E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sunroof stuck in vent position and won't close

08-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Sunroof stuck in vent position and won't close

I have already attempted to do the following:

1. Re initializing the sunroof by doing the vent button hold for over a min, no luck.

** The motor however did crank over like it should when trying to open and close the glass, almost like it is not catching the glass on the track?

2. Checked thew fuse for the sunroof and it was clean and working properly so no luck there.

3. Opening up the head unit behind rear view mirror and manually cranking the motor with 4mm wrench and it moved smoothly with no issues.

All these cases lead me to assume the motor is working properly so something inside the actual housing must have come loose or snapped? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
IISevv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tlink View Post
I have already attempted to do the following:

1. Re initializing the sunroof by doing the vent button hold for over a min, no luck.

** The motor however did crank over like it should when trying to open and close the glass, almost like it is not catching the glass on the track?

2. Checked thew fuse for the sunroof and it was clean and working properly so no luck there.

3. Opening up the head unit behind rear view mirror and manually cranking the motor with 4mm wrench and it moved smoothly with no issues.

All these cases lead me to assume the motor is working properly so something inside the actual housing must have come loose or snapped? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
There are gears inside the motor unit that can become stripped and won't turn. Therefore the motor can physically move but the gears won't lock together
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
There are gears inside the motor unit that can become stripped and won't turn. Therefore the motor can physically move but the gears won't lock together
Forgot this thread was still a thing haha, turns out that the gear actually snapped in half. Ordered a new one, popped it back on and reinitialized the roof and it was all good! Good call!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
5TO4EVR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Forgot this thread was still a thing haha, turns out that the gear actually snapped in half. Ordered a new one, popped it back on and reinitialized the roof and it was all good! Good call!
Quote:
Quote:

The gear that broke... was it a small little metal cog that actually slides on to the spindle on the motor? I'm having the same issue! My sunroof is stuck open in the vent position as well and I've tried all those same steps. I just took it apart to find that small metal gear piece was broke.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TO4EVR View Post
The gear that broke... was it a small little metal cog that actually slides on to the spindle on the motor? I'm having the same issue! My sunroof is stuck open in the vent position as well and I've tried all those same steps. I just took it apart to find that small metal gear piece was broke.
Yes, replace that cog and reinitialize the roof. Should solve your problem!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can buy just a cog gear?
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Amazon has them and fleabay
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #8
JC_AD335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I know this thread is kinda old, but can someone send me a link to a cog gear that fits a 2010 E92 335i. I haven't had any luck finding one💀
Appreciate 0