E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006 325I Exhaust Rattle - Easy Fix

12-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
bwinterstine
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

2006 325I Exhaust Rattle - Easy Fix

I had noticed that my car developed a rattle on cold mornings. I needed some routine maintenance ("free") performed so I asked the local BMW shop to look into it while they had the car.

The shop told me that the exhaust pipe lower bracket was bent and would not clamp tightly causing the rattle. They pulled off the exhaust pipe(s) mounting bracket found approximately in the middle of the underside. This bracket has two primary pieces. A long piece attaches to the car just behind the transmission with the other end resting on top of the two exahaust pipes. The lower bracket piece is bolted to the longer piece and clamps the exhaust pipes together (see picture). They bagged all the parts, told me they ordered a new bracket (for $300.00) and would call me when the part is in. I drove away with the bracket off after they said it would be "ok for a few weeks".

I looked at the old bracket today and it didn't seem all that "bent". It was easily straighted on my vice.

I raised the right side of the car onto jack stands and put the bracket back on. It still didn't tighten enough. The problem wasn't the bracket but the original bolt has a "stop" on it (see picture). Over the past 4 years, the parts have warn down somewhat and the bolt won't allow a snug fit.

I replaced the bolt with a M8x40MM bolt and lockwasher (see picture). FIXED for $0.40! Total time, 30 minutes.

Hope this helps someone else out there save some money (and time); saved me $299.60 (plus whatever labor would have been).

Name:  BMW Exhaust Bracket1.jpg
Views: 5629
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  bmw Exhaust Bracket2.jpg
Views: 4209
Size:  39.6 KB
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I got the performance exhaust on my 328i and I haven't ran into a problem like this yet but this is a good heads up post.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

DIY +1 Stealership 0
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks alot. My dealership was nice to not charge that much but still alot. They didn't call me back, so I guess they don't feel it's worth fixing my car for this little money. Oh well....I'll attempt this over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
TaurusThomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW , 2006 , 330i , N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinterstine View Post
I had noticed that my car developed a rattle on cold mornings. I needed some routine maintenance ("free") performed so I asked the local BMW shop to look into it while they had the car.

The shop told me that the exhaust pipe lower bracket was bent and would not clamp tightly causing the rattle. They pulled off the exhaust pipe(s) mounting bracket found approximately in the middle of the underside. This bracket has two primary pieces. A long piece attaches to the car just behind the transmission with the other end resting on top of the two exahaust pipes. The lower bracket piece is bolted to the longer piece and clamps the exhaust pipes together (see picture). They bagged all the parts, told me they ordered a new bracket (for $300.00) and would call me when the part is in. I drove away with the bracket off after they said it would be "ok for a few weeks".

I looked at the old bracket today and it didn't seem all that "bent". It was easily straighted on my vice.

I raised the right side of the car onto jack stands and put the bracket back on. It still didn't tighten enough. The problem wasn't the bracket but the original bolt has a "stop" on it (see picture). Over the past 4 years, the parts have warn down somewhat and the bolt won't allow a snug fit.

I replaced the bolt with a M8x40MM bolt and lockwasher (see picture). FIXED for $0.40! Total time, 30 minutes.

Hope this helps someone else out there save some money (and time); saved me $299.60 (plus whatever labor would have been).

Attachment 462973

Attachment 462974
Wow this is EXACTLY what I am dealing with. I serviced my ZF transmission and had to take this clamp if you will off to get it done. But it started rattling after I did a muffler delete with increased vibration which only made it worse. I figured it was a bolt issue and you saved us all a big headache stating the replacement bolt and washer size. Much appreciated thanks
Appreciate 0