E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #243
WaLLy350GT
Psshh!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Just got my alarm activated today (yesterday) and forgot to ask what software they loaded. I'll give my SA a call tomorrow.

As far as lag goes, not sure if I can feel it or not, since I drove it a few short miles home.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #244
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
iScream, that is a great idea!

meyergru, do you think your dealer would give you the number? I bet that would be our best chance of getting our dealers to help us with our laggy cars over here in the US...I, for one, am feeling like the option of waiting for a fix is not a great option...my lease is up in October.
I have just asked him and he may not tell. "Internal use only". Sorry, guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #245
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
I have just asked him and he may not tell. "Internal use only". Sorry, guys.
no prob...thanks for checking for us
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #246
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Ok, I tried to get more attention, this was pm'd to BMW NA Customer Relations, who apparently posted on this board earlier today:

Quote:
Major BMW Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I've noticed you have been able to help out past customers before. There is a large contingent of N54 engine owners that have been horribly affected by the newer progman updates (v29 and higher). They have induced a turbo lag on a car that BMW heavily promotes as having absolutely no turbo lag. Please help us find a solution, this is driving owners mad that they have paid for a $50k car, most all for the reasons BMW has advertised, i.e. a turbo car that is efficient and has high output without the negatives usually associated with a turbo car - the lag. Now BMW has taken away arguably the best feature of this car with this progman update, and given the user feedback, they are left without recourse.

This is a devastating problem and is ruining customers' belief and interest in this car. Any help you can offer directing the appropriate people to this issue is more than appreciated.

Link to thread discussing the lag issue:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147781

Link to BMW's own advertisment regarding the 335 and lag, stating "we have eliminated turbo lag altogether":
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1213042831

Regards,

Future 335i owner

Last edited by slubu; 07-03-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #247
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Ok, I tried to get more attention, this was pm'd to BMW NA Customer Relations, who apparently posted on this board earlier today:
Great note. Thanks. Can't hurt to try!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #248
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I rode with the tech expert this afternoon. Here is the news (not much you don't already know):

1. I do have 29.2 for sure

2. he acknowledged the lag when I explained/demonstrated how >3k today drives like >1500 used to -- this is important because he drove the car a couple weeks ago and, not being an everyday 335i manual driver, he had said it was fine. (It does feel fine, for a turbo car, if you don't know the car well.)

3. v30 is the latest, and due to some kind of internal systems upgrade, no new versions are planned "for a while"

4. ...therefore, not much my local guy can do about it right now, if it is indeed caused by software.

5. So, it's in the shop for a couple days so they can do all the FASTA stuff for a PUMA case, which I requested.

6. It is not possible/permitted to downgrade it, no matter how much I/he wants to do so.

At this point, I don't care if my car is the guinea pig, as long as they fix this soon. Being on a lease, I can look at the last month as a waste of my monthly payment, with the car in the shop for more than a week and driving like an A4 turbo the rest of the time. This is to say nothing of the 3-4 MPG loss in gas mileage over the last 800 miles, at upwards of $4.50 a gallon, which translates to an extra $25-30/mo in gas costs, not to mention the money they waste providing me a loaner. Hopefully BMW will get some more cases and start dealing with this problem.

I also won't rule out the possibility that it could be something that is not software related. The important part is that I was finally able to demonstrate it to a live person, and that they hopefully will be able to get to the bottom of it, whether 29.2 is causing it or not.

I'm not going to get pissy about false advertising and such (although I have pointed it out, so they know I find it unacceptable) until and unless I get some sort of "just deal with it" type answer.
I just got an update, and I did notice some of the things mentioned. Increased lag, louder at start (anybody else like this but me?), but the MPG is working it's way back up to what it was before. MPG is "truer" over time so if you were at something different...you might be driving different. I was at 23.1 before and now it's back up to 22.7 and I've only driven it maybe 200 miles since the upgrade and of course when you re-set the computer it's going to start out averaging from city driving.

I did notice that it got a little better with some time behind it.

But I really feel all the baby AT owners who complained about throttle response and kick down crap screwed those who had no issues at all...

Thanks bitches.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #249
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
I just got an update, and I did notice some of the things mentioned. Increased lag, louder at start (anybody else like this but me?), but the MPG is working it's way back up to what it was before. MPG is "truer" over time so if you were at something different...you might be driving different. I was at 23.1 before and now it's back up to 22.7 and I've only driven it maybe 200 miles since the upgrade and of course when you re-set the computer it's going to start out averaging from city driving.

I did notice that it got a little better with some time behind it.

But I really feel all the baby AT owners who complained about throttle response and kick down crap screwed those who had no issues at all...

Thanks bitches.
I religiously reset my MPG counter at every tank, and have driven 800-1000 miles since the "upgrade." Even on long trips I am nowhere near where I used to be. Maybe it's me compensating with my right foot, but either way I'm sure I'm still getting less MPG.

I didn't know that AT owners were the ones complaining about the rattle that spurred the 29.2 release. I'll take some phantom rattle ANY day over the Lag of Doom.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #250
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I religiously reset my MPG counter at every tank, and have driven 800-1000 miles since the "upgrade." Even on long trips I am nowhere near where I used to be. Maybe it's me compensating with my right foot, but either way I'm sure I'm still getting less MPG.

I didn't know that AT owners were the ones complaining about the rattle that spurred the 29.2 release. I'll take some phantom rattle ANY day over the Lag of Doom.
Leave it. If you reset it you're kind of inaccurate. You don't drive the same place/style every time.

Like I said I'm almost back to normal and I realistically drive the same patterns.

