E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why Don't People Floss Their Teeth and Go to the Dentist?

07-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #23
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Trust in your dentist is crucial. We've been to some quacks for sure. Find one you like and stick with him or her. I avoided dentists for years because my gums would always ache for days after a visit. Then I found my current dentist and have never had any lasting discomfort, yet my teeth and gums are in better shape than ever.
The hygienist is even more important than the dentist for the day to day stuff. If you have a good hygienist, cleanings will go great and will prevent any need for serious work.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #24
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
I hate the dentist, pain in your mouth and in your wallet, no i dont need bite wing x-rays< i dont give a shit its covered because you say that then i get a bill for 175 dollars later.

Who grows up and says yea i wanna be a dentist, nothing but pain with a side of pain
Grives a BMW and complains about $175 bill. Dentists are pimp if you get the right one.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
First, I understand the value of hygiene and proper smelling breath and teeth.

Second, I would like to provide some perspective on lifestyles potentially outside of your view. Some people were born poor without insurance and never visited a dentist due to their parents not able to pay for even a simple cleaning. Others had to learn that going to a dentist is a normal thing and should be done on a regular basis. Others, potentially made something of themselves (director and above) but never understood the value of such things. Additionally, some cultures do not put the same emphasis on such things.

In short, not everybody was raised how you were nor perhaps were as privileged.

Again, I agree that it's important to maintain your grille but I do not judge others that do not know any better.
Haha, nice sob story but if they are at my company, they make plenty of money to take care of their grill and should develop new habits if their shitty ones don't have them going to the dentist regularly.

I know more about poor than you do, guaranteed. I've traveled extensively to poor countries, donated probably your yearly salary, and have very close ties with some of the poorest countries on Earth. Separate issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #26
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I've traveled extensively to poor countries, donated probably your yearly salary, and have very close ties with some of the poorest countries on Earth.
Yep, you sure do know about poor....from the other side of the fence.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:27 AM   #27
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

My parents cheaped out when I was kid and never fixed my crooked ass teeth, which I now have to deal with/pay for.

Luckily, there's Invisalign (invisible braces)

But still, $7,500 for 70 pieces of plastic
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #28
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Anybody here still got their wisdoms?
yup
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #29
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I brush and floss, but I hate the effin' dentist. I take a really long time to freeze and when I was a kid the dentist wouldn't listen to me to me and would do all the work with me unfrozen......then I'd leave and the freezing would set in making for hours of numb face following a very painful experience. Effin' idiot.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #30
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
First, I understand the value of hygiene and proper smelling breath and teeth.

Second, I would like to provide some perspective on lifestyles potentially outside of your view. Some people were born poor without insurance and never visited a dentist due to their parents not able to pay for even a simple cleaning. Others had to learn that going to a dentist is a normal thing and should be done on a regular basis. Others, potentially made something of themselves (director and above) but never understood the value of such things. Additionally, some cultures do not put the same emphasis on such things.

In short, not everybody was raised how you were nor perhaps were as privileged.

Again, I agree that it's important to maintain your grille but I do not judge others that do not know any better.
Haha, nice sob story but if they are at my company, they make plenty of money to take care of their grill and should develop new habits if their shitty ones don't have them going to the dentist regularly.

I know more about poor than you do, guaranteed. I've traveled extensively to poor countries, donated probably your yearly salary, and have very close ties with some of the poorest countries on Earth. Separate issue.
Dude.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #31
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
I've still got one that is buried deep in my gums waiting for its opportunity to betray me at the worst possible time. It's behaved this long though, I hope my luck holds!
      07-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #32
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Yeah, I had all 4 of mine removed at once. Wasn't so bad.

Then again, I've got a high tolerance for stuff.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #33
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
yes, and i need them removed but absolute fear the procedure.
      07-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #34
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Still have all of mine.

I still have most of the parts that I'm supposed to except for a huge bone fragment removed from my nose to correct my deviated septum.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #35
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

haha OP probably did not grow up in Europe.

I don't floss daily, despite our dental hygienist telling us to do so. I asked her how many times she does daily, and she said 4-5. We did get the Oral B / Braun brushes and have used them more than a year, they are good. For some reason we are too lazy to setup the Water Pik which we also bought.

Flossing is definitely the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #36
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
My parents cheaped out when I was kid and never fixed my crooked ass teeth, which I now have to deal with/pay for.

