E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Dash Cams in Eastern Canada - GTA**

08-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP & F15 X5 35D

Dash Cams in Eastern Canada - GTA**

Hello guys,

I was wondering how popular these dash cameras are in Toronto. I know that ever since Ragu Story hit the media, these dash cams are in demand. However, I would like to know how popular they are.

Also, do you guys know any shops that do installation for these dash cameras?

Any input would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
Alex
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Hi Alex,

There were a few group buys here in GTA.

Personally, I purchased a Blackvue DR400G-HD and although I was tempted to get the PowerMagic II installed, didn't really want to mess with the electrical and get hassled by BMW since my vehicle is under warranty.

I do see alot of them around Pacific Mall, perhaps with the large influx of cheaper dashcam models.

There are some installers and I think there is one in Scarborough that does a really good job.
      08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

i've purchased the Blackvue DR400G-HD as well. I'm not impressed by the image quality and there are heat/card writing issues with the units. Its known on the forums as many are experiencing the issues.

I bought my parents the cheaper $30 ebay ones (which they sell $80 locally in toronto), and to be honest, they'll do the job.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP & F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post
Hi Alex,

There were a few group buys here in GTA.

Personally, I purchased a Blackvue DR400G-HD and although I was tempted to get the PowerMagic II installed, didn't really want to mess with the electrical and get hassled by BMW since my vehicle is under warranty.

I do see alot of them around Pacific Mall, perhaps with the large influx of cheaper dashcam models.

There are some installers and I think there is one in Scarborough that does a really good job.
Thanks for your input.

I don't know if simple fusebox hardwiring could be an issue for them. I have three dash cams all hardwired, but I did not have any problems with Audi so far.

What kind of models do drivers in GTA prefer? Couple months ago, people did not care about using the cheaper Chinese dash cams, but more and more people in Vancouver are choosing Blackvue or Finevu over them. I wonder if it is the same in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
i've purchased the Blackvue DR400G-HD as well. I'm not impressed by the image quality and there are heat/card writing issues with the units. Its known on the forums as many are experiencing the issues.

I bought my parents the cheaper $30 ebay ones (which they sell $80 locally in toronto), and to be honest, they'll do the job.
Where did you purchase your DR400G from? If you bought through authorized dealers in Canada, you should be covered under warranty.

Be aware though with the Chinese blackbox that the looping time between videos varies. Therefore, in the worst case scenario, while a new video file is being created, you might be hit with an accident and have no video evidence. Not to forget their battery sometimes burst in the hot weather. There are many cases in Asia that these cheaper dash cams blow up in the car.

Thanks for all your input!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Revision2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 2011 E90 M3

I'd say that in general they are in demand as I've noticed a sudden increase in the number of stores carrying them and people checking them out. The reality is that a lot of people can't justify spending $200+ on a dash cam when, as jacewong stated, a $30 - $60 range one is seen as good enough for most people and there are plenty of stores around selling in that price range, not to mention DealExtreme, Ebay, and Kijiji. Sure it they may not have all the bells and whistles and don't look as sleek but a lot of people don't care once price is factored in. As a buddy of mine once said, "at $200+ I'd rather get a good enough camera and spend the rest on car parts or a nice dinner". To further the point, my father in law has been asking me about them and I'm going with a sub $100 one because when I mentioned the BlackVue / FineVue and pricing he balked and said "I don't need so fancy".
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

The one in my car facing front is a $35 ebay special 1080p... the one facing the rear of my car is a $25 ebay special 720p...spend the extra $15 and gety the better one lol. Both prices were shipped to my house. I could post which make they are, or even a video online so you can see the difference

I wouldn't mind seeing the difference between some of these higher end models as well.

EDIT: both models have audio and one has already helped Police to determine who was at fault (long story but 1 vehicle ran the light and hit a van turning with a buncha children in it, the guy said he didn't run the red, my video showed otherwise)

Brad
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
The one in my car facing front is a $35 ebay special 1080p... the one facing the rear of my car is a $25 ebay special 720p...spend the extra $15 and gety the better one lol. Both prices were shipped to my house. I could post which make they are, or even a video online so you can see the difference

I wouldn't mind seeing the difference between some of these higher end models as well.

EDIT: both models have audio and one has already helped Police to determine who was at fault (long story but 1 vehicle ran the light and hit a van turning with a buncha children in it, the guy said he didn't run the red, my video showed otherwise)

Brad
You are the man !
I hate those mofos that do stupid shit and don't even have the balls to admit it.

I am considering one, mind pming me which one you have?
      08-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Shearer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post

Brad
Yeah, I'd love to see some videos from it, and the make would be great too.

Is there any time lapses between videos?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Po_Boy
Rep
Drives: WTB E92

I installed one in my civic pretty easily. I just cut a T bracket to fit and tapped into the 12 v cigarette for power.
They have lots for pretty cheap at dealextreme.com. Some of them even have videos posted by other customers
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

This might be off the general talk in this thread but I just bought a GoPro2 with the car adapters for this exact reason.

Came to around $300 and I went and got a 64GB memory card. Works amazing plus you can always make some cool videos while your at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

johnniewalker and Shearer , Im actually on holidays right now (I know, Im a loser checking e90 post) but I will post videos of both, as well as brand and ebay links as soon as I get back.

Both of my cams only have a 8 gig card in each. What it does is it records in 2 min (or longer/short) increments and when the card is full it starts to overlap the existing video. So pretty much I never have to play with it, I just turn on the car and it turns on.

Like Po_Boy says, you make a "T" in the cig power line and connect 1 (or in my case both) cams and your set. Later on in life when you dont want the cams all you have to do is cut the wire and cap it or Black tape it and its back to normal.

I took my time hiding the wires and it probably took me n all of 10 mins. Several people at work cherped me about the cams...then several days later ordered the exact ones I had LOL

I TOTALLY believe in karma, If I'm at fault, I'm at fault. Sure it sucks but whatever, life is a lesson. This is just a piece of mind that if somebody tries to pull a fast one, at least I have video evidence (best evidence in ANY court) to back me up.

shaginwagon13, you can deff do it that way. Before I purchased these I had my kodak 1080p action cam I used for snowboarding but I figured for the few bux, and someone not trying to break into my car for my camera (as well as not having this huge thing in front of me) I would just grab one of these. If it doesnt bother you, then Id say keep that one.

Also, I'm not putting anyone down for spending $300 on a dash cam, I'm sure those are 100% better then mine but I'm just super cheap and dont wanna spend that much.

Brad
Appreciate 0