E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2008 335 Conv order placed, huge discount 12-14K

09-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #23
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

The real savings should come from this:

Talking to the salesman for a lower final price, the lowest and closest to the invoice.
Lieu tax exception form for military personnel to completely waive the registration taxes
The European delivery (about 9%) of the MSRP. If you are actrive duty,reservist,dependent or whatever you can fly Space A and pick up the car at no flying cost(Space A)

That is about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #24
SilverFox2
Blackhawk Pilot
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335 CONV

I'd like to respond to some of the issues brought up:

The shipping cost of $2150 includes shipping, insurance and the federal import tax (2.5%).

Federal Import Tax liability in the USA through the military sales program is charged at 2.5% of the total value stated on the Bill of Sale. As a general rule the criteria for free (non-taxable) importation is that the owner must have been stationed abroad for 140 consecutive days and has taken physical possession of the vehicle while stationed abroad. A copy of official military (PCS) orders must accompany the vehicle being shipped and as some US ports of entry stipulate a minimum mileage requirement in order to avoid Import Tax, it is also recommended that your vehicle be shipped with a minimum of 500 miles at the time of importation. Depending upon whether you are Military, Civilian (GS) or DOD contractor, the rules can vary. If you’re unsure just check with the relevant department or visit the official US Customs Website and navigate to the relevant section. http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/impor...al_vehicle.xml

The sales tax (use tax) charged by your state Dept of Motor Vehicles can be avoided if you have the car delivery delayed. Each state is different, for me it works out to be 90 days. As long as the car is not delivered into my state from time of purchase before the 90 window, I am exempted from paying the 8% sales tax(use tax). My dealer is working with me on my delivery so that my cars arrives after the 90 day limit. Check with your DMV and see what works, the advice here is to research, reseach, research. I am only trying to help others in getting some good deals if one knows how to work the systems.

State Sales Tax liability on a purchase through the military sales program?
In the case of State Sales Tax it is impossible to list definitive criteria, as each individual state views both rates and liability differently. As a general rule you should expect to pay some form of tax upon first registration in the USA. However, as a military person you may qualify for exemption or if the vehicle has already been bought and owned out of state (sometimes for a specified time period) this may also fulfil any criteria for exemption. It’s always wise to try to obtain first hand information from the appropriate local office. For an overview of the various State rates click www.taxadmin.org then navigate to the relevant section.

The base price issue:
How are prices in the military sales program set, or do I have to negotiate in order to obtain the lowest possible price?
No, this is an element of the BMW program that military customers like the most - you don’t have to do battle with a salesperson to get the best deal. The lowest price has already been negotiated on your behalf and prices are set in US Dollars (unaffected by daily currency fluctuations.). No agency within the Military Sales Program may arbitrarily alter the prices. The price you see is the price you pay and everyone pays the same!

For more info, see www.pentagoncarsales.com
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
very nice deal, if it's not too late, get the heated seats and PDC. you will miss it.