E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - automatic transmission ZF 6HP19-21 solenoids replacement

05-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #23
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Great thread.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
Ruedaloca
simple me
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 330i Sport package

Hello,

I'm experiencing the hard jolt from 2nd --> 1nd after stops, even by manual switching the gear.
This started after changing the trans oil. So I'm wondering whether it is a solenoid, or the inside gaskets, etc

Do I need to change all the solenoids ? or can I change only one, in order to solve the 1nd and 2nd switching ?

Also, any guide where to buy those solenoids ? I have seen refurbished on ebay.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruedaloca View Post
Hello,

I'm experiencing the hard jolt from 2nd --> 1nd after stops, even by manual switching the gear.
This started after changing the trans oil. So I'm wondering whether it is a solenoid, or the inside gaskets, etc

Do I need to change all the solenoids ? or can I change only one, in order to solve the 1nd and 2nd switching ?

Also, any guide where to buy those solenoids ? I have seen refurbished on ebay.

Thanks,
This job is enough of a PITA you only want to do it once, therefore I recommend you:

1. Replace all the solenoids - don't buy refurbed. I got mine on eBay.
2. Rebuild the valve body with sonnax zip kit and new plates/gaskets
3. Replace foam separator.
4. Replace all 4 rubber seals.
5. New pan and bolt kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #26
JuzLykToEat
Registered
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
How would you describe that RPM flutter you mention..?? I'm thinking about doing the valvebody solenoid replacement on mine as when I upshift from 3rd to 4th, it does a brief "jolt" forward before settling into the normal RPM range when upshifting.. All other gears are smooth shifting, and i have no issues on downshifting, this only happens when going from 3rd to 4th.. Think it's those solenoids that are causing my issue..?? I've drained, flushed, and replaced the trans pan/filter & fluid just recently and that made no difference in my issue.. I reset trans adaptations and it actually got way more noticeable, so I'm hoping the solenoids are my fix..
Sorry for digging this up after so long. I have the exact same problem! Changing the fluid and pan and reseting the adaptations made it more noticeable as well. Did you manage to fix the issue by changing the solenoids? Or you changed something else as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #27
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzLykToEat View Post
Sorry for digging this up after so long. I have the exact same problem! Changing the fluid and pan and reseting the adaptations made it more noticeable as well. Did you manage to fix the issue by changing the solenoids? Or you changed something else as well?
I fixed it permanently by selling the car and getting an F30 lol..

I needed a reliable daily driver and the routine every weekend maintenance was really hindering my work schedule..
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      12-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #28
BozoBlaster
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E28 1984 533i, E92 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzLykToEat View Post
"Four years later"
Having the same issue as well, have you had this issue resolved yet? I was going to ask beastmode the same thing but he just gave the problem to someone else. Is this problem with an n54 the corresponding auto transmission? I hope its been long enough that you've found a solution as it being an uncommon issue it still seems that its out there hiding in the grass.. starting to look into a solenoid kit, and as far as resetting adaptations, would I be able to do that with my xhp TCU flash license? I've done a fluid / pan filter change to no avail. I've also been experiencing a shuddering issue that I described in detail on another thread of mine.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862454
Any and all guidance is much appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0