E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DSC Coding post shop replacement?

01-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Fmstrat
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

DSC Coding post shop replacement?

Hi all,

So I've just read through almost all of the 5 pages of search results in this sub-forum that came up when searching for "dsc," and unfortunately I'm not finding an exact answer to my question.

My DSC is failing, and after BMW read the codes they said the module is bad, but the pump is fine. I've got a new K+DCAN cable on the way, and a shop that will replace the pump and bleed the brakes for a mere 2.5 hours of labor.

That being said, my questions:

1) In this post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=2) the OP says that the coding must take place BEFORE the brakes are bled. Yet, I see in other posts that people do it after the fact. If I have the shop replace the pump, is it possible for me to drive the car home (5 miles), and program afterwards?

2) Is there a useful HOWTO for the DSC coding? From reading I understand I need to reset it to defaults and then calibrate, but not being 100% familiar with INPA/NCS/etc, I'm not fully confident in the process yet. The best I can find is this post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...76&postcount=3) but it doesn't really explain the steps.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

I wouldn't recommend it because without being able to activate the DSC you will not be able to get all the air pockets that form around the valves out.

For your other questions I cannot help, do all my coding with the OEM ISTA/p
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
Fmstrat
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
I wouldn't recommend it because without being able to activate the DSC you will not be able to get all the air pockets that form around the valves out.
That is great info, and it's not really mentioned in any other post. I assume since you use ISTA/p you wouldn't know exactly what "activate the DSC" is using other tools? I could theoretically just sit in the car with the laptop and do this as they swap the pump, but I would want to be 100% sure I have all the steps down so I don't waste their time.

Thanks!

*edit*
This might be a way to cycle the DSC during the bleeding process without programming: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...0#post21073530 Thoughts?

*edit 2*
Found this thread, but unfortunately he doesn't go into a step-by-step so I'm not sure how that works. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6#post19251896

Last edited by Fmstrat; 01-20-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

See my reply to your post in the other thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=24
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

I know some aftermarket scanners can activate the bleeding procedure but I'm not 100% if marriage between the car and DSC has to be there.

Not really my expertise since we do 99% OEM and don't run into this.

As far as the option you mentioned I don't know if the e46 will have the same characteristics since there is a little more technology in the e9x.

Wish I could help a little more and give you definites but we just have so many slight variations from year to year and car to car I can never be sure

The "pre bleeding" or whatever they mentioned is what has to be done, generally I do it after the initial pressure bleed. But it just activates it cyclically for a few seconds while it tells you what wheel to go to. It should require 2 bar off constant pressure

Last edited by Abax335; 01-20-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0