E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

11-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #23
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM335i View Post
You know what, I'm not too sure. I should probably know that. I have read about people having this happen shortly after having the OFHG done. I'll find out if it was done and update you.
Ok sounds good. Flooring it would not be an issue unless the engine is not up to normal operating temp. See you never floored it and i do often and yet you had an issue. Thats not a reason for this problem. Just FYI. Also you dont want to floor it when the engine is brand new.

The issue with engines and what they dont like is low speed/RPM and high load/boost. Try to avoid those. Flooring it is ok as long as you do it after 3k.
Yeah, I know flooring it is fine, I was just being careful because it's new (to me), being irrationally careful I guess haha. Always let the car warm up after a cold start.

Wasn't aware of the second part regarding flooring it at low rpm's, definitely good to know, I appreciate that info. As far as flooring it with a brand new motor, I know you have to take it easy and break the motor in, but what is the threshold? 5,000 miles?

Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Another one bites the dust. Hoping my warranty company will be as easy to work with as yours, but I have my doubts.
Yeah, I've read some horror stories and it got me a little nervous. Read some stories where it wall worked out perfectly too, so I feel confident about it.

From what I understand, bringing it to your dealer, or a BMW dealership and having them handle it seems to be the easiest. Luckily, I bought my car from Long Beach BMW and they have been handling everything.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Hahaha I plan on it, but I just got it a month in a half ago so I've sort of been in that being gentle/careful mode because it's new to me. I've gotten on it a few times, but nothing too crazy.

I'll find out about the OFHG and update you. I was reading about that correlation last week, but didn't even think about if it was done on my car until you and the other poster mentioned it.
Ahh man that must suck to have engine RIP that soon after getting it! Thank god you had warranty.

I'm always worried something bad happens. It's just hard to fathom you dump like 10k 18k or even more on a car and the engine would rip like that? No warranty you gotta pay what ~7k for a engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Hahaha I plan on it, but I just got it a month in a half ago so I've sort of been in that being gentle/careful mode because it's new to me. I've gotten on it a few times, but nothing too crazy.

I'll find out about the OFHG and update you. I was reading about that correlation last week, but didn't even think about if it was done on my car until you and the other poster mentioned it.
Ahh man that must suck to have engine RIP that soon after getting it! Thank god you had warranty.
Yeah, it's a bummer, but hopefully I get a brand new motor dropped in. That would definitely make me feel better haha.

Incredibly happy I got the warranty. I would not be a happy camper if I didn't.

Yeah the car cost about 17k. From what I've researched, a new motor would be about 10-15k. Would not be a good time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #27
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Yeah, I know flooring it is fine, I was just being careful because it's new (to me), being irrationally careful I guess haha. Always let the car warm up after a cold start.

Wasn't aware of the second part regarding flooring it at low rpm's, definitely good to know, I appreciate that info. As far as flooring it with a brand new motor, I know you have to take it easy and break the motor in, but what is the threshold? 5,000 miles?

Appreciate the input.
Yes thats a good time. Keep it under 4000 RPM and do mixed driving. (City/HWY). Also change the oil often during this time. Maybe 2-3 times.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #28
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the input.
Yes thats a good time. Keep it under 4000 RPM and do mixed driving. (City/HWY). Also change the oil often during this time. Maybe 2-3 times.
Oh wow, so you're saying I should change the oil 2 or 3 times while working my way up to 5,000 miles? Interesting. I'll definitely make that happen, granted they drop a brand new motor in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #29
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow, so you're saying I should change the oil 2 or 3 times while working my way up to 5,000 miles? Interesting. I'll definitely make that happen, granted they drop a brand new motor in there.
Yes so what happens with new engines is alot more metal in the oil as everything settles. You want that metal flushed not to circulate.

Now you dont have to do that but i buy synthetic oil for 35 dollars canadian here for Castrol 0w-40.. Ill spend 100 bucks on oil on a a new engine to ensure everything is ok. Thats just me tho

All the best sir. Hopefully it works out.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
After discussing with a few master techs at my dealership when I got my new motor, the general rule of thumb is to be EXTRA careful (avoid anything over 50-60% throttle and revs above 4k) when the engine is cold during the first 1200 miles. Once the motor is warmed up, it is okay to go full throttle, but do it only if necessary, also try to keep the revs low (below 4k at first). Every couple hundred miles, increase the revs a bit (4k limit until 400 miles, then 5k till 800, etc). Once the motor is around 1200 miles, do an oil change and you will be good to go. There isn't really a need to do more than one break-in oil change.

To OP, sorry to hear about the rod bearings. That was what happened to my motor as well, which was replaced by a new one. Do you know if the 3rd party warranty will be using a used/new/reman motor yet?
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes so what happens with new engines is alot more metal in the oil as everything settles. You want that metal flushed not to circulate.

