E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW Clubsport OR TC Kline w/Swift

09-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcusick View Post
Had tck. Serious quality issues. Go with kw clubsport m3 hybrid kit. Kw now makes a kit to allow m3 suspension on the 335. Harold can set you up with swift springs if you want. However kw clubsport springs are pretty good. Hybrid kit is 400#/800# spring rates. Cost is only slightly more than regular e92 clubsport kit.
I am working with Harold on my suspension for 335i..I am doing all the M3 suspension parts front rear, subframe bushing, sway bars, and i am going to be running an OS Giken LSD.

I am doing Swift/AST coilover but I am on the fence with what spring rates to run..400/800 is what is recommended by Harold..but I was debating going a step down to 350/700 for comfort reasons..live in NY and worried about driving on bumpy roads....

Can anyone comment on spring rates set up and how it feels on the street?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #24
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

For e93 owners no more harsh than stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #25
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcusick View Post
For e93 owners no more harsh than stock.
e93?..convertible?..what spring rates do u run?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

400/800
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I just installed KW Clubsports on the weekend.

I love the ride, it's slightly firmer then stock but with a more planted road feel.

The coilovers are able to process all the small bumps and road irregularities alot more easily, thereby feeling more comfortable.

I've had V1's and V3's, and I feel the Clubsports would do fine for my use if I decided to go to the track or run stickery rubber.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I am curious..does KW Clubsports run progressive or linear springs..The spring rate sticky says it use 400/570 frnt/rear spring...Curious how it feels in the rear b/c thats a lil smaller spring rate than most of the other coilover systems in its class..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin416 View Post
I just installed KW Clubsports on the weekend.

I love the ride, it's slightly firmer then stock but with a more planted road feel.

The coilovers are able to process all the small bumps and road irregularities alot more easily, thereby feeling more comfortable.

I've had V1's and V3's, and I feel the Clubsports would do fine for my use if I decided to go to the track or run stickery rubber.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #29
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Not sure if this is a dumb question but what is the diff between KW v3 & KW clubsport.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

They are two diff coilover systems offered by KW..KWv3 uses progressive springs and they are dual adjustable, rebound and compression.

Clubsports I believe use linear springs (not sure) -w/ 400/570 spring rates also not sure if they are single or double adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Not sure if this is a dumb question but what is the diff between KW v3 & KW clubsport.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #31
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
I have done much research and have talked extensively with Harold at HP Autowerks, so I have a good idea of what is best. I have the KW V2s on the car atm and at some point I will 100% go with the swift springs. They are quite unbelievable in their versatility between street use and track use. The KW springs are really nice for everyday driving but they are quite incapable at the track. It is cheaper to get shocks with the springs and build your own kit than buy KW and do the swift conversion (although it is a VERY good setup).

If I had to do it again, I would have gotten koni shocks with swift springs or AST coils with swift springs. Here is an added commentary on the swift springs by my buddy Tyler.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11994300

Good luck!!!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #32
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
I have done much research and have talked extensively with Harold at HP Autowerks, so I have a good idea of what is best. I have the KW V2s on the car atm and at some point I will 100% go with the swift springs. They are quite unbelievable in their versatility between street use and track use. The KW springs are really nice for everyday driving but they are quite incapable at the track. It is cheaper to get shocks with the springs and build your own kit than buy KW and do the swift conversion (although it is a VERY good setup).

If I had to do it again, I would have gotten koni shocks with swift springs or AST coils with swift springs. Here is an added commentary on the swift springs by my buddy Tyler.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11994300

Good luck!!!
Small world I am working with Harold as well..I am doing the whole M3 suspension and Swift/AST setup..My biggest dillema is trying to decide on spring rates..He and alot of folks are recommending 400/800 as the way to go..and I think this is prolly what I will do..I was considering 350/700 or 400/700 b/c I wanted some added compliance for street driving..but honestly after talkin to so many people the AST dampers are just so good that 400/800 seems to be the way to go.

