E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ticking sound OLD vs. NEW Threads

01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyman83 View Post
i had similar sound, it turned out to be my serpentine belt.
hmmmmm...yes, could be. did you shed some skin? (grooves)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

There are only a few ticking sounds that are "normal" on this car.

1) Injector ticking, they make noise, it is normal.
2) Fuel pressure release valve, also sounds like injectors ticking. If you rev the engine it will go away and return.

Any other rattles near the exhaust are usually wastegate rattle. It is normal in the sense that it is a common problem on these cars. Bring it to the dealer if you are under warranty and stock.

Any other excessive ticking noises may be valve train noise. Go to dealer if it is a concern but they will likely do nothing unless its excessively loud or throwing codes.

The e36 and e46 problem were notorious for needing valve timing adjustments as early as 20,000 miles, but the N54 doesn't have that problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
tmurphy2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

2) Fuel pressure release valve, also sounds like injectors ticking. If you rev the engine it will go away and return.

Any other rattles near the exhaust are usually wastegate rattle. It is normal in the sense that it is a common problem on these cars. Bring it to the dealer if you are under warranty and stock.

Any other excessive ticking noises may be valve train noise. Go to dealer if it is a concern but they will likely do nothing unless its excessively loud or throwing codes.

The e36 and e46 problem were notorious for needing valve timing adjustments as early as 20,000 miles, but the N54 doesn't have that problem.
thanks jeff, the more i talk to people im leaning towards #2 you listed, but why would this start now and notoccur in the first 5 years ive had the car?

i will say the car has never been in weather that is this cold before if that makes a difference, i store it but drive it around my parking garage once a week.

e92 335i sport[/B] 2 GO: Cobb AP Stg 2+, Macht Schnell DPs, Injen intake, Spearco FMIC, Velocity throttle booster, DBA 4000xs rotors, Vibrant Performance catback, Synapse BOV & charge pipe, Hancook V12 EVOs 4 SHOW: DCT paddles, cusco strut, piano black trim, Mtech bumper, aero lip, 19" Miro 111's, angel eye, black: window trim, side mark, kidneys
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

My car makes the same ticking noise and when I rev the engine from idle it goes away and comes back a few seconds later. It has been making that noise ever since I bought it. I don't hear it all the time though. Car runs and performs fine so I'm not worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
mattsy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

Happens to my car as well. I also figured it to be something fuel related, and probably not much of an issue. I had a Mazdaspeed6 (also DI) that made a similar noise. Not anything I'm worried about.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

mine makes that exact noise as well. TO me it sounds like every other direct injection car ive ever worked on so i just count it as normal
Appreciate 0