E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw to WRX?

05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

Unhappy Bmw to WRX?

Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Am I going to regret getting this car? Aside from it not being a premium brand what do you guys think about them?

I plan on being a BMW guy again once I can afford the higher end ones haha! I just feel stuck in this car
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf View Post
Hi I was just wondering what 3 series owners think about a WRX? I used to have a Saab and I think because of some of the problems I experienced when it started getting high in the mileage (110k), I am starting to get really paranoid about repairs with my bmw. Unfortunately I can't afford a new bmw at this time, but the WRX intrigues me. I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car. My car has 80k miles on it, and I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Am I going to regret getting this car? Aside from it not being a premium brand what do you guys think about them?

I plan on being a BMW guy again once I can afford the higher end ones haha! I just feel stuck in this car
You shouldn't have any problems with a 330i...if you had a 335i I would say you should worry but only a little bit. Have a second car handy.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
the new wrxs with the wide body are nice IMO. best in class.

depends on what you're looking for, but expect the drop in interior quality.
what can i say.. go for a test drive
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Nice cars with insane potential!! Totally different experiences though. The two cars really are not comparable.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuousWolf

You crazy??
Lol

Just kiddin
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
tullnd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i A/T

You understand that in almost all instances, a car is a depreciating asset. Meaning it's a money loser. You say: I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car.

I'm not sure what you mean, either you'll be paying a couple dollars more or less a month. For the exact same term of the loan? If you're so scared of a car having 80k on it, I assume you're not just 1 or 2 years into ownership on this BMW. So I'd guess it's near paid off(unless you made the serious mistake of getting more than a 4 year loan on a used car....bad financial planning if so).

Buying new and extending the loan is not the economical thing usually. A car today should easily hit 100k + and still remain somewhat reliable. Odds are that you will come out ahead. If you're that concerned about it financially, you really should be purchasing something like an old Honda that's fairly bulletproof and also incredibly cheap to keep running. Not saying that to be rude, but if you're that concerned about finance, I'd think sucking it up and driving the cheap car for a few years can put you way ahead.

I drove my old Subaru for over 10 years, since I bought it new in 2001. That decision to keep driving it is what put me in the position to buy my 09 BMW and pay over 50% cash and only carry a 2 year loan on the balance. I treat cars as a money loser and nicer ones as a luxury, only afforded when my financial situation makes their cost a non-factor in my monthly budget.

If you're seriously that concerned, don't get a new WRX. Buy a cheap car for a few years until you're in a much more financially secure position.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Well I need to put like 4k into it this summer, brakes, tires, oil change, fix the a/c, and spark plugs. Not to mention I think my car is on it's stock suspension.

I just feel like that is silly for a used car, I mean I can pay it and whatever, but I just want some warranty haha!

I was kind of hoping to her some BMW sided views like against subaru, like how against bmw people would mention high repair costs, electrical issues, and hpfp problems. I know bmw is better, but I just feel like this is a better financial decision because I would actually be saving money and who knows maybe in 3 years buy a new M3 haha
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
AcidMal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd
You understand that in almost all instances, a car is a depreciating asset. Meaning it's a money loser. You say: I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car.

I'm not sure what you mean, either you'll be paying a couple dollars more or less a month. For the exact same term of the loan? If you're so scared of a car having 80k on it, I assume you're not just 1 or 2 years into ownership on this BMW. So I'd guess it's near paid off(unless you made the serious mistake of getting more than a 4 year loan on a used car....bad financial planning if so).

Buying new and extending the loan is not the economical thing usually. A car today should easily hit 100k + and still remain somewhat reliable. Odds are that you will come out ahead. If you're that concerned about it financially, you really should be purchasing something like an old Honda that's fairly bulletproof and also incredibly cheap to keep running. Not saying that to be rude, but if you're that concerned about finance, I'd think sucking it up and driving the cheap car for a few years can put you way ahead.

I drove my old Subaru for over 10 years, since I bought it new in 2001. That decision to keep driving it is what put me in the position to buy my 09 BMW and pay over 50% cash and only carry a 2 year loan on the balance. I treat cars as a money loser and nicer ones as a luxury, only afforded when my financial situation makes their cost a non-factor in my monthly budget.

If you're seriously that concerned, don't get a new WRX. Buy a cheap car for a few years until you're in a much more financially secure position.
You hit it on the head about the depreciating asset however paying cash for a car is not really a good move financially. Assuming you have the credit, (and if you dont you shouldnt buy a bmw) financing a car at .5% is much smarter.
If you have $20k or above cash to plop down on a vehicle and you can't make that $20k earn you more than .5% you are doing something wrong and shouldn't give financial advice.
A basic money market savings account will earn you 1-2% returns. Use your capital don't squander it into a car which will tear through 5k as soon as you start it the first time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
WRX are nice, but I would never go from a BMW to a WRX.
I'd say anything else to a WRX is well worth it.
      05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I guess I should rephrase this a bit, I am not really "concerned" about money. I just don't want to put money into my car anymore, since it's so old. My car is not paid off, but the price per month would be lower on the wrx car.