Last edited by tibra1; 09-29-2010 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #33
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I am curious..does KW Clubsports run progressive or linear springs..The spring rate sticky says it use 400/570 frnt/rear spring...Curious how it feels in the rear b/c thats a lil smaller spring rate than most of the other coilover systems in its class..
The KW Clubsports have linear 60mm id springs for the front and larger diameter linear rate spring in the rear.

Keep in mind, KW's valve technology is far superior then the rest of the other coilovers out there. Their philosphy is running a softer spring rate and let the valving do its work. - in the majority of cases. This setup produces a more easier and predictable setup for driving and usually more traction and instills more driver confidence.

Now there would be a compremise if you where running some super sticky tire and therefore would have to run a higher spring rate to compensate.

But then again, you're already compremising by using the vehicle for dual purpose (daily driving and track use).

If I was in your situation, I would pick up the KW's run the setup it comes with. See how it goes, if you end up over powering your springs due to a softer tire setup - get some higher spring rates. Atleast you'll have a far superior damper then the competition.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #34
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They are two diff coilover systems offered by KW..KWv3 uses progressive springs and they are dual adjustable, rebound and compression.

Clubsports I believe use linear springs (not sure) -w/ 400/570 spring rates also not sure if they are single or double adjustable.

V3 - independent rebound and compression adjustable, progressive rate spring utilizig factory top mount

Clubsport - independent rebound and compression adjustable, adjustable camber plates for front, linear rate springs - additional cost is mostly made up from the top mounts, those German made top mounts are so costly due to the high quality (quality of bearings utlized)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The KW Clubsports have linear 60mm id springs for the front and larger diameter linear rate spring in the rear.

Keep in mind, KW's valve technology is far superior then the rest of the other coilovers out there. Their philosphy is running a softer spring rate and let the valving do its work. - in the majority of cases. This setup produces a more easier and predictable setup for driving and usually more traction and instills more driver confidence.

Now there would be a compremise if you where running some super sticky tire and therefore would have to run a higher spring rate to compensate.

But then again, you're already compremising by using the vehicle for dual purpose (daily driving and track use).

If I was in your situation, I would pick up the KW's run the setup it comes with. See how it goes, if you end up over powering your springs due to a softer tire setup - get some higher spring rates. Atleast you'll have a far superior damper then the competition.

I would have to disagree with you that KW v1-v3s are in even in the same league as ASTs (twin tube vs monotube)..(not sure about Clubsport) when it comes to valving AST are on par with Ohlins, JRZ, Motons but no where near their price... the interesting thing is that when you have superior valving on a damper it necessitates a higher spring rate to properly match the damping charcteristics..another thing is I would be running Swift Springs w the thrust sheets which definitly improve ride quailty ..what I am trying to gauge is the how much ride quaility suffers between say a 700 spring in the rear vs an 800..I have had long conversations with guys running these heavier spring rates along with the proper damper and they swear the ride comfort is even better than stock..another to keep in mind is the actual rear wheel rate on the e92 is so poor that an 800 spring would translate to about 450-500 at the wheel.

The general consensus is that since I am running the M3 subframe busing as well as an LSD an 800 spring would be optimum..I just wanted to pick your brain as regards to the ride quality on the KW Clubsports..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #36
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you that KW v1-v3s are in even in the same league as ASTs (twin tube vs monotube)..(not sure about Clubsport) when it comes to valving AST are on par with Ohlins, JRZ, Motons but no where near their price... the interesting thing is that when you have superior valving on a damper it necessitates a higher spring rate to properly match the damping charcteristics..another thing is I would be running Swift Springs w the thrust sheets which definitly improve ride quailty ..what I am trying to gauge is the how much ride quaility suffers between say a 700 spring in the rear vs an 800..I have had long conversations with guys running these heavier spring rates along with the proper damper and they swear the ride comfort is even better than stock..another to keep in mind is the actual rear wheel rate on the e92 is so poor that an 800 spring would translate to about 450-500 at the wheel.

The general consensus is that since I am running the M3 subframe busing as well as an LSD an 800 spring would be optimum..I just wanted to pick your brain as regards to the ride quality on the KW Clubsports..
Hey tibra1, We talked about this and I just can't stress enough riding in a car with the setup you're thinking of. We all have different views on what's acceptable comfort and what's not. Although this is difficult it is the only way to know you're going to get what you want.

