E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

08-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #485
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
The BMW dealers are already pushing it even though there is no release date. When the local BMW dealer here dropped Dinan upgrades they told me that BMW would have its own soon. The BMW Performance mods. They already have some out, but not the ecu upgrade. Guess they need to get it right first.

Also check this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ce+ecu+upgrade

I remember when the BMW flash was suppose to be released 10/07, then 12/07, then 03/08.....what are we up to now 08/08....keep waiting.

Vaporware.
      08-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #486
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
I am fairly sure I have the latest version of software, whatever that is now, because before they replaced the wastegate actuators, they did a software update that took several hours, that was about a month ago.

As for lag, I am convinced that I have less lag now than before they replaced the wastegate actuators. The car is rattle free and it runs good, sounds good, and I notice the lag I was experiencing between low gears has improved. The car is running tight!
so 29.2/30 software update and wastegate replacements works fine

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #487
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
So I write BMWNA a really nasty e-mail (I would have showed you guys but I deleted it from my email) saying that my dealership is not helping me with the lag issue and the long starts and that I'm really essentally pissed. So I get an e-mail back from them stating that they wanted my vin # and an detailed description of my problem. I pretty much thought I was just beating a dead horse, but, I got this response from them....hm.....

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We have assigned your matter to the relevant department for assessment. Please expect their direct response.

As we are experiencing minor delays due to vacation season, we highly appreciate your patience in the short interim.

Kind Regards,
BMW Customer Service Team

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Board of Management: Norbert Reithofer, Chairman,
Frank-Peter Arndt, Ernst Baumann, Herbert Diess,
Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner, Michael Ganal,
Ian Robertson
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joachim Milberg
Registered in: Munich HRB 42243

I'll keep ya posted
      08-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #488
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
So I write BMWNA a really nasty e-mail (I would have showed you guys but I deleted it from my email) saying that my dealership is not helping me with the lag issue and the long starts and that I'm really essentally pissed. So I get an e-mail back from them stating that they wanted my vin # and an detailed description of my problem. I pretty much thought I was just beating a dead horse, but, I got this response from them....hm.....

Dear Mr ******,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We have assigned your matter to the relevant department for assessment. Please expect their direct response.

As we are experiencing minor delays due to vacation season, we highly appreciate your patience in the short interim.

Kind Regards,
BMW Customer Service Team

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Board of Management: Norbert Reithofer, Chairman,
Frank-Peter Arndt, Ernst Baumann, Herbert Diess,
Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner, Michael Ganal,
Ian Robertson
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joachim Milberg
Registered in: Munich HRB 42243

I'll keep ya posted
wow... the n54 community might finally be getting somewhere....

btw... your sig is awsome
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #489
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Hmm, why does this make you think BMW is taking any of us seriously? This is just a canned response they shoot out to anybody and everybody. The only thing that will make BMW sit up and take notice is a complaint to the attorney general.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #490
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

"delay due to vacation season"....ha.. Tell them you have a delay every friggin time you press the gas pedal.

Good luck and keep us posted. My dealer is still doing JACK ZIP.

Here's the signup thread link again, for you newer folks. 24 now...not bad. 50 would be a sweet number to hit to really get some pull for a legal complaint, etc. Obviously we could put together a list with real names and addresses at that point, but at least this gives me or whoever the ability to PM the group with info, should any arise.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149136
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #491
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
wow that is crazy that you have to drive 5+ hours to get your car to work.

I am wondering. Is there anyone on here from the DC area (or neighboring states within a couple hours) who has what you believe to be a NON-lag 335i? If so, I'd like to get together and compare our cars. I'd prefer a pre-29.2 vehicle, but I'm also interested in driving one of these v29.2/v30 cars that people say has no lag.

Mine is a 6MT with sport, premium, v29.2, and lag, so that would be best for comparison purposes. I'd be willing to meet in the middle if it's not too far.
just bumping this question again, because I've seen some people on this and other threads whose profiles say they are from DC or Philly.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #492
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Hi guys, I'm new to E90post. Been following this thread for some time now and It confirms that I was'nt going crazy thinkin my car had turbo lag!

Just wanted to let you know that I took my 335i to the salesman I purchased It from and let him drive it for a while. He confirmed that there is def something wrong as I have more or less no power untill 3k, especially in 1st!