I read lots of lag off the start, harsh downshift and lurching complaints and it all seemed to be from AT guys. So if they "smoothed" out the car by reducing boost maps...that seems like a logical assumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #251
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
I read lots of lag off the start, harsh downshift and lurching complaints and it all seemed to be from AT guys. So if they "smoothed" out the car by reducing boost maps...that seems like a logical assumption.
That came to my mind first, too. Now I lean more towards thinking that the changed wastegate duty cycle reported by shiv@vishnu was introduced due to wastegate rattle complaints, as steve@dinan stated. The lag seems like an unwanted side-effect of that measure. I doubt that those complaints came solely from us AT "sissies".

If we want to point fingers here as to whose fault this was: there is a much more grateful target than any complaining customer... but it won't help, either.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #252
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
That came to my mind first, too. Now I lean more towards thinking that the changed wastegate duty cycle reported by shiv@vishnu was introduced due to wastegate rattle complaints, as steve@dinan stated. The lag seems like an unwanted side-effect of that measure. I doubt that those complaints came solely from us AT "sissies".

If we want to point fingers here as to whose fault this was: there is a much more grateful target than any complaining customer... but it won't help, either.
I think it may address similar things all in one, but it's all you lazy people who don't want to enjoy MT....and you can tell I'm poking fun at your AT people and your lazy man ways!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #253
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

don't know what you guys are talking bout the AT6 is flawless except i wish it would shift at a lower rpm. no wastegate rattles here. only flaw is ghetto-starting (several turnovers before catching). and a super crappy i-drive system that makes baby jesus want to cry.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #254
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Leave it. If you reset it you're kind of inaccurate. You don't drive the same place/style every time.

Like I said I'm almost back to normal and I realistically drive the same patterns.

I don't mean to point fingers... just pointing out that I hadn't heard the thing about the rattle until now.

What I do know is that I've filled up at least 40-50 times in this car, and every time before the service, my MPG was in the 23-27 range when I reset. The last three tanks, it's been in the 19-22 range, and my city/highway usage has definitely not varied that much -- if anything, more highway lately.

They reset my DME adaptation settings this afternoon and I have only had a few miles to test it out. We'll see if that changes anything this time around...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #255
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it may address similar things all in one, but it's all you lazy people who don't want to enjoy MT....and you can tell I'm poking fun at your AT people and your lazy man ways!
I think you mean "fat and lazy man ways"...I know I fit that description

I have 6AT and I had no wastegate rattles, nor complaints about throttle issues...I loved my car just the way it was before 29.2...now it sucks compared to what it once was...my lease is almost up and I was going to order an 09 car in July...but I'm waiting until BMW comes up with a real fix for this b/s. I really hope they can get this fixed in the next month or two...jeez
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #256
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

any news on 29.2? with the shifter at "D", the car basically drives much like 4 cyllinder camry and with "DS", the car drives no better than 328i. i don't know how much longer i can take this. so i simply drive my other cars more often. (the car's been sitting for almost a week in garage now...)

i was well aware of hpfp issue and it didn't bother me a bit. but if i was aware of this problem, i would've bought something else for sure...

if anyone is considering 335i/xi, i'd wait until bmw fixes this. (btw, i LOVE everything else about the car though... i love bmw in general and i'm not a bmw basher)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #257
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I wonder when BMW is going to change their 335i marketing regarding no turbo lag and the 0-60 time?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #258
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
any news on 29.2? with the shifter at "D", the car basically drives much like 4 cyllinder camry and with "DS", the car drives no better than 328i. i don't know how much longer i can take this. so i simply drive my other cars more often. (the car's been sitting for almost a week in garage now...)

i was well aware of hpfp issue and it didn't bother me a bit. but if i was aware of this problem, i would've bought something else for sure...

if anyone is considering 335i/xi, i'd wait until bmw fixes this. (btw, i LOVE everything else about the car though... i love bmw in general and i'm not a bmw basher)
Vin, I feel your pain...But, afaik, there's no new news besides what meyegru and ezatnova have posted above...I think most of us (besides meyergru) are still waiting for bmw to acknowledge that theres a real problem and to come up with a fix for us 29.2 fools...hopefully ezatnova will hear something from his dealership this week. I'm pretty sure he will let us know asap when he hears something new.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #259
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
I wonder when BMW is going to change their 335i marketing regarding no turbo lag and the 0-60 time?
close your eyes, breath deeply, and and repeat after me: "there is no lag, the lag is all in my head...there is no lag..."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #260
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
close your eyes, breath deeply, and and repeat after me: "there is no lag, the lag is all in my head...there is no lag..."

Thats funny...that is EXACTALY WHAT MY SM TOLD ME TO SAY
      07-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #261
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

well i guess you guys can go ahead and just upgrade to bigger turbos. if theres going to be lag, then by god let there be lag and a huge rush after it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #262
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
well i guess you guys can go ahead and just upgrade to bigger turbos. if theres going to be lag, then by god let there be lag and a huge rush after it.

07-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #263
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
Hell, go with the single pumpkin sized one.

Ah, I just felt the need to post, given that I have zero news of course.

Waiting sure does suck...\
Waiting for BMW to get off their lazy azzes and fix this.
Waiting for my dealer to call me with ANY news.
Waiting for Conforti to come out with his Shark.
Waiting on the other three not to happen in a timely manner and then get the Dinan so I can have a car at least as good as the one I bought last year that had no lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #264
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think anybody considering a purchase should worry.

I'm getting better MPG, although I've done more long highway driving, and since gas prices are high there's less traffic. I was 22.8 before, and since reset it's 24mpg.

Lag is more noticeable, but really not as bad as some describe. I am going to mention this when I bring my car in for "squealing brakes when they aren't in use at low speeds" Because I did notice a change in lag and sound after I picked up the car prior to reading this tread.
Appreciate 0