Luckily, there's Invisalign (invisible braces)

But still, $7,500 for 70 pieces of plastic
Wow, that's how much they cost, huh? I still remember, mine cost $1,650, and my parents paid over 24 mos., no interest, imagine that.

I was already in 9th grade so by the time I got them off I was 20. Back in the day all the dental assistants were hot, so I asked one out and she said yes. She was 23 and I was so into it, holy **** I got a date with a hot 23 yo.

It went well, so I asked her for another date, and she stood me up!! No sexting and cells back then. I was crushed and my 20 y.o. ball**' lifestyle came crashing down!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #37
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
Still have all of mine.

I still have most of the parts that I'm supposed to except for a huge bone fragment removed from my nose to correct my deviated septum.
That's what all the girls say...

When they get rhinoplasty... They just blame the deviated septum...

Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
That's what all the girls say...

When they get rhinoplasty... They just blame the deviated septum...

If only.

My surgery took 3 hrs and they called in another surgeon to assist.
Fuq'd up nose with strong bones = difficult surgery.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #39
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Because the dentist is the debil
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #40
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
For some reason we are too lazy to setup the Water Pik which we also bought.

Flossing is definitely the right thing to do.
Set that Water Pik up today! I would marry mine if I could , it makes your teeth, mouth and gums feel so clean healthy and fresh, like when you leave the dentist after a cleaning. I even bought a cordless one for travel. Brush, floss, Water Pik.
      07-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #41
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The biggest contributing factor around here is lack of education. Maintaining healthy teeth isn't important to most rural people (it's expensive and tedious) so it's not emphasized in the culture. The other side of this is that they just don't know any better. Diet is a big part of it in adults but we see a lot of 2-4 year olds come in needing 16 crowns because the parents put them to bed with coke to drink, or even worse, milk, because nobody ever told them that was bad.

Lots of it is fear of the dentist too. I can't tell you how many people come in covered head to toe in tattoos but just about pass out when you try to give them a lidocaine injection. There's a guy who works for the CIA who used to come in and he'd be on the floor praying, panting, sweating and shit as soon as he saw the chair. I was like shit, if this guy ever gets captured all they have to do is say they're taking him to the dentist and he'll tell them everything. I never understood why dentists are so thoroughly feared but it is a VERY common phobia to have.
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #42
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The biggest contributing factor around here is lack of education. Maintaining healthy teeth isn't important to most rural people (it's expensive and tedious) so it's not emphasized in the culture. The other side of this is that they just don't know any better. Diet is a big part of it in adults but we see a lot of 2-4 year olds come in needing 16 crowns because the parents put them to bed with coke to drink, or even worse, milk, because nobody ever told them that was bad.

Lots of it is fear of the dentist too. I can't tell you how many people come in covered head to toe in tattoos but just about pass out when you try to give them a lidocaine injection. There's a guy who works for the CIA who used to come in and he'd be on the floor praying, panting, sweating and shit as soon as he saw the chair. I was like shit, if this guy ever gets captured all they have to do is say they're taking him to the dentist and he'll tell them everything. I never understood why dentists are so thoroughly feared but it is a VERY common phobia to have.
Probably bad experiences w/ dentists before that stuck with him for life. In grade/middle school, I had a several of bad experiences w/ the family dentist regarding tooth extractions and bite correction. I went from wanting to be a dentist to dreading them ever since.
      07-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #43
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post

Probably bad experiences w/ dentists before that stuck with him for life. In grade/middle school, I had a several of bad experiences w/ the family dentist regarding tooth extractions and bite correction. I went from wanting to be a dentist to dreading them ever since.
This... As a kid, you fear the dentist... The sound of the drills, the poking and the prodding, the cavities, the pulling of wisdom teeth etc... Then you have your pediatrician, who's almost required to be the most gentle soul ever... And one who hands you a lollipop as you leave... Grape please... So we grow up thinking of the dentist as the boogeyman or Ramsay Bolton...

I've never had a cavity, I floss frequently, I water pik every night I'm at home, I brush at least 3-4 times a day, no fillings, no issues, and I still dread having to go see the dentist... I have a couple of friends who are dentists and my usual greeting for them is how many children did they traumatized / make cry today?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #44
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Yes. I'm 29 and they never caused a problem.
Appreciate 0