E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2009 335i 160k miles low brake pedal

07-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

2009 335i 160k miles low brake pedal

Good afternoon

my brake pedal is lower and softer than it was when I bought the car back in 2012/3... I have had several brake jobs and several fluid flushes over the life of the car although annoyingly the last two times I've had the car in for work I've asked for the brake fluid to be flushed and I don't think it was done.

Anyway, I've noticed this for a while now, it's obvious because I tend to brake with the ball of my right foot to facilitate downshifting, and lately if I'm wearing boots (I often have to wear steel toes for work) and have to panic stop (I live near DC and work near Baltimore so this happens more often than it should) the right side of my foot will catch the accelerator and the engine will rev up. This didn't happen when the car was newer.

At this point I'm thinking maybe new hoses might be in order. Stock replacement or DOT approved braided stainless? If the latter, from whom? I just had new hoses put on my 2002 GTI and the brake feel on that car is WAY better and more in line with what I would expect a properly maintained car to feel like.

I am not feeling the brake pedal sink when sitting at a long stop light, so I do not suspect any of the hydraulics are faulty, although I believe MC and calipers are all original.

Anything else I should look at? Comments welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

There's a good chance your rubber brake lines are stretched out, or the caliper isn't moving in and out smoothly. At 160k miles I'd be looking at those SS braided lines and inspecting the caliper for issues (good cleaning throughout). I thought about replacing mine a month ago, but ended up flushing the lines with Motul RBF 600 racing brake fluid. My brakes have never felt better. I'm also running HAWK street pads. 100% recommend going aftermarket especially on the pads. You'll get WAY less fade (slightly less bite), and WAY less brake dust.
Idk anyone doing heel/toe shifting wearing boots but to each there own.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 07-27-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Recommendations on brake hoses? Most of my first thought vendors are out of stock. Buybrakes.com has a Goodridge kit, is that a reliable vendor and a good product?

I heel/toe because my first car was a 1984 GTI with a completely missing 2nd gear synchro, if I wanted to drive, I heel/toed Never broke the habit because I never had any reason to.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I haven't heard of the Goodridge ones so can't comment there. I think BimmerWorld and Turner make some braided hoses as does StopTech.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I haven't heard of the Goodridge ones so can't comment there. I think BimmerWorld and Turner make some braided hoses as does StopTech.
I haven't found anyone that has the StopTech ones in stock they are on backorder everywhere, looks like Turner has "ECS Tuning" brand ones in stock are those OK? They have their own Turner brand as well which are the most expensive of everything I've seen, are they better? I didn't think of Bimmerworld, theirs are really cheap but it looks like they don't have the molded on grommet things?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
I haven't found anyone that has the StopTech ones in stock they are on backorder everywhere, looks like Turner has "ECS Tuning" brand ones in stock are those OK? They have their own Turner brand as well which are the most expensive of everything I've seen, are they better? I didn't think of Bimmerworld, theirs are really cheap but it looks like they don't have the molded on grommet things?
Turner is usually good stuff. I would feel ok running the ECS brand too but they obviously outsource their manufacturing, like most companies these days so who knows on longevity. FCP sells some from a brand I haven't heard of but they don't sell junk since they warranty everythig for life
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:04 PM   #7
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Can't speak for buybrakes but I have a set of Goodridge lines on my GTO and they have lasted many years and dozens of track events. Granted, those lines were bought years ago so I have no idea on if production/QA standards have changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #8
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB20DGM View Post
Can't speak for buybrakes but I have a set of Goodridge lines on my GTO and they have lasted many years and dozens of track events. Granted, those lines were bought years ago so I have no idea on if production/QA standards have changed.
Good to know, thanks. OK I have a couple options now, time to reach out to my local guy to see if/when he can do this for me (I don't have a garage, and being outside in this weather might actually kill me...)
Appreciate 0