E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ebay HUD

06-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Ebay HUD

It looks like those cheap ones work pretty well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excelvan-5-...VasKtD&vxp=mtr

You can't see it well from your seat but people can see this cheap plastic thingy with a cable sitting on dash from the outside when parked. Plus can you imagine pulling into a parking lot or driving slow by the people at night?
I might as well use my phone as HUD (just as speedo) and put it away when I get off the highway.

this is the best one I could find so far
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uinversal-C...JaQLxV&vxp=mtr

It only displays the speed and doesn't look lousy like the one above.
It is smaller and won't draw that much attention.

If you know a better option, please share.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

ecs tuning has one from bmw the euro factory version.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...302361627~geb/
      06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The cheap ones are exactly that, cheap.

I've tried four of them and all are terrible for the same reasons.

At the least you must use the reflective plastic screen on the windshield to make the image appear properly.

Then unless there is a shade to prevent you from seeing the screen itself, the display panel shines into your view making the reflected image ineffective.

I've tried placing a shroud around the display but the angle is so shallow it does not help.

Hiding the wires is pretty easy if you get the flat phone like OBD2 cable, but that is the only plus.

Don't bother.

Or save yourself some money and buy the phone app instead and try it out. You'll quickly find out what I am talking about and scrap the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah phone app works great at night but it is useless during the day.

I think HUD is not useful during the day anyways since you can see the road far away.
At night, you are looking at the speedo and if something comes on the road right at that moment, you could be in trouble. So I just need it for that purpose.

I will just get the little one and see what happens.
OEM retrofit is too much for this old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
The cheap ones are exactly that, cheap.

I've tried four of them and all are terrible for the same reasons.

At the least you must use the reflective plastic screen on the windshield to make the image appear properly.

Then unless there is a shade to prevent you from seeing the screen itself, the display panel shines into your view making the reflected image ineffective.

I've tried placing a shroud around the display but the angle is so shallow it does not help.

Hiding the wires is pretty easy if you get the flat phone like OBD2 cable, but that is the only plus.

Don't bother.

Or save yourself some money and buy the phone app instead and try it out. You'll quickly find out what I am talking about and scrap the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

One of my other project ideas is to use a little OLED/MOLED screen and tie it with some kind of arduino. And have my Android head unit send wireless data to the hud and use Kustom widgets with Tasker to display that data reflected.

But, I know nothing about Arduinos I already managed to capture navigation info from Google maps. And capturing media info is even easier.

Last edited by gamesfrager; 06-11-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one's great. It's small and got the hood around it. I can see it clearly during daylight. it's not that noticeable on dash. the only complaint is you can see the whole unit reflected to the windshield during the day. If you put right next to center speaker/vent grill, it should be fine.
Appreciate 0