We spoke to the technical staff and they said my car was'nt the first and that BMW had some software AND hardware updates that should fix this problem. I'm turning the car in 08.09.02. Will let you all know what happens.

Btw, sorry if my english is not all that.. =/

/Pavel
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #493
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to E90post. Been following this thread for some time now and It confirms that I was'nt going crazy thinkin my car had turbo lag!

Just wanted to let you know that I took my 335i to the salesman I purchased It from and let him drive it for a while. He confirmed that there is def something wrong as I have more or less no power untill 3k, especially in 1st!

We spoke to the technical staff and they said my car was'nt the first and that BMW had some software AND hardware updates that should fix this problem. I'm turning the car in 08.09.02. Will let you all know what happens.

Btw, sorry if my english is not all that.. =/

/Pavel
Pavel, thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Sign up on the thread linked above in my post (about 3 posts up).

One question... So they are taking your car in about a MONTH? Any indication of why so far into the future? I'm hoping it's because they don't have a fix yet, but they anticipate that they will by then.

I wish you the best of luck, and I also wish that if there is a miracle that fixes your car, that it can be applied to us Yanks.

Last - your English is better than many others around here, and it's their FIRST language.

All,

I swear, I almost got P0wned by a friggin soccer mom in an Expedition this morning, taking off from a light. The car is such a friggin dog now until you wind the hell out of it.

Related to exhaust note - I found a neat trick that I do a lot now (what the hell, I need to find SOME benefit to BMW ruining my $50k car). If you cruise in first gear and let off the throttle, you get some burble/popping now, as we all already know (at least with the coupe's exhaust). But, if you then just BARELY tap the gas, rapidly, and repeatedly, the car burbles like a mad machine and sounds like a ALMS car off-throttle
Last night my friend behind me was shocked at the noises it made and barely believed me that it was bone stock.

29.2 bloooooooooooooooows. I'm so sick of it!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #494
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Related to exhaust note - I found a neat trick that I do a lot now (what the hell, I need to find SOME benefit to BMW ruining my $50k car). If you cruise in first gear and let off the throttle, you get some burble/popping now, as we all already know (at least with the coupe's exhaust). But, if you then just BARELY tap the gas, rapidly, and repeatedly, the car burbles like a mad machine and sounds like a ALMS car off-throttle
Last night my friend behind me was shocked at the noises it made and barely believed me that it was bone stock.
I noticed that recently, too. It allows you to be VERY annoying in parking garages and drive-thru's. Sounds like a $@*#ing lawn mower.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #495
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

My dealer is aware of the software problems and is holding off on updates until this gets sorted out. I have owned BMWs for over 30 years and this is the worst situation I have ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #496
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
My dealer is aware of the software problems and is holding off on updates until this gets sorted out. I have owned BMWs for over 30 years and this is the worst situation I have ever seen.
At least your dealer acknowledged your problem. I have owned BMW's for over 30 years too and I agree with you that this is the worst situation I have ever seen also. If they dont fix this problem, and I mean SOON, I will never buy a BMW agiain. I will sell them all except the bike and become a bad-mouther of BMW. If I can convince just one person to not buy there product, it would be worth it...
      08-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #497
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

I'm curious can anyone confirm that BMW has plans to release their own "BMW Performance" software upgrade?

What do you guys think? Does this question warrant a separate thread? I'm VERY curious about this.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #498
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

I recorded an AVI of my throttle response and analyzed it frame by frame. WOT to full power at 2k RPM in 2nd gear takes 1.6 seconds. WOT to full power at 3500 RPM in 2nd gear takes under 0.5 seconds. Boost threshold and all that, yadda yadda yadda, but that is a big difference. I am hoping to find someone with "no lag" who can produce a similar video for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #499
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I noticed that recently, too. It allows you to be VERY annoying in parking garages and drive-thru's. Sounds like a $@*#ing lawn mower.
so did you talk to your SA about this? if so, what was his/her response? i also noticed this sound after the progman and dme update last week. i've duplicated the sound to one of the techs that went to a test drive with me, and he knows it, but the next day my SA tells me that the foreman test drove it and didn't hear this. i know this foreman rev to 3k rpm and up on 1st, so there's very little burping sound, so obviously he would say there's no such sound. i've only had the car back from service yesterday, and i dunno how long i could tolerate this sound. any of you have any sorta updates, pls keep us posted. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #500
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Pavel, thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Sign up on the thread linked above in my post (about 3 posts up).

