E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replace coolant hoses with water pump and thermostat?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #23
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
2,309
Posts

Drives: 2008 328i E90 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northeast / Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercal29 View Post
I did the replacement last weekend. Did the upper and lower hoses as part of the job. Got the OEM kit from ECS Tuning. One tip - the hose that comes off the back of the water pump is a bear to reach. In retrospect I wish I had paid more attention to the angle of the hose on the old pump when I removed it and attached the new hose just like that before installing the pump. Steve
Bumping this thread again.

When you say “upper and lower hoses” , can you identify them by number via the chart posted above?

Getting ready to do my water pump and want to replace any hoses or other items that make sense while doing the pump/t-stat? What other hoses? Worth it to replace the expansion tank too?
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:35% Tint:Blacklines:OEM Front Splitters : OEM style CF truck spoiler : CF mirror cover overlays: 19" VMR Flow-formed v710: Hankook v12 Evo2 tires

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 01-03-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #24
Maestro
Major
548
Rep
1,187
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

I did my pump around 98K miles and only did the pump thermostate which I believe comes with its hose and my cars now has 168K miles and all my hoses look to be fine. I have not see any problems with them and the car is 12yrs old.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
bluewater328
Major
United_States
220
Rep
1,148
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I did my pump around 98K miles and only did the pump thermostate which I believe comes with its hose and my cars now has 168K miles and all my hoses look to be fine. I have not see any problems with them and the car is 12yrs old.
I think the problem with some water pump discussions here is the wide spectrum of vehicles within this body style.

Coupling discussions of short life pumps coupled with the turbo N54 with the detuned NA N52 lead to confusion as 328i pumps seem to survive longer and seemingly not because its a different part.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #26
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
2891
Rep
6,081
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

it's definitely because it's a different part. The N54 pumps use a plastic housing, which can and does crack and leak - so the pump fails sooner than it should (even if it's also working harder than the N52 pump with a higher thermal load).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #27
bluewater328
Major
United_States
220
Rep
1,148
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
it's definitely because it's a different part. The N54 pumps use a plastic housing, which can and does crack and leak - so the pump fails sooner than it should (even if it's also working harder than the N52 pump with a higher thermal load).
If that was truly the leading cause, I wonder why the inlet was never revised to a metal like all the others. Maybe I'm just not understanding the reasoning for the design concept/theory.

Hey, they fixed the large DISA over time :
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #28
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
2891
Rep
6,081
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

no idea. But a number of the turbo guys have reported cracked pump housings on their 2nd or 3rd replacement pumps. You don't hear about many N52 pumps dying at 60k miles or less, but it happens all the time on the turbo engines. It sucks how much shitty plastic BMW uses, but it is what it is..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #29
Maestro
Major
548
Rep
1,187
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I think the problem with some water pump discussions here is the wide spectrum of vehicles within this body style.

Coupling discussions of short life pumps coupled with the turbo N54 with the detuned NA N52 lead to confusion as 328i pumps seem to survive longer and seemingly not because its a different part.

I would agree, since I am 100% not sure if the 335I and non turbo modals use the same parts, the op in this case is 335i as is mine. When I did my research on this I thought all the E90 uses the same pump.

When mine failed I decide to take it apart to see what failed, the motor stator is incapsulated in plastic since BWM's design required due to using the coolant to also cool the electric motor of the pump. Well the plastic had fine cracks in and water got inside the stator and caused everything to swell up and lock up the motor.

My understand this is the same design across all the pumps and from my point of view it is power design of using coolant water to cool an electric motor and everything was mostly made of plastic. Based on this, i do not believe turbo cars coolant is any hotter than no Turbo since the pump is on the inlet of the engine after it been cooled down. Maybe a turbo cars are 10 to 20 degrees hotter but this does not explain the a difference in failure rates. I just think BMW had a large batch of bad pumps and most likely have fix it since the version on my pump was a couple of rev up so they made changes over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #30
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
2891
Rep
6,081
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

I'm 100% sure they are not the same parts, which I just posted. the non-turbo pumps use an aluminum housing. they are also rated for less flow, something like 20% less. So the turbo version is working harder while also being made out of plastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #31
austin.tillison
Private
6
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
about to do my water pump this weekend and I'm trying to figure out what hoses I need to replace.
did you guys replace this hose while you were in there?
its called the coolant pipe and runs from the pump all the way under the radiator and then up towards the firewall on the intake side of the motor

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...90-17127548226

it's like $140 so I'm a little indecisive lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5317
Rep
13,203
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.tillison View Post
about to do my water pump this weekend and I'm trying to figure out what hoses I need to replace.
did you guys replace this hose while you were in there?
its called the coolant pipe and runs from the pump all the way under the radiator and then up towards the firewall on the intake side of the motor

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...90-17127548226

it's like $140 so I'm a little indecisive lol
Here's my DIY for a 325i. Has all the P/N and diagrams. But I have to say, I did all 9 hoses at 236,000 mile and 8 years old and none of them needed replacement. If you are considering, the only two I'd even think of are the u-shaped hose between the t-stat and WP and the return hose from the top radiator hose over to the coolant reservoir. If you do the hose from the head to the T-stat, just get the aluminum hose bib part on e-bay and keep the hose and just change out the bib.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936250
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #33
austin.tillison
Private
6
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Here's my DIY for a 325i. Has all the P/N and diagrams. But I have to say, I did all 9 hoses at 236,000 mile and 8 years old and none of them needed replacement. If you are considering, the only two I'd even think of are the u-shaped hose between the t-stat and WP and the return hose from the top radiator hose over to the coolant reservoir. If you do the hose from the head to the T-stat, just get the aluminum hose bib part on e-bay and keep the hose and just change out the bib.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936250
thank you so much!!!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST