E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Roof Racks

04-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
macheff03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

E90 Roof Racks

I’ve had my e90 for a while now and have been on and off about adding the bmw roof racks to it.

I like the functionality and look of them... at least I think so, just can’t decide.

Any past experience? Good? Bad?

Where to find the genuine BMW racks?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
dakotap80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

I purchased my OEM cross bars from eBay or Amazon three years ago, I only have them on in the winter time but they've held up great. I think it was a bit under $200 for the pair. Not too noisy but your mileage will drop 1-2 MPG on the highway for sure.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Functionality and looks are both great.

BUT

The top of the car is harder to wash (I wash my car really often) and the extra wind noise gets on my nerves so i actually keep my OEM racks off unless i need them for some reason.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

I just recently bought the OEM racks and so far I am happy with them. They bolt right in to the mounts so they feel solid but I'll agree that they do add a fair amount of wind noise. My only complaints would be that they don't lock and that they seem to sit rather high compared to other options.

I'll also add, this is my first experience with a roof rack/bars, so I don't have a good sample size.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Just bought my first pair of roof racks. BMW genuine. $60 ebay used "one half season". I'll report back my experience.

Normally I'd be just as happy (or happier) with aftermarket brand, but the BMW ones are so freaking affordable.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Thule whisper bars . There wider than the stock ones if you
need that.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
macheff03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotap80 View Post
I purchased my OEM cross bars from eBay or Amazon three years ago, I only have them on in the winter time but they've held up great. I think it was a bit under $200 for the pair. Not too noisy but your mileage will drop 1-2 MPG on the highway for sure.
I’d be using them in the summertime most often, which is the majority of the year here in SC- and mpg is about the least of my worries so sounds like it’s not a bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Functionality and looks are both great.

BUT

The top of the car is harder to wash (I wash my car really often) and the extra wind noise gets on my nerves so i actually keep my OEM racks off unless i need them for some reason.

Hope this helps!
It certainly does help! Based on what I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem too hard to take the racks off (before a wash in my case) is it?

I almost always drive with my sunroof open, how bad would the noise be considering it open. I would expect it to be worse and that’s fine with me anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Just bought my first pair of roof racks. BMW genuine. $60 ebay used "one half season". I'll report back my experience.

Normally I'd be just as happy (or happier) with aftermarket brand, but the BMW ones are so freaking affordable.
$60! That is cheap! Would love to hear about your experience and hoping I’ll stumble across a deal like that too!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

No, it is not too hard to take them off, but ive found that there is a high risk of accidentally scratching or denting the roof when uninstalling and reinstalling them often.

Sunroof open the wind noise is very audible. Its somewhat subjective so its hard to communicate exactly how loud it actually is. But you'll hear a low rumbling wind turbulence sound (like when youre in your house and there are strong winds outside) and also some high pitched whistling sounds as the wind rushes by. The high pitched noises arent really noticeable with the sunroof closed though.

I wonder if a roof rack wind deflector on the front would be any help? I've never tried one.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #9
macheff03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
No, it is not too hard to take them off, but ive found that there is a high risk of accidentally scratching or denting the roof when uninstalling and reinstalling them often.

Sunroof open the wind noise is very audible. Its somewhat subjective so its hard to communicate exactly how loud it actually is. But you'll hear a low rumbling wind turbulence sound (like when youre in your house and there are strong winds outside) and also some high pitched whistling sounds as the wind rushes by. The high pitched noises arent really noticeable with the sunroof closed though.

I wonder if a roof rack wind deflector on the front would be any help? I've never tried one.
Good observation on the damaging/denting roof- never thought about that

I know exactly the wind sound you’re talking about
I drive over a bridge at least twice in one day and over water/ on the beach in winds too so it sounds like, at least that I’m not too worried about the wind noise, not to mention since they seem to not be too expensive, i wouldn’t be in it too much to try it and I’d just sell them otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macheff03 View Post
$60! That is cheap! Would love to hear about your experience and hoping I’ll stumble across a deal like that too!
The guy never shipped them because, he said, he never say the notification from ebay that I had bought and paid for them. He refunded.
Bought them for a little more on another ebay auction, but this time new in box. Good thing, too. There's one-time use pads that you have to stick into the roof rack slots. I doubt many racks on the used market have had those removed and repackaged for the next owner. The rubber inserts that go on top are also cut-to-length, so if the previous owner had a smaller car, that would be a little disappointing. I typically drive with the racks removed when not needed, for noise and highway efficiency gains.
Appreciate 0