Also, The 335 really needs a shorter bump stop in the rear when lowered. I would suggest it even if you only lower a bit. I believe Dinan does this and maybe some other tuners.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Small world I am working with Harold as well..I am doing the whole M3 suspension and Swift/AST setup..My biggest dillema is trying to decide on spring rates..He and alot of folks are recommending 400/800 as the way to go..and I think this is prolly what I will do..I was considering 350/700 or 400/700 b/c I wanted some added compliance for street driving..but honestly after talkin to so many people the AST dampers are just so good that 400/800 seems to be the way to go.
I believe I talked with you over the phone, haha.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #38
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Hey tibra1, We talked about this and I just can't stress enough riding in a car with the setup you're thinking of. We all have different views on what's acceptable comfort and what's not. Although this is difficult it is the only way to know you're going to get what you want.

Also, The 335 really needs a shorter bump stop in the rear when lowered. I would suggest it even if you only lower a bit. I believe Dinan does this and maybe some other tuners.

Ur rite..it is all very subjective to each driver..THX
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #39
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I believe I talked with you over the phone, haha.
Oh crap..I have talked to soooo many people I am losing track..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #40
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Oh crap..I have talked to soooo many people I am losing track..
I was talking with you at HP I believe.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #41
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was talking with you at HP I believe.
I honestly cant remember are you running HP Autowerks setup?..if so what dampers, spring rates?..How does it feel?.. Sorry if these questions are redundant.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #42
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I wouldn't compare V1 or V2 to the other brands, as they are non adjustable (V1) and rebound adjustable only (V2), where as the V3 and CS are 2 way adjustable (R&C) - I wouldn't want to get into the topic of mono vs twin tube, each has their advantages.

Just go with the 800 spring and try it out (and if others already did the homework), really in the end whats it cost you? A set of 2 rear springs?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #43
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Absolutely I agree..I myself was gonna go with KW but what I didnt like was the fact they come w progressive and not linear springs..

Quote:
I wouldn't compare V1 or V2 to the other brands, as they are non adjustable (V1) and rebound adjustable only (V2), where as the V3 and CS are 2 way adjustable (R&C) - I wouldn't want to get into the topic of mono vs twin tube, each has their advantages.

Just go with the 800 spring and try it out (and if others already did the homework), really in the end whats it cost you? A set of 2 rear springs?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #44
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
another thing is I would be running Swift Springs w the thrust sheets which definitly improve ride quailty ..what I am trying to gauge is the how much ride quaility suffers between say a 700 spring in the rear vs an 800..I have had long conversations with guys running these heavier spring rates along with the proper damper and they swear the ride comfort is even better than stock..
Just a little feedback. The ride comfort using Swift Springs is incredible, but the 'smooth as stock' feeling is only for the front driver and passenger. Less so for the rear passengers.

I've had my setup for >1 year, but did not realize until recently (a couple months ago), that many of my friends complained at how harsh the ride was in the rear passenger seats. Certainly better than expected, but still a LOT harsher than stock was their feedback. Whereas the front was as comfortable as stock, the passengers complained they felt every jolt in the rear. They would not want to ride long distance in the rear.

I'm running KW V3 w/ Swift (336/672 - dampening 3 from firmest front / 9 from firmest rear).

I was really surprised by the feedback. It's really interesting because we in the front feel the ride is as smooth as stock (LOVE IT!)

So keep this in mind. By going to 800, the front ride quality will still be good, but the rear passenger ride quality will definitely be even harsher. Do you want to trade off by setting your rear dampeners even softer?

Looking to hear more supporting statements from other Swift spring owners. Like I mentioned, we drivers don't get to sit in the rear that much, so this is probably why the feedback has been limited up until now.

Please have your front passenger move back to the rear passenger seat, or have someone drive your car and perform the experiment yourself. Or maybe the other way would be cooler. Have them start in the back, and then move to the front to 'wow' them with your Swift setup

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0