E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CD/DVD spinning when car is off

02-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #1
e92srb
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi

CD/DVD spinning when car is off

So whenever I sit in the car and I have the key fob in my pocket but I don't turn anything on yet, I don't hit any buttons or anything, sometimes you can hear the CD/DVD spinning. I'm wondering why would electronics turn on when I didn't turn on anything. I know some lights turn on when you open the door, etc etc. but I don't think you should hear a CD/DVD spinning when you get in the car before you turn anything on. Idk if this matters but I have comfort access and I have a 07 E92 328xi that has the DVD for nav and regular cd of course.
I'm also wondering if maybe this keeps happening while I am away from the car while its parked and turned off...
Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

It's normal. It does it after you turn the car off too. I think it's the nav constantly updating itself from the dvd with map info (so it can do your route quicker because it has already loaded map data around your location). If it bothers you, just take the dvd out.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The car "wakes up" when you unlock it and it will start to turn on all the computer modules to get ready. You're hearing the iDrive unit booting up. It's normal.

The car will go to "sleep" about 15 minutes after no activity.
Appreciate 0