One question... So they are taking your car in about a MONTH? Any indication of why so far into the future? I'm hoping it's because they don't have a fix yet, but they anticipate that they will by then.

I wish you the best of luck, and I also wish that if there is a miracle that fixes your car, that it can be applied to us Yanks.

Last - your English is better than many others around here, and it's their FIRST language.

All,

I swear, I almost got P0wned by a friggin soccer mom in an Expedition this morning, taking off from a light. The car is such a friggin dog now until you wind the hell out of it.

29.2 bloooooooooooooooows. I'm so sick of it!

The technical manager told me the mechanics that could take care of the update are on summer holiday and won't be back untill end of Aug. Could be alot of BS though.. who knows..

Anyway, It's good that they aknowledge the fact that there's something wrong with the car, otherwise I would have most likely tryed to stab someone there!

I have no idea what software I'm currently running on, but my car was built early April.. anybody know?

If the lag continues after the update I will push my dealer for a new car. This time without turbos. And hopefully no stabbing will take place.

Keepin you posted.

Rgds Pavel
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #501
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post
so did you talk to your SA about this? if so, what was his/her response? i also noticed this sound after the progman and dme update last week. i've duplicated the sound to one of the techs that went to a test drive with me, and he knows it, but the next day my SA tells me that the foreman test drove it and didn't hear this. i know this foreman rev to 3k rpm and up on 1st, so there's very little burping sound, so obviously he would say there's no such sound. i've only had the car back from service yesterday, and i dunno how long i could tolerate this sound. any of you have any sorta updates, pls keep us posted. TIA!
No, my service dept is a little overworked, and strange noises tend to get bumped down the list. The shop foreman has experienced the lag, which is enough for me. Trouble is, he can't do anything about it except open a PUMA case, which he did over a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #502
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Seems like more and more dealers are acknowledging that there's a problem...but there's just nothing they can do, in reality! It's up to BMW to release new code that fixes it (or something mechanical like new wastegates. etc, that are built to match with how the 29.9 code performs.

Pavel, that is crazy that "they are on holiday" for a friggin month. Christ.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #503
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

They shut down essentially for all of August. Sucks.
      08-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #504
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Seems like more and more dealers are acknowledging that there's a problem...but there's just nothing they can do, in reality! It's up to BMW to release new code that fixes it (or something mechanical like new wastegates. etc, that are built to match with how the 29.9 code performs.

Pavel, that is crazy that "they are on holiday" for a friggin month. Christ.
The dealers can do what my dealer has done - stop doing updates until BMW fixes the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #505
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

New here. Just picked up 2008 335i coupe 2 weeks ago. It has a build of 12/07. Adaptive headlights malfunctioned in the first week and I brought it for service. Damn I wish I read these boards before I brought it in. Dealer kept it overnight and reprogrammed everything. Needless to say you all know how the rest of this story goes. In D mode the car is dog. I was even pulling out of the dealership and had to throw the pedal half way down to get the car going. DS mode seems fine but that is not a fix for the car I bought 2 weeks ago. It was a beast and I was even having difficulty adjusting to the power it put down when starting off. The car would put me back in my seat with little effort applied to the gas in D mode. I took everyone's advice here and I must have sent every BMW rep an e-mail and made several calls. Could someone post of pic of their iDrive screen that has 29.2 or later?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #506
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
New here. Just picked up 2008 335i coupe 2 weeks ago. It has a build of 12/07. Adaptive headlights malfunctioned in the first week and I brought it for service. Damn I wish I read these boards before I brought it in. Dealer kept it overnight and reprogrammed everything. Needless to say you all know how the rest of this story goes. In D mode the car is dog. I was even pulling out of the dealership and had to throw the pedal half way down to get the car going. DS mode seems fine but that is not a fix for the car I bought 2 weeks ago. It was a beast and I was even having difficulty adjusting to the power it put down when starting off. The car would put me back in my seat with little effort applied to the gas in D mode. I took everyone's advice here and I must have sent every BMW rep an e-mail and made several calls. Could someone post of pic of their iDrive screen that has 29.2 or later?
I think the screen color changes.....that's how you know you got the update. Did your iDrive screen color change?