Now you dont have to do that but i buy synthetic oil for 35 dollars canadian here for Castrol 0w-40.. Ill spend 100 bucks on oil on a a new engine to ensure everything is ok. Thats just me tho

All the best sir. Hopefully it works out.
Duly noted. I appreciate the advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
After discussing with a few master techs at my dealership when I got my new motor, the general rule of thumb is to be EXTRA careful (avoid anything over 50-60% throttle and revs above 4k) when the engine is cold during the first 1200 miles. Once the motor is warmed up, it is okay to go full throttle, but do it only if necessary, also try to keep the revs low (below 4k at first). Every couple hundred miles, increase the revs a bit (4k limit until 400 miles, then 5k till 800, etc). Once the motor is around 1200 miles, do an oil change and you will be good to go. There isn't really a need to do more than one break-in oil change.

To OP, sorry to hear about the rod bearings. That was what happened to my motor as well, which was replaced by a new one. Do you know if the 3rd party warranty will be using a used/new/reman motor yet?
Not too sure yet. My contact at the dealer said that it will most likely be a new motor, and that he will argue for it to be new, but there is a slight chance they request for it to be used. From what I've gathered in this thread, and other research, it seems more likely than not that it will be new. Keeping my fingers crossed for a brand new motor to be dropped in. I'll update the post once I find out what's going on.

I appreciate everyone's help, and input.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #33
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not too sure. All they could tell me at the dealership is that it's a spun rod bearing and they weren't sure if they would even be able to figure out what the root cause was. The car has been well maintained prior to my purchase, and I've taken great care of it since I've owned it. I've driven it hard a few times, but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle, no redlining or flooring it. I've read a lot of threads on the problem and it seems to be somewhat common, not super common, but common enough that there are multiple threads on the topic. I knew this was a potential issue prior to purchasing the car, and that played a big role in me getting the extended warranty.
Thank you.

Was the Oil filter housing gasket done close to the time of the failure ?
Looks like the OFHG hasn't been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #34
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Not too sure. All they could tell me at the dealership is that it's a spun rod bearing and they weren't sure if they would even be able to figure out what the root cause was. The car has been well maintained prior to my purchase, and I've taken great care of it since I've owned it. I've driven it hard a few times, but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle, no redlining or flooring it. I've read a lot of threads on the problem and it seems to be somewhat common, not super common, but common enough that there are multiple threads on the topic. I knew this was a potential issue prior to purchasing the car, and that played a big role in me getting the extended warranty.
You never brought it to redline or floored it why not

On a sidenote, I am also curious, have you did OFHG recently as Pladi suggests?
OFHG hasn't been replaced recently, or at all.
Appreciate 1
Pladi717.00
      11-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #35
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not the answer alot of us wanted to hear LOL. Thank you for looking into that.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #36
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not the answer alot of us wanted to hear LOL. Thank you for looking into that.
Haha same here. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #37
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha same here. No problem.
Wow well then it's a mystery lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #38
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Your motor break in would be about 500 miles, not 5000. Change the oil after that. Keep low load but you can go to 4-5k rpms. After the oil change and 500 miles drive it like you stole it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #39
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Your motor break in would be about 500 miles, not 5000. Change the oil after that. Keep low load but you can go to 4-5k rpms. After the oil change and 500 miles drive it like you stole it.
What's the source of your recommendation? I would say that a) it contradicts what everyone else on this thread is saying, and b) it contradicts the Owner's Manual, which states the following:
Quote:
Break-in period
Moving parts need breaking-in time to adjust to each other. Please follow the instructions below in order to achieve the optimal service life and economy of operation for your vehicle.
Engine and differential
Always obey all official speed limits.
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a road speed of 100 mph/160 km/h. Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kickdown mode.
After driving 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Engine and vehicle speeds can be gradually increased.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #40
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
What's the source of your recommendation? I would say that a) it contradicts what everyone else on this thread is saying, and b) it contradicts the Owner's Manual, which states the following:
My source is performance engine builders. 500 miles is the normal break-in period in which oil should be changed. If you want to extend that to 1200 miles, I'm sure that's fine for a stock motor. 2-3 oil changes and 5000 miles is just stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #41
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
My source is performance engine builders. 500 miles is the normal break-in period in which oil should be changed. If you want to extend that to 1200 miles, I'm sure that's fine for a stock motor. 2-3 oil changes and 5000 miles is just stupid.
That may be true from your experience, but all recent BMW's (including M) specify 1200. If it was my car, I'd go with the recommendation from the people that built it, not some random guy on the forums.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 2
Pladi717.00
      11-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #42
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

If they can find any used one, they will.

Source: I was a SA for 7+ years
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #43
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
If they can find any used one, they will.

Source: I was a SA for 7+ years
Fingers crossed that they can't find one haha.

How long will they usually look around for before giving up and dropping a new one in?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #44
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Fingers crossed that they can't find one haha.

How long will they usually look around for before giving up and dropping a new one in?
Hopefully if they get a used one it's the same or less amount of miles on it?

If not I would be pissed.
Appreciate 0