E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I've been flagged and denied - almost solved.

05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #23
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Went in for an oil change and fuel pump replacement, which there was a recall for anyway. . . . . played it fair and honest with the dealer knowing that one way or another, they would/will find out about my mods. I'm beyond upset right now. They wont do anything to it and have flagged it. . . . seriously, I'm extremely down about this. I've been so anxious, nervous, and worried all these weeks about this situation, and now, the worst outcome that could have happened to me, happened to me.

Please, save the "You pay to play," and "you should have known" comments to yourself. I'm not new to this forum or ANY of the issues currently circulating on the forum regarding the 335 and warranty issues. So unless you have something positive or enlightening to say. . . . I'd sincerely appreciate it if you guys kept the rubbing of the issue in my face to a minimum. Try to understand the situation I, as well as others, are in. I wasn't even given a chance. . . . I've talked to Shiv and he's disappointed with this non sense as well. They say nice people finish last, well, I'm sure it's because they let people walk all over them. Should I have taken my procede and intake out and tried to fraud the dealer? Sure, but why. . . . we all know that they can/will find out if it's been tampered with. The techs and I had honest conversations about BMW and their crack down tactics. Its a dead end.

I'm sorry about this super emo post guys, but to a die hard enthusiast who has loved his car for over a year now, this is very disturbing news.

shit chokes me up.
I'm sorry to hear about this man, but you shouldn't have been honest with dealer. It's been proven in the past, that in the end they'll save their own asses instead of taking care of the customer and at the first opportunity charge the customer for something they know is not his fault.

Hopefully they didn't enter it into the database. Like others have said, go to another dealership and give them a shot. Like it or not, it's us against them. I'll be more than happy to lie to them. The people who have been denied warranty were those who left mods in like a Procede, DP's, etc.

GL bro.
      05-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

There is a recall letter and assuming your VIN is in the target list, it is a recall and not a warranty claim.

Go back to stock, pay for an inspection and get them to unflag you.
      05-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
The Other Tom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Hang in there, man. Things will work out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #26
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

In that huge thread where I got into it with a few other members about why we feel the need to screw BMW, I recounted the other people on this board who have been denied replacement of the inherently fuel pump. It's a shame you had to be the next victim.

With that said, take the procede out, print whatever link was posted in the recall thread, and take it to another dealership. It's not the end of the world yet. Just try every dealership you can. Eventually, someone will take you in.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

Thats a bummer they voided tour warranty, but it almost seems like a separate issue. I'm not sure why a procede should affect your service contract. Also not sure why they wouldn't still have to replace a recall part. They'd replace it if your car was out of warranty from 60k miles on the clock. Good lick fighting this. Hope you come out on top
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
There is a recall letter and assuming your VIN is in the target list, it is a recall and not a warranty claim.

Go back to stock, pay for an inspection and get them to unflag you.
Can they not honor a recall notice? didnt think that was possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Can they not honor a recall notice? didnt think that was possible.

I don't know the law in the US but if a car OEM issues a recall, it triggers another set of rules.

Just confirm, it is a recall and the VIN is on the list.
      05-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #30
calleballe
ExPAt
Rep
Drives: E90

Perhaps the DINAN ECU upgrade is the only safe way to go since dealers offer this themselves...

Either way, I knwo this is not what you asked for. Remove all mods, go to diffrent dealer and have them inspect your car.

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #31
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
This is They cannot void your warranty unless your mods caused damage. They cannot just void it.

They should replace your fuel pump because it was a recall anyway.

I don't know....try to push more and mention a lawyer. Look up your California laws and see if you can do anything about it.
BMW can do whatever they want, it may not be fair, but what do they have to lose. Its the client that has to intially pay for the time, effort, and money required to take his case to court.

