E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Omfg Sytner Harold Wood!

07-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Omfg Sytner Harold Wood!

I have been looking for a new e92 for my wife and had the pleasure of getting a quote for my next car

They offered me £12500 for my e90 325I 17k miles auto 2008 spec leather,titanium silver ,front and rear pdc .folding mirrors in px

We buy any car .com offered me £12200 cash buy

Chandlers BMW offered me £14700 to buy it cash

VERY POOR SHOW SYTNER people like you give BMW a very very bad name

shocked !
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Why? You've got to work at shopping round for a selling value as you have for buying. Depends on dealers stock levels and used targets. There's no reason they should offer top dollar if eg. they've got x number of similar vehicles in stock at that time.
      07-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

We paid £12,200 for a mini cooper s vert in early Feb of this year, same dealer is buying it back tomorrow for £11,400, I think that is pretty fair to be honest or should have I gone with the hassle of selling privately for a few more quid?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
not meaning to offend, but price it is all subjective to what someone is willing to pay. its the same when buying and selling
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
stevie996
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d M Sport

Typical Sytner (Shitner) arrogance.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

have you done a glasses value on the car

your have a good idea how much its worth with the mileage and options

it only costs £3.50
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Typical Scooba unfortunately. Expects top dollar when he's selling, expects top discount when he's buying.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

After 18 months viewing this forum I have never heard a positive comment being made about Sytner Harold Wood.....

Must be something in it if webuyanycar are offering more dosh as they really are robbing bastards!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
Typical Scooba unfortunately. Expects top dollar when he's selling, expects top discount when he's buying.
Books at £15300 I told them my local dealer offered £14700 to buy for cash so why call me and say We see your car at £12500 .

You are exactly right I wont be 3ucked over by anyone !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
have you done a glasses value on the car

your have a good idea how much its worth with the mileage and options

it only costs £3.50
I did that and it said you will be offered £15300 if it in excellent condition .It is and has low mileage full service history etc 17200mls.

I only want what others are getting IE circa 12% and a fair px .

Why would I accept a discount of £3500 on the new car then take £3300 hit on the px ???.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
You are in Sales high end products I think ???.

What would you think is a reasonable deal ??.

I asked here what deals you guys are getting several PMs said 12% plus ,several posts on here 10 to 12% all day long ,BMW are giving incentives at present as they want extra sales in Q3.

I think my E90 325i books at £15300 against a px unless I have misread Glasses guide , Local BMW buyer was advertising for stock so I called him he said £14700 cash

So what would you think was a good deal

The deal I want is around 10/12% discount from dealer the free upgrade from BMW and to do a deal I would want at least £14700 from the dealer.

What deal would you want as you imply I expect to much What would make you happy if it was your money you was spending ??

regards Scooba

Last edited by scooba0010; 07-30-2010 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
After 18 months viewing this forum I have never heard a positive comment being made about Sytner Harold Wood.....

Must be something in it if webuyanycar are offering more dosh as they really are robbing bastards!
I spoke to Harold Wood a year ago and had a excellent quote for a E91 320d msport auto

I ended up buying a Merc C 250 from Sytner and got a good deal more than a £1000 better than my local Lookers Merc outlet.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
It's not a crime to offer less than a cars worth, 95% of valuations I've had from dealers over the last 6 weeks has been just that, it's the same as selling, you need to haggle.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
sounds like you need to put in a bit of work.
when i sold my last car i did it through the private channel to get the best money for it, was a bit of extra work on my behalf but i got more money than any trader was offering. some satisfaction in that for me personally. but some people cant be arsed with the hasstle.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I can't see anything wrong with his approach, he is wanting normal discount available on his new car and is actually willing to accept less than book by a small margin for his trade in. They are offering him hugely less than book and will never come up the £2000 to meet his other offer and if they did increase by that amount I certainly wouldn't do the deal with them given they tried to shaft him right off.

I hate the " shop around and come back to me with your best price and we will see if we can match it" line, just give me your best hiy now, if its best you get the deal, if it isn't your strategy has lost you the sale. Yes a bit of negotiation room and work when both selling and buying is needed but within reason.

No doubt a Sytner forum rep will be along soon to speak to the sales person involved and suddenly the offer will be increased! The fact their stance has been this so far shows their true colours not the damage limitation that will follow.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:30 AM   #16
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Scooba, did you go into Sytner HW, or did you do everything over the phone?

Assuming this was all done over the phone just for a moment pretend you are the buyer for Sytner and not a punter phoning around trying to find a price for your car...

If you were a buyer, would you straight away offer top money for a car, having not met the seller, not sure if he's serious or just phoning around canvassing for offers, and with the possibility that the £14k +/- that the punter is claiming may not actually be true? (assuming this is over the phone)

If you phoned ME up and asked for a price, I'd ask you to come in so I can have a look at the car and discuss what you are potentially going to buy. You can imagine how many calls a day dealers get asking for quotes that end up being used to play dealers off one another.

Also, I'm curious about this WeBuyAnyCar company - did you just speak to them on the phone or did they see your car? I've heard from a few friends that this company give a price over the phone, then when they see the car they end up knocking around 20% off their quoted valuation because of nicks and dents and other things that can only be seen if you're on drugs
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post

No doubt a Sytner forum rep will be along soon to speak to the sales person involved and suddenly the offer will be increased! The fact their stance has been this so far shows their true colours not the damage limitation that will follow.
This really pisses me off. God knows I've had MAJOR issues with Sytner Harold Wood in the past - it's been well documented on here and I've sworn blind I'd never go back to their service department.

But this whole thing trying to piss on Sytner at every opportunity really annoys me. Because they're forum sponsors and so deserving of every attempt of an attack?

Why should a Sytner forum rep, being Anneka, suddenly make the offer increase? She's not here so people can squeeze every drop out of a sale or part exchange. It's nothing to do with her - if the buyer at Harold Wood chooses to offer £2000 below book, that's his prerogative and nothing to do with customer service. It's bad business on his part, but that's his pain, not anyone else's.

Why should there be any need for damage limitation from Sytner/Anneka? Business is business - just because Scooba doesn't get the deal he wants doesn't mean that the business in question is forever damned ?!

The buyer at Harold Wood obviously doesn't like the car, or doesn't want the business. His loss. What's the point of Scooba bitching about it and others getting on the slating bandwagon?! Sytner have done nothing wrong - they have just been behind in the business acumen on this potential deal.

The OP has been offered a good price for his car by his local dealer. He wants to see if Sytner HW can better the deal. They won't, probably not they can't. For some reason their buyer is being an ass. Tough. I would bet that the OP has also contacted a couple of other dealers in and around his area, and I would bet that none of them have come close to the £14700 offered by his local. Why doesn't he bitch about those dealers too?!

Ah, perhaps it's because they're not forum sponsors so there'd be no public backlash...

Incidentally, this rant isn't directed personally at Scooba, so I hope there's no offense taken. - he just happens to be the latest person ranting about a Sytner dealership.

It's more directed at the forum in general. If people have genuine misgivings about Sytner, and one of the dealerships has done something wrong or has failed in their customer service or service duties, then please rant about it all you like so that the problems can be sorted. But throwing your toys out because you don't get what you want is a shameful excuse to have a pop
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #18
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Sytner Leicester gave me a good price from my Astra but I'd hardly say offering a low price is shameful! Sytners are a successful business with a great reputation - they didn't get that way by being cr4p at doing deals!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #19
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post

Incidentally, this rant isn't directed personally at Scooba, so I hope there's no offense taken. - he just happens to be the latest person ranting about a Sytner dealership.

It's more directed at the forum in general. If people have genuine misgivings about Sytner, and one of the dealerships has done something wrong or has failed in their customer service or service duties, then please rant about it all you like so that the problems can be sorted. But throwing your toys out because you don't get what you want is a shameful excuse to have a pop
Steady on Tony. Sytner may sponsor this forum now, but I remember the good old days when the UK forum survived without any commercial interests.

When you buy a new car a game is played out between the dealer and the customer. You would like to think that a dealer who is about to take £30k of a valued customers money would play fair, but sadly they don't. Sytner in my experience are as bad as any other dealer and they will try every trick in the book to pull the wool over a potential customers eyes.

The will lie to your face telling you that a certain deal cannot be done, but if you go back to them with evidence that someone is offering something better than they have, they will match it in 5 minutes. They play mind games with the little 'business manager' bloke in the box as bad cop, vs the good cop salesman, they also use bait and switch tactics to drop you into cheaper cars on a bad deals, by making you think you can't afford better. They will happily sell cars with zero discount and ridiculous APR to gullible customers, especially those who don't understand flat rates.

Unfortunately, for 99% of us the dealers have the experience and the skills to make a deal that benefits them at our expense. There are not many transactions that you make in life that are so one-sided and where the end game is so unclear.

Scooba doesn't have a great hand to play, Sytner will see this and they will exploit that. I'm sure you are right that this lowball trade in offer is because of the telephone approach. But if he DOES go and see that dealer now the salesman will think Christmas has come early.

Let's not get sentimental about the way that dealers work. They will lie, cheat and cajole to get you to spend more than the going rate on your car.

Then once you BUY your car there are some pretty fancy showrooms and salesmen in sharp suits to support, so how about charging £150 plus VAT an hour for labour? And if you round it up, will anyone notice? and what about coding, I know no-one is working on the car, but the customer doesn't understand that, so they'll probably pay a labour rate for it, which means you can make double money out of one engineer! Fantastic, plus you can also add a couple of litres to ALL of the oil you sell. And with company cars, lets just say its a perfect opportunity to sell a set of new brake pads and discs at every service, because no-one checks and no-one cares.

It's not JUST Sytner, but they are certainly guilty of it (everything I have mentioned above happened in Sytner dealerships in my personal experience). Whilst it's nice to have a link to a BMW dealer on this forum, we should not loose sight of the unfortunate reality of the way that they run their operations.

Last edited by NFS; 07-30-2010 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Steady on Tony. Sytner may sponsor this forum now, but I remember the good old days when the UK forum survived without any commercial interests.

When you buy a new car a game is played out between the dealer and the customer. You would like to think that a dealer who is about to take £30k of a valued customers money would play fair, but sadly they don't. Sytner in my experience are as bad as any other dealer and they will try every trick in the book to pull the wool over a potential customers eyes.

The will lie to your face telling you that a certain deal cannot be done, but if you go back to them with evidence that someone is offering something better than they have, they will match it in 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, for 99% of us the dealers have the experience and the skills to make a deal that benefits them at our expense. There are not many transactions that you make in life that are so one-sided and where the end game is so unclear.

Scooba doesn't know how to play, Sytner will see this and they will exploit that. I'm sure you are right that this lowball trade in offer is because of the telephone approach. But if he DOES go and see that dealer now the salesman will think Christmas has come early.

Let's now get sentimental about the way that dealers work. They will lie, cheat and cajole to get you to spend more than the going rate on your car.

Then once you BUY your car there are some pretty fancy showrooms and salesmen in sharp suits to support, so how about charging £150 plus VAT an hour for labour? And if you round it up, will anyone notice? and what about coding, I know no-one is working on the car, but the customer doesn't understand that, so they's probably pay a labour rate for it, which means you can make double money out of one engineer! Fantastic, plus you can also add a couple of litres to ALL of the oil you sell. And with company cars, lets just say its a perfect opportunity to sell a set of new brake pads and discs at every service, because no-one checks and no-one cares.

It's not JUST Sytner, but they are certainly guilty of it (everything I have mentioned above happened in Sytner dealerships in my personal experience). Whilst it's nice to have a link to a BMW dealer on this forum, we should not loose sight of the unfortunate reality of the way that they run their operations.
Si, please don't insinuate that my rant has anything to do with the fact that Sytner have a commercial interest in the forum. I'm not that transparent and I think I do my job here representing members and business very fairly and without bias.

My annoyance with all this has nothing to do with the fact Sytner are sponsors - my approach would still be the same if there was no commercial interest in the forum. I receive nothing for their commercial activities on here, so ultimately I have no allegiance one way or another. If they paid me, then yes the commercial aspect can be questioned. But they don't...

I'm not defending the way Sytner conduct their business - I am very aware of all the shameful tactics they, and other dealers, use to enhance a business deal in their favour as much as possible. I think any customer approaching a deal with the thought that the dealer is going to help them or be on their side needs to have their head examined.

I don't think Sytner have made a decent offer and it may be because the conversation has been done on the phone, or the buyer is just disinterested. It could be arrogance. To be fair, it doesn't really matter though does it? The deal is not favourable to Scooba, so he looks elsewhere. It's not his loss - he has nothing mandating him to go to Harold Wood to buy a car.

My annoyance has to do with the fact that Sytner in this instance, or it could be any other dealership or business, gets slated not necessarily by the OP but by other members commenting, when they have in principle done nothing wrong!! The only thing 'wrong' is they haven't presented a good deal in the FIRST instance!! Is that really a crime and an anti-Sytner bandwagon created because of it?!

However, I'm more pissed off because it appears that many members on here see Anneka's role as Sytner rep on the forum as running around increasing valuations, getting cheap pricing and doing all she can to enhance Sytner's reputation and to provide damage limitation. My original rant was in response to DavyK's cynical post about raising the valuation and subsequent damage limitation, and not really against Scooba's compliant about their lack of business acumen.

Anneka's actual role is to be a customer service liaison between forum members and the various Sytner dealerships. She gets involved if there are any servicing issues, or if members are having difficulty communicating effectively with their dealers. Yes, from time to time she organises group buys for the benefit of forum members, but she is not here to deliver their business for zero profit. The reason why she came on to the forum was due to the ongoing problems with the servicing department at Harold Wood. Since then, her role has grown and of course Sytner have benefitted from her presence on the forum - there is a commercial interest from their point of view and I'm not saying there isn't. However that doesn't give members the right to disrespect her and the business she represents, when they don't get a 'yes' to every demand made.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #21
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Business is business...everyone is out there to make money...you cant blame them..im sure we all do it in our own line of work..
      07-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #22
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Still struggling to see how offering a low p/x price is giving BMW a bad name?!

Have any of you that are moaning actually sold stuff for a living? You don't sell much by being a pushover but of course you do everything professionally.

Accusing them of lying, cheating, etc - a bit harsh I feel. Of the many dealers I've dealt with over the years, they've kicked the other's backsides for service. Sure they won't get it right every time but I feel a lot of this is just ranting at a successful dealership chain. Name me one successful business that has got to a high level without the odd mistake or occasional streak of ruthlessness?
Appreciate 0