfit View Post
Among other things i fix automotive led clusters for a living, proper way to fix is to cut from behind. I use dental lab motor for this, it is more melt than cut, dremel with 1.5mm drill bit works just as well, dril a small hole and use drill bit to cut sideways, be carefull not to go too deep, cut 2-3mm INSIDE of a edge that holds foam gasket (slowly remove gasket before cutting) so you dont need to seal it for waterproofing again. Solder joints on those leds dont usualy go bad unless seal is broken and water finds its way to circuit board, leds fail internaly from vibrations, those are silicone sealed led smd chips. some leds start working after reflow cose you move led internals when reflowing but it is a short term fix, most of them will fail again except if you are extreamly lucky. I dont fix water damaged tail lights cose they fail again and again. To identify failed leds after you remove circuit board attach 9 to 11v 1A power supply (so you don't burn any leds during diagnostic) touch them lightly on the center with tweezers, if this does not work try shorting out one at the time until the rest of the led cluster turn on (e90 tails have very stupid electronics, if one led fails whole cluster stops working or start flickering). Replace any suspicious leds, they are dirt cheap. When you replace all failed leds test everything on a 12v power supply then put everything back together and use flat tip solder iron to weld plastic back together. Not super easy but it can be done under 40 min per light, it will stay sealed and repair will not be visible until light cluster is removed and if it fails again fix can be redone, often not the case if you removed and glued lens. There you go��
Which leds would you use to replace the burnt out ones in a pre-lci tail light?

If you could provide a model or a site where these can be purchased it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #24
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

Great, but which LEDS....

Nice post, the thing we have never found out from anyone, including myself who has posted much about this is a SPECIFIC replacement LED in Amber colour (UK)
Part Number, Manufacturer, Supplier, now if you can tell us all that you will be a hero and we will know you know what you are talking about...... I guess for USA its red...?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
Dryfit
Rep
Drives: 525i E60, 320i E46

It is PLCC4 smd led produced by osram, you can buy them at mouser.com, here is the catalogue
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/645/usd/156.pdf

Mouser catalogue no 720-LAE6SFBAcA241Z for amber led, 3550mcd.
And if you need red led for brake rods it is this one
720-LRE6SFAABB11Z.

On some led clusters this works better (diferent manufacturing plant or diferent batch i dont know, looks identical, but when put circuit board next to each other and turn them on you can see the diference, but very hard to tell light difference between left and right tail light when light is assembled and on a car)

https://lighthouseleds.com/plcc-4-12...ight-1300.html

I don't know about US version of e90 tail light, i'm in Europe, i never took us e90 tail light apart.

Sometimes you might get ever so slightly diferent shade of amber from new leds, bearly noticeable without lens, and completly impossible to tell the diference when you put the light cluster together. It is due to age of other leds in the cluster and new ones can be few mcd brighter cose they are brand new and came from different batch of manufacture. If you are bothered by this and even if although invisible you can't sleep over this cose deep inside you know they are just 99.9% the same, replace all leds😀😀 it is still alot cheaper than buying even used one let allone brand new tail light. Still, i could never understand why would they make led light with bunch of electronics inside sealed..it is stupid to have to replace whole tail light assembly becose one 10-20p led failed..

Last edited by Dryfit; 12-14-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #26
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

OK Dryfit, you are officially nominated a hero, knowing which LED makes life a lo easier, I will be buying a dozen for the future in case I need them.
You are right, crazy to seal it all up by the manufacturer but that's how they make their large amounts of money.

Thanks again, you will be popular...

Charmin
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #27
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
It is PLCC4 smd led produced by osram, you can buy them at mouser.com, here is the catalogue

720-LRE6SFAABB11Z.

On some led clusters this works better (diferent manufacturing plant or diferent batch i dont know, looks identical, but when put circuit board next to each other and turn them on you can see the diference, but very hard to tell light difference between left and right tail light when light is assembled and on a car)

I don't know about US version of e90 tail light, i'm in Europe, i never took us e90 tail light apart.

Sometimes you might get ever so slightly diferent shade of amber from new leds, bearly noticeable without lens, and completly impossible to tell the diference when you put the light cluster together. It is due to age of other leds in the cluster and new ones can be few mcd brighter cose they are brand new and came from different batch of manufacture. If you are bothered by this and even if although invisible you can't sleep over this cose deep inside you know they are just 99.9% the same, replace all leds😀😀 it is still alot cheaper than buying even used one let allone brand new tail light. Still, i could never understand why would they make led light with bunch of electronics inside sealed..it is stupid to have to replace whole tail light assembly becose one 10-20p led failed..
Buraz, any info on the pre-lci leds that are in the three strips of the taillight
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #28
Dryfit
Rep
Drives: 525i E60, 320i E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Buraz, any info on the pre-lci leds that are in the three strips of the taillight
Buraz i don't know what leds are in pre lci taillight, I never took it apart, nobody brings them for repair, eather they don't fail at all or people replace them when they do fail with used ones cose they are not that expensive or upgrade to lci taillighs.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Harley93
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:

720-LRE6SFAABB11Z.

Hey do you know the led code for the e92 rear break lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #30
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Tail Light

The code is in the reply about three up from your one, you really need to learn to read...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #31
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

just in case....

720-LRE6SFAABB11Z.

Cheers