E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > no crank/no start

05-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
contie92
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 (2) e90 328.s1000rr

no crank/no start

So i recently picked up a 2010 bmw 328i x drive with 94k . It has a no crank no start randomly seems to happen more when its cold out than when its warm. First thing i did like most, I thought it was the starter so I replaced it and it worked for the rest of the day and bam had the same issue not long after.

So far i have swapped out the access module relay with one that i know works from my other car and it sis not start still. I have also swapped out the (DME) relay with the one from my other car and it started right up but it also started right up with the other one before is swapped it but when i put the original one back in and started the car it turned on and died right after starting it but than started up on the restart so i plan on replacing that anyway cause at this point i think that relay is going bad. Tomorrow i plan to swap that and check that and bypass the (IBS) sensor to try and rule that out as well, if its not the (DME) relay. I also plan to check the power wire coming to the front of the car that i herd can fall apart. Thats what i have on my list so far for diagnosing the issue. Reason i am writing this is to see if anyone els has had this problem and if it was something other than what i have mentioned so i can add it to my list for diag on the issue. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
HomerSumpson
Rep
Drives: BMW 325XI

Having some what similar problem. Have 06 325xi and the serpentine belt shredded while driving. I pulled over immediately and got towed. The car started fine even with the shredded belt (The tow truck driver started it for some reason not me) but after cleaning out the pulleys, taking off the destroyed belt, and then replacing the old belt, the car