My friend was in a similar situation with his passat. There was a recall on the control arms and because he had non-oem springs and shocks they would not replace the control arms even though it was a recall.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #32
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
SIB for the fuel pump

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=FUEL+PUMP+SIB
      05-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #33
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

A poster in another thread "worst case..." suggests that a dinan flash might restore a warranty in such situations. I don't know the logistics you'd need to jump through, or if its feasible, but might be worth looking into if you get no joy on the warranty.

I'd fight the warranty issue (after trying with a clean car at another dealer), but then fight the recall installation even harder.

I'd be optimistic on the recall, less so on restoring BMW warranty if they have concrete info on an engine mod/tune.

Like other posters, I think the cash --> SA isn't helpful in these times. Clearly, BMW corporate is pushing hard and an SA would be risking his job if they circumvent the rules blatently. Maybe they'll ignore an extra air-flow optimizing pinstripe, but less and less will ignore serious engine mods/tunes. This is especially likely for any type of mods related to examples in the BMW SIB notice.

I do want to acknowledge that you were upfront with the dealer and think you should be proud of that, even though it didn't work out. Unfortunately, blacklisting warranty work for unrelated issues encourages everyone to be more clandestine with their mods.

Absolute best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #34
ohten
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Find and read about the Magnuson Moss act.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #35
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

what dealer was this? i can only assume irvine, because i know for fact sterling and crevier don't usually give a shit about mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #36
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Bummer to hear Boost.
Good of you to be honest, but as you said, you should have removed the Procede before going in.
Dealers lie and screw customers about stuff and make the most money they can from customers, so you should feel absolutely NO obligation to be Honest Abe with them.
Plus removing the PROcede (or any other mod) before going in for service is NOT lying. You are simply bringing the car back to stock for service. Another reason I'd never get DP's on a car either, too much trouble for installation and removal just for service.

As others have said too, the fuel pump failure is WELL documented as being a problem (especially with pre March 2007 built cars) so they absolutely can NOT blame your mods on that.

As others have said, take your mods out and go to another dealer!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #37
MFL101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RRS SC

Did you not remove tune before service?!?!

Leaving an intake or exhaust (minus DPs) for service would be fine in 99% of cases, but leaving a tune is a sure fire way to get some lazy tech to blame something on your tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #38
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX View Post
They cant deny service without a cause. They need to PROVE that the procede caused the pump failure. Go back in and ask them for proof. Or go to another dealer, you should only be flagged at that dealer. (???)

Dealerships around here dont care, You really should have taken the procede out when you went it for the fuel pump. They wouldnt have cared about the intake, plus how can an intake cause a fuel pump failure when its running more efficent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
This is They cannot void your warranty unless your mods caused damage. They cannot just void it.

They should replace your fuel pump because it was a recall anyway.

I don't know....try to push more and mention a lawyer. Look up your California laws and see if you can do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX View Post
Its illeagal to "VOID" a warranty. All they can do is deny service. You definitly need to back in and argue a litte and not get pushed around. They will back down.

They must prove your procede caused the damage, if they cant then tough shit, they will have to fix it. I still dont get why you didnt take it out since you were going in for a pretty big issue. A fuel pump is not a small minor issue.

Make friends with an SA, honestly thats what you should have done in the first place. Thats what we all should do so we dont ever get cornered. When you go in for service give an SA $20 or something and tell him lunch is on you. ALways take the car to the same SA, youd be surprised how far this would go.
WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
They CAN void that part of your warranty based on mods, all the need to prove is a CONNECTION between them NOT that it caused the failure.

There is however a nice little term called pattern of failure, and in this case a fuel pump EASILY falls into this category and should be replaced without PROOF that the mods caused it to fail where it otherwise would not.
+1 They are BMW, it would cost you WAY more to fight them in court then it would cost to fix the problem

Neema, I told you, they are being shady. My car has been flagged and warranty denied as well. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, and this situation sucks, you are in the same boat I am in now.

But guys FYI, they didn't replace MY SQUEEKY BRAKE PAD SENSORS because I had catless DP's on the car.

