E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #287
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Donnington View Post
My SA told me that if they didn't update my software the my warranty may be voided. I then called BMW NA and they confirmed it as well. That's all she wrote boys and girls.
aaron
Indeed, this may be a problem. Normally, there is no need to update as a precaution during a regular shop visit.

But right now, BMW has issued a warning (actually it's two separate warnings) about injectors and DME software:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...C3%9Cbersetzen

This is not a recall, but an update will be done to affected cars (this source says 35.000 worldwide) on regular stopovers or if problems should arise.

Other sources, like Autobild (http://www.autobild.de/artikel/motor...mw_730901.html), speak of 55.000 cars worldwide. Most sources say that only new DIs are the culprit (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...3640_13987.hbs), at least the injectors in the 335i are a different type than all other 3 series.
My car is not affected by any of these two problems, despite being produced in the 3/07 to 1/08 range.

You can translate the german pages with http://babelfish.yahoo.com

Last edited by meyergru; 07-09-2008 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #288
mmike70
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 Sedan/6MT

Here's another data point for those who are watching...

I did a European delivery of a 2008 335i w/ manual in May where we drove the car 3100 miles over 25 days. Car was built mid-April and just took redelivery yesterday.

Noticed three changes in behavior...

First, there is lag now, reminds me of an automatic kickdown delay. Before, in Europe, I could be doing 30-40 mph in third gear from sea level to 7000 feet, it didn't matter and the throttle response was instant and forceful. Now not so much.

Second, I had to be careful because coming from an E46 sedan, the extra power took some getting used to. In Europe, doing a rolling start but then flooring the gas would cause the rear tires to break loose in first. No dumping of the clutch involved. Now, nothing. DSC light never blinks and there's not even a little tire spin.

Third, and this one contradicts what some others have been saying. The exhaust note in Europe was louder. More raw, rough...I loved it. I couldn't believe BMW would put that kind of sound in a regular 3 series but I was happy they did. To use a car rag cliche, there was a "hint of Italian operatics" from 4-7K RPMs though not a burble or pop sound as others have reported in lower gears. Now it sounds more typical, more subdued but definitely quieter. Compared to what I had, I hate it.

I'll see what the dealer has to say about this tomorrow.

Last edited by mmike70; 07-09-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #289
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike70 View Post
Here's another data point for those who are watching...

I did a European delivery of a 2008 335i w/ manual in May where we drove the car 3100 miles over 25 days. Car was built mid-April and just took redelivery yesterday.

Noticed three changes in behavior...

First, there is lag now, reminds me of an automatic kickdown delay. Before, in Europe, I could be doing 30-40 mph in third gear from sea level to 7000 feet, it didn't matter and the throttle response was instant and forceful. Now not so much.

Second, I had to be careful because coming from an E46 sedan, the extra power took some getting used to. In Europe, doing a rolling start but then flooring the gas would cause the rear tires to break loose in first. No dumping of the clutch involved. Now, nothing. DSC light never blinks and there's not even a little tire spin.

Third, and this one contradicts what some others have been saying. The exhaust note in Europe was louder. More raw, rough...I loved it. I couldn't believe BMW would put that kind of sound in a regular 3 series but I was happy they did. To use a car rag cliche, there was a "hint of Italian operatics" from 4-7K RPMs though not a burble or pop sound as others have reported in lower gears. Now it sounds more typical, more subdued but definitely quieter. Compared to what I had, I hate it.

I'll see what the dealer has to say about this tomorrow.
F*CK I did ED in May and had an April build...and you just exactly described my car in every way. Redelivery is in 2 weeks for me...AAAAHHHHHH
      07-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #290
PiperG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

So are they updating your cars before they hitch a ride across the pond? Updating the progman with no reason is uncool.
2008 E90 335i.| Montego | Black Leather| Aluminum Trim | Premium | Sports Package with 18's | Sirius Sat Radio | Comfort Access | Rear fold down seats | Ordered on May 05, 2008. | Born on May 15, 2008 / Delivered July 23, 2008
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #291
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
i
and if you believe your car drives the same or better than with pre-29.2, you should've seriously considered lexus.
Yanno, I almost kinda take offense to that...

I posted this in another thread but here it is again for those who may not have seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92782 View Post
Here is a video of my car accelerating prior to the V30.0 download:

And here is a video of my car accelerating after getting V30.0:

Can you tell any difference?

BTW, I noticed the display between the tach and the speedo has a different typeface/font now.
For the record, sometimes I think my car feels a little more laggy than it did before but most of the time I don't think so. I always noticed the lag even before V30.0 (my previous car was a CTS-V w/ 400HP LS6 V8).

The one thing I do notice the most about the V30.0 software is that the exhaust is louder, mostly at idle and when pulling away from stop signs, etc. I understand there's a solenoid that opens and closes a flap in the exhaust and I suspect it stays open a bit more of the time now with the new software. Whether or not this was intentional or simply an "oops" on the part of BMW's engine control firmware group...who knows.

I haven't seen any difference in fuel economy. It doesn't suddenly suck. I did a quick experiment this past weekend: Cruise control set at 73mph indicated, flat ground, no a/c, driven over 50 miles = 32.2 MPG on the computer display.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #292
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperG View Post
So are they updating your cars before they hitch a ride across the pond? Updating the progman with no reason is uncool.
They update them at the VPC upon arrival. Probably not just ED cars, but all new cars hitting the port.
      07-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #293
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
They update them at the VPC upon arrival. Probably not just ED cars, but all new cars hitting the port.
I know, that at least back with the E46, there was a reason for this: In order to meet EU regulations, the ED cars had a special programming for driving over here, which had to be switched back to US regulations upon redelivery.

For example, acustic signaling of door locking was not allowed, winker and brake lights had to be separate and who knows what else (maybe even DME changes in order to meet emission requirements).

I'd ask my dealer if they could skip the DME update. Alas, since it is done in the VPC already, he may not be able to influence that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #294
mmike70
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
F*CK I did ED in May and had an April build...and you just exactly described my car in every way. Redelivery is in 2 weeks for me...AAAAHHHHHH
Let me know how it goes and I want to hear what you think about the exhaust sound. In my case, before I said anything about it my wife actually said the car sounds quieter and she never notices these things.

The best way I think I can explain the overall behavior to the dealer is in Europe, the car felt like it had a V8 while now it feels like what it is, a regular turbo 6.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #295
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike70 View Post
Let me know how it goes and I want to hear what you think about the exhaust sound. In my case, before I said anything about it my wife actually said the car sounds quieter and she never notices these things.

The best way I think I can explain the overall behavior to the dealer is in Europe, the car felt like it had a V8 while now it feels like what it is, a regular turbo 6.
I absolutely loved the exhaust tone in Europe. I was literally floored on how great it sounded. When I hit that start button, it seemed like a hungry V8 just came to life.

This really sucks, I can't believe they would take that away. Also, I don't think I can stop the VPC from doing the progman update. Let me see if I can find that thread where the guy had his computer upgraded at the VPC upon redelivery.

Edit: here's that link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=283503
      07-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #296
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I posted this about two weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
Just go back from the BMW dealer an hour ago and I let the Sales manager drive my car. He could not belive what he was driving!!! He then took me with him and we drove his 07 335i (NO ECU UPGRADES) and it was a completley different car. ABSOLUTLY NO TURBO LAG. And here is another thing...we parked the cars side by side and started both up...(they were both warm) and his had a completly different sound. His car had a great sound mine did not sound at all like his. I could here the difference between our cars. His sounded raspy and very good and mine I could hardly hear. Anyway, he got together with the SM and they are going to summon the regional service tec rep. I am thrilled that someone at the dealership noticed the difference and what a sizeable difference it was with about 5 people standing behind our cars when revving them a little. Ill keep ya posted!!
I posted this about a week ago...
Quote:
The sound???? Has anyone noticed the sound difference?? The car I test drove and the car I have now sound completely different. The demo'd had a really nice throaty sound and the car I have has a very plain muffled sound. Sorry I've been out of the loop for a week or so, I've been in Hilton Head Island on vacation. I even stopped by the BMW dealer on Hilton Head just to ask if they had any problems and the SM told me that he has had some complaints about lag on the THREE 335's he has delivered in the past month but has no suggestions from BMW yet...
      07-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #297
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I posted this about two weeks ago

I posted this about a week ago...

I totally forgot about that. Any updates?
      07-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #298
mmike70
Rep

I missed this too...all the other posts I read talked about how the 29.2 flash made their car louder but this at least means that I wasn't just imagining the change in noise.

It sounds like the sales manager is on your side. To have someone at the dealership admit there may be a problem is half the battle.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #299
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

No real update from me, but I wanted to comment on the noise.
I've pretty much narrowed down my supa-loud exhaust to first gear only. After a cold start, the valve stays closed for about 15 seconds. Then it opens FULLY at the SLIGHTEST, and I mean like 5% throttle, ONLY in first gear. Very odd huh?! What this means is that driving ina parking garage makes it sound like I have some kind of full race catless exhaust - VRRRRRRROOOOM - pop pop popoppopop - and all I'm trying to do is find a parking spot. lol. A shift into second and no more loud drone or popping on throttle lift. Also in first gear, as I've said, I get a VERY loud flap-closing clanking/clicking metal noise when I touch and release the throttle. This part of the noise sounds very cheap and makes the car sound broken.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #300
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Unhappy

I deffinitely noted the change in exhaust note - much more subdued and the car does feel different then when I picked it up in April 08 on ED. There does seem to be more lag and softer throttle response as well. I should give BMWNA a call and add to the list...

This is my first BMW and little things like this taint the experience a little

Maybe the change in exhaust note it to help marketing sell more of the new BMW Performance Exhaust System now listed as an E92 accessory

"BMW Performance Exhaust System $1,862

An engine that exhales easier is an engine that will run smoothly, rev higher, accelerate faster-but that's not all. As the RPMs escalate, so does the exhaust note, creating a racy but never intrusive sound. Now drivers can not only feel the enhanced performance, but hear it with every shift and acceleration."

