E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Loud Air Conditioning Buzzing/rattling sound? Video attached

09-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
AD18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Loud Air Conditioning Buzzing/rattling sound? Video attached

Hi all,

I've tried searching for this problem but haven't found anything, or I'm not searching for the right thing but I have noticed when the air conditioning is in use, there is a noticeable rattle/buzzing sound.

This sound only appears when the A/C button is pressed (see video) and it builds and drops with the revs of the car. I'm not really sure what this could be, but with the hot summer we had this year it definitely became noticeable especially at low speeds.

Any ideas what it could be or certain things i should look into?

The car recently went in to have the air con blasted to remove musty smells and I saw that it was also 'topped up' but I'm sure its been going on for a while.

Video link below, just turn your volume up to hear what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

sounds like the compressor. I had a similar noise in an old 911 and it was apparently due to low refrigerant not lubricating the compressor. I have no idea about these but presume the refrigerant pushes the oil through the compressor? so low refrigerant, bad lubrication. Perhaps take it back and get them to check levels.

But with all noises, could be anything!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
AD18
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
sounds like the compressor. I had a similar noise in an old 911 and it was apparently due to low refrigerant not lubricating the compressor. I have no idea about these but presume the refrigerant pushes the oil through the compressor? so low refrigerant, bad lubrication. Perhaps take it back and get them to check levels.

But with all noises, could be anything!
I think you could be right. Ive tried to do a bit more searching and came across this video which is pretty much the same problem. Poster stated that his was "low on refrigerant and lubrication oil for the compressor".

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

sounds like it. Did you take it back to the aircon guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
AD18
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
sounds like it. Did you take it back to the aircon guys?
Haven't managed to yet. It was an indy I went to, its due to go back in soon so will update with what the outcome is.
Appreciate 0