I brought up money because I would be saving money which is something to consider when choosing a car. Like I get a suckier interior, but it's costing me less in maint and per month.

Basically I guess I wanted to know from you guys aside from the boy racer rep, is subaru a good brand over all? Without modding the crap out of them are the engines reliable and tranny reliable? I could ask the subbie guys but they would just be biased. I guess what I would like to know is are they over-hyped?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Quote:
Well I need to put like 4k into it this summer, brakes, tires, oil change, fix the a/c, and spark plugs. Not to mention I think my car is on it's stock suspension.

I just feel like that is silly for a used car, I mean I can pay it and whatever, but I just want some warranty haha!

I was kind of hoping to her some BMW sided views like against subaru, like how against bmw people would mention high repair costs, electrical issues, and hpfp problems. I know bmw is better, but I just feel like this is a better financial decision because I would actually be saving money and who knows maybe in 3 years buy a new M3 haha
I think the WRX is nice, however; i don't think you need to spend 4K into all those items you mentioned.

My car has 132K to date & cannot tell you how much I'm happy to still have it today. I just finished a 1,500 mile long road trip 4 days ago going from San Jose to Los Angeles and San Diego and then back. My advice to you and if you can is keep your car & find a reliable independent mechanic who charges reasonable rates to maintain your car.

I have replaced the items you mentioned above and they cost me no more than $1,100 tops thats without the a/c. You can even lower your maintenance costs further by doing some of the work yourself.

This forum has a lot of tips & diy on repairs when you do your searches here. Because of this, I was able to save a lot of money by doing the work myself when I replaced my wiper relay & final resistor for the fan blower. I can't thank enough to the folks here that posted their tips.

It's your decision but I think you should keep your car and find a good mechanic and never go to the dealer for out of warranty repairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

What 1.1k? Haha the tires I want are gonna be like 900, brakes 1k without install?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Haha the other BMW forum is saying I should get a EVO instead now I'm really confused haha!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

WRX is a tight fit

WRX is a tight fit if you are over 5 foot 5
thats one of the worst downsides

Last edited by ctuna; 05-03-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Quote:
What 1.1k? Haha the tires I want are gonna be like 900, brakes 1k without install?
Yes, that's right.. if you shop around carefully it can be done.

Tires: I got 4 new dunlop sport sp8000 tires for $344...that's with everything installed, out the door from a local tire shop. They don't need to be run flats. I carry a donut spare in my car. Think about it, there are lot of quality tires out there, $900 is way to much to spend.

Brakes: Go to autopartswarehouse.com, they have quality brake pads & rotors from a company called Centric which is designed to fit your car... I got my front rotors and front pads from them last time and only paid $120 including shipping. I paid $50 to my mechanic to have them installed for me. So the total costs for everything is $170 (120 + 50) Not only I saved a lot of money, they even lasted longer than the original bmw brake pads & rotors.

By the way, I plan on keeping this car as long as I can...meaning 200K +
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Oh sorry will, great break down thanks!

I guess the nrft I was looking at on discount tire are over priced then?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I went from a wrx to my 335d. I don't think I could go back. Although I still have my '02 wrx, I haven't driven it in months.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Surf
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg 335i e90 LCI

Quote:
Ok I guess I should rephrase this a bit, I am not really "concerned" about money. I just don't want to put money into my car anymore, since it's so old. My car is not paid off, but the price per month would be lower on the wrx car.

I brought up money because I would be saving money which is something to consider when choosing a car. Like I get a suckier interior, but it's costing me less in maint and per month.
I just want to reiterate what others have said, buying a new WRX is not "saving money" just because your current payments are lower. That car will depreciate rapidly and cost you much more in the long run.

Your car is not going to depreciate much per year at this point, keep the repair costs down by finding a good independent mechanic and obtaining parts online, and put the extra $ in the bank, especially once you have it paid off. BMWs are built to last for a looong time when maintained properly, and are way above subarus in overall driving experience.

TiAg 335i e90 LCI 6MT sport/prem/cold/xenon/logic7

Black/Black 330ci e46 5MT sport/prem/cold - retired, for sale!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Surf you have a 335i though.. I wouldn't want to get a subaru if I had a 335i haha. It just sucks being a "boy racer at heart" and having an auto car, that if I put 4k into would still be under 300hp lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe I'm just having an identity crisis or something, and I think that having a new car will fix my problems. My car still puts a smile on my face every time I drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #21
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd View Post

Logic FTW!

I get crap from all my friends for putting so much in preventative maintenance on my car, but they're the ones paying $400 every month on a car note + whatever their maintenance is.

I probably see roughly $90-120 a month (in budgeting for the next thing; no I do not actually spend this amount every month).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

My bro just got a brand new wrx. It is a really fun all season car with alot of torque. Its a light car that feels very nimble. For the money, I'd rock that shit.
Appreciate 0