Gee - kind of sounds like what my car sounded like while driving in Europe
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #301
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Great...this sucks.
      07-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #302
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

just get some 1/8" tubing (very short bit) and a check valve like a uspplastic kynar check valve in 3/16" and turn off that silly exhaust flap. takes about 2 seconds to install/remove when the exhaust is hot. i seriously doubt the flap has any backpressure benefits since the turbo(s) are more restrictive than any part of the exhaust tract. if the really wanted a nice symetric implementation they would have spent $20 more and modulated two wastegates for both exhaust sides. However from an engineering standpoint having a single point of failure to shut the engine motor down if both wastegate (muffler) shutdown completely would be like sticking a banana in the tailpipe (being a kid lol) so implementing one allows for failure in one without massively affecting run condition.

It would be fun to speak (german?) to a bmw engineer to get their philosophy and input. They do indeed watch us here but it would be a great thing for the car manufacturers to speak back to us.

Microsoft lets their DEV employees blog and chat and forum with end users.

It is really disappointing that car manufacturers can not play a more active role.

While the forum rules may exclude the manufacturers by agreement; it doesn't stop them from reading. So why not invite them to participate straight up.

Trust me you are in denial if you think BMW isn't reading this thread, and i'm sure BMW knows exactly what they did in 29.2(30) from 28 to address whatever it might be they needed to do. It is probably NDA and trade secret and general operation of their company that prohibits the direct contact of the engineers or even bmw liasons.

which is a shame.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #303
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
just get some 1/8" tubing (very short bit) and a check valve like a uspplastic kynar check valve in 3/16" and turn off that silly exhaust flap. takes about 2 seconds to install/remove when the exhaust is hot. i seriously doubt the flap has any backpressure benefits since the turbo(s) are more restrictive than any part of the exhaust tract. if the really wanted a nice symetric implementation they would have spent $20 more and modulated two wastegates for both exhaust sides. However from an engineering standpoint having a single point of failure to shut the engine motor down if both wastegate (muffler) shutdown completely would be like sticking a banana in the tailpipe (being a kid lol) so implementing one allows for failure in one without massively affecting run condition.

It would be fun to speak (german?) to a bmw engineer to get their philosophy and input. They do indeed watch us here but it would be a great thing for the car manufacturers to speak back to us.

Microsoft lets their DEV employees blog and chat and forum with end users.

It is really disappointing that car manufacturers can not play a more active role.

While the forum rules may exclude the manufacturers by agreement; it doesn't stop them from reading. So why not invite them to participate straight up.

Trust me you are in denial if you think BMW isn't reading this thread, and i'm sure BMW knows exactly what they did in 29.2(30) from 28 to address whatever it might be they needed to do. It is probably NDA and trade secret and general operation of their company that prohibits the direct contact of the engineers or even bmw liasons.

which is a shame.
+1
      07-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #304
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

I've been holding off as long as I can to take my car in because of this. I'm even worried about an oil change. I threatened my SA that if they did the update on my car, I'd make a HUGE scene and would never buy a BMW from them again.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #305
mmike70
Rep

Unless I'm missing something this won't bring the same sound back. To clip from another poster about this mod:

as for the effect, i hear it and the difference is quite noticeable especially during cold starts and the rev range up to 2500 rpm. There is a slight drone to the car when cruising around 2000rpm, but not annoying. obviously, after 2500 the flaps open anyway and the exhaust sounds the same as before. well worth doing it

The sound I'm talking about is different/meaner/throatier/more growling while cold/warm at idle/WOT/any rpm/any speed. Also this mod came out and made a difference before progman 29.2. The only way I can see this working is if the flap is somehow staying closed all the time now.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #306
rlb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
I've been holding off as long as I can to take my car in because of this. I'm even worried about an oil change. I threatened my SA that if they did the update on my car, I'd make a HUGE scene and would never buy a BMW from them again.
So what did he say? Would they do the update against your wishes?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #307
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

any news on 29.2 update? one thing i noticed few days ago, the car is almost as responsive as pre-29.2 when the engine temp is very low - ie. around 160~200F... the first 10 minutes or so after i start the car... but then as soon as the temp reaches the normal temp range - 230~250F, the car is as lethargic as hyundai sonara...

so i know that it's the ECU that contributes this behavior... as i've said before, if you are seriusly considering 335i/ix, i would wait until BMW fixes this 29.2 problem or else...

go buy M3 or nissan...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #308
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
any news on 29.2 update? one thing i noticed few days ago, the car is almost as responsive as pre-29.2 when the engine temp is very low - ie. around 160~200F... the first 10 minutes or so after i start the car... but then as soon as the temp reaches the normal temp range - 230~250F, the car is as lethargic as hyundai sonara...

so i know that it's the ECU that contributes this behavior... as i've said before, if you are seriusly considering 335i/ix, i would wait until BMW fixes this 29.2 problem or else...

go buy M3 or nissan...
to late for this sucker...I already did