In the end it's really not worth fighting over, but this situation SUCKS. I will never buy another BMW again because of this, and it sucks because I love my car. But I brought my G35 to the Infiniti dealer with TONS of mods, I replaced the Pulleys With UR (Unorthodox Racing) Pulleys, and they WARRANTIED the pulley belt, Never once did they say one word to me about any mods, even ones that were directly related to the problem.

It leaves a very sour taste in my mouth and I feel your pain Neema, Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss this further, with a little more obsene language.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #39
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Only for certain vin #'s
And it is VERY easy to correlate Proced to HPFP failure, watch;
Proceed = more HP
More hp = More boost + more fuel
More fuel causes additional strain on the HPFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Bummer to hear Boost.
Good of you to be honest, but as you said, you should have removed the Procede before going in.
Dealers lie and screw customers about stuff and make the most money they can from customers, so you should feel absolutely NO obligation to be Honest Abe with them.
Plus removing the PROcede (or any other mod) before going in for service is NOT lying. You are simply bringing the car back to stock for service. Another reason I'd never get DP's on a car either, too much trouble for installation and removal just for service.

As others have said too, the fuel pump failure is WELL documented as being a problem (especially with pre March 2007 built cars) so they absolutely can NOT blame your mods on that.

As others have said, take your mods out and go to another dealer!!
Car gets red flagged and vin # is sent out nationwide to ALL BMW dealers. BMWNA will not pay any service center for any warranty repairs while the car is red flagged.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #40
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

How much does it cost out of pocket to replace a fuel pump??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #41
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
How much does it cost out of pocket to replace a fuel pump??
List price on the part is $950
+ Labor

It is not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #42
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
WRONG!

+1 They are BMW, it would cost you WAY more to fight them in court then it would cost to fix the problem

Neema, I told you, they are being shady. My car has been flagged and warranty denied as well. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, and this situation sucks, you are in the same boat I am in now.

But guys FYI, they didn't replace MY SQUEEKY BRAKE PAD SENSORS because I had catless DP's on the car.

In the end it's really not worth fighting over, but this situation SUCKS. I will never buy another BMW again because of this, and it sucks because I love my car. But I brought my G35 to the Infiniti dealer with TONS of mods, I replaced the Pulleys With UR (Unorthodox Racing) Pulleys, and they WARRANTIED the pulley belt, Never once did they say one word to me about any mods, even ones that were directly related to the problem.

It leaves a very sour taste in my mouth and I feel your pain Neema, Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss this further, with a little more obsene language.
a pulley belt and a Fuel pump have a little bit of a price difference, a procede that changes the whole Ecu and a pulley are a little different as well. slap a turbo on that G35 and take it to the dealer or maybe some Nitrous see what your dealer tells you. Its not just BMW. its ANY DEALER. They wanna pay as little as possible and we want them to pay as much as possible. Like someone else said earlier. US vs THEM, and if we have to be sneaky then so be it.
      05-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #43
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

what i dont get and maybe you bmw guys can enlighten me because im about to be one too....i dont get all this worry about going to the dealer? i've had a G35 for over 3 years and not once did i go back to the dealer for anything. Should I prepare myself for tons of visits to the dealer? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #44
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
a pulley belt and a Fuel pump have a little bit of a price difference, a procede that changes the whole Ecu and a pulley are a little different as well. slap a turbo on that G35 and take it to the dealer or maybe some Nitrous see what your dealer tells you. Its not just BMW. its ANY DEALER. They wanna pay as little as possible and we want them to pay as much as possible. Like someone else said earlier. US vs THEM, and if we have to be sneaky then so be it.
Regardless of the part BMWNA was going to pay over $1000 to my dealer to fix it, IF THEY WANTED TO. My SA WANTED to do the work, $1000 warranty is $100 in his check. BMWNA doesn't want people to mod these cars.
Appreciate 0