E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What is leather and what isn't in the car?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
951
Rep
3,717
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

What is leather and what isn't in the car?

I have a 2013 335is E92 and I know this might sound like a dumb question but I'm really not familiar with leather and I am unsure what is leather and what isn't.

I know the steering wheel is, and I believe the center arm rest. What about the rest?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
ckanderson
Private First Class
65
Rep
193
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nashville

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I have a 2013 335is E92 and I know this might sound like a dumb question but I'm really not familiar with leather and I am unsure what is leather and what isn't.

I know the steering wheel is, and I believe the center arm rest. What about the rest?
The way I understand it, the "seating surfaces" are leather, while the sides and back are not.

e brake boot seems to be, as well as the shifter surround on my automatic car.
Appreciate 1
Roma_335i235.50

      12-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
951
Rep
3,717
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
The way I understand it, the "seating surfaces" are leather, while the sides and back are not.

e brake boot seems to be, as well as the shifter surround on my automatic car.
I've ended up just considering anything that is soft-ish and not hard like vinyl to be leather...

Exceptions are steering wheel and E brake boot, which those I know for sure are leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
claycourter01
Private First Class
claycourter01's Avatar
19
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I've ended up just considering anything that is soft-ish and not hard like vinyl to be leather...

Exceptions are steering wheel and E brake boot, which those I know for sure are leather.
Also look for stitching. Wherever there is stitching there is leather...I believe. So the door panels would also be leather trimmed (though this may be limited to the premium package).
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
shawnsep
Enlisted Member
shawnsep's Avatar
Canada
51
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
what about the center and door armrest? I have a distinct feeling that the center armrest is vinyl although it's stitched. it doesn't take to leather cleaning very well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
951
Rep
3,717
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsep View Post
what about the center and door armrest? I have a distinct feeling that the center armrest is vinyl although it's stitched. it doesn't take to leather cleaning very well.
Oh yeah? I was 100% positive the center arm rest and door arm rests were leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
claycourter01
Private First Class
claycourter01's Avatar
19
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: E92 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh yeah? I was 100% positive the center arm rest and door arm rests were leather.

Yes I believe center console and door arms rests are leather; with a good leather cleaner, e.g., Zaino, they will clean up well.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
334
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

On regular e9x 3ers, only the seats, centre console arm rest and door arm rest/door card are leather (premium package only) e-brake boot and shifter boot are vinyl, don't let the stitching fool you. For non premium pack cars you get zero leather inside the car, it's all plastic/vinyl.

On the m3 on the other hand, you could order extended leather which wraps the entire centre console including the e-brake boot and shifter boot. It also wraps the entire lower dash of the car, glove box and surrounding black plastic parts. Plus the leather in the M cars is far softer and of much better quality than the Dakota leather in the regular 3ers
__________________
CP-E DP's / Remus Race / ETS 7" FMIC / AFE DCI / Cobb V3 / ETS CP / HKS BOV
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
951
Rep
3,717
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
On regular e9x 3ers, only the seats, centre console arm rest and door arm rest/door card are leather (premium package only) e-brake boot and shifter boot are vinyl, don't let the stitching fool you. For non premium pack cars you get zero leather inside the car, it's all plastic/vinyl.

On the m3 on the other hand, you could order extended leather which wraps the entire centre console including the e-brake boot and shifter boot. It also wraps the entire lower dash of the car, glove box and surrounding black plastic parts. Plus the leather in the M cars is far softer and of much better quality than the Dakota leather in the regular 3ers
Wow you sure the e boot and shiftier boot are vinyl? The Genuines shift boot is advertised as dakota leather and the e boot as leather on ECS.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
334
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

They were on my 335 when I owned it and I definitely had the premium package. I noticed because my e-brake boot started cracking one day and I was like shit what a let down, that part is vinyl...
__________________
CP-E DP's / Remus Race / ETS 7" FMIC / AFE DCI / Cobb V3 / ETS CP / HKS BOV
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
Kkritz163
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Leather/Leatherette Seat Care

I have a 2009 328i base model. I've done some light research but I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what material my seats are made out of. It doesn't seem like real leather, more like leatherette.
The seats have experienced some wear and year over the years and I'm looking for the best method to care for/protect whatever material it is. I've done some research on the Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and conditioner, but I am not sure if the product is suitable for use on my seats.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST