E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > PCV Valve Heater Recall - Does This Require Valve Cover/Gasket Replacement?

11-07-2018, 05:04 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
True words about tool costs. However, if you like tools and have other stuff you may work on in the future, then it EVENTUALLY becomes a cost-saving course of action. $1000 isn't terrible, but yes, you can save money by DIY and buying OE vs Genuine (which is the same thing that your shop does if its smart). If its the same part, its the same part -- even OEM is different than OE.
If you've read my posts on my E90, I've estimated I've saved about $18K in DIY labor. I have 3 other cars, all which I've saved DIY labor as well; and that just the current fleet and doesn't count the other 10 cars or so I've had over my lifetime. I fix my own cars as a hobby, which was borne out of necessity. When I was 16 I couldn't afford a new car, so a inexpensive used car was the only option. Cars from the 1970's required far more maintenance than cars from the '80s and beyond do. 14 years ago I built a dedicated building on my property just to work on cars and a shop side for house maintenance (it's 250 years old in some parts...). Anyway after 40+ years of wrenching on my own cars I'm definitely far a head in the DIY game than most, even after dropping $40K or so on my current shop. So I can attest to what you said is absolutely true, except when looking at repairs on a case by case basis, comparing what it costs to have a professional mechanic repair a car (even a BMW) is not that out of bounds if one has to start DIY'ing on his own. Like I said most BMW owners do not DIY.

While I admire Chuck Thomas' DIY acumen, he's posted about some serious DIY work at times, I just wanted to point out that for Chuck, paying $1,000 for a valve cover and ESS seems outrageous, but to the average owner, who just wants his car fixed without hassles, writing a check is the far better option for that person. Zeit ist Geld.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #24
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI

I noticed this post turned into a service cost debate so I figured I'd post my experience.

I was quoted $564 for the valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor gasket, valve cover aluminum bolts and a brake clean. This is a reputable shop that I've been taking 2 separate cars to for a few years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateface View Post
I noticed this post turned into a service cost debate so I figured I'd post my experience.

I was quoted $564 for the valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor gasket, valve cover aluminum bolts and a brake clean. This is a reputable shop that I've been taking 2 separate cars to for a few years now.
Not a bad price, but the OP was also quoted the ESS, which is a $600 part from a dealer repairing the car, so add that to your price and your Indy is in the ball park.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #26
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateface View Post

Not a bad price, but the OP was also quoted the ESS, which is a $600 part from a dealer repairing the car, so add that to your price and your Indy is in the ball park.
To be fair, you can get the OE part (from original manufacturer) vs BMW branded for under $200.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, you can get the OE part (from original manufacturer) vs BMW branded for under $200.
But the Dealer or the Indy is not going to by the part on line for $200 and then not mark it up.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #28
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But the Dealer or the Indy is not going to by the part on line for $200 and then not mark it up.
True...a lot of Indy's I went to in the past were really upfront about it though and said they had a 20% markup, which is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True...a lot of Indy's I went to in the past were really upfront about it though and said they had a 20% markup, which is reasonable.
Most all Indys have a few number of parts suppliers they use for parts; it is easier to conduct business that way regarding payment and volume discounts, etc., so the Indy is not going to go find the lowest price for you. If it is some one-off Russian BMW reseller, it's not worth his time to get you the lowest part price.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #30
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most all Indys have a few number of parts suppliers they use for parts; it is easier to conduct business that way regarding payment and volume discounts, etc., so the Indy is not going to go find the lowest price for you. If it is some one-off Russian BMW reseller, it's not worth his time to get you the lowest part price.
I don't disagree with this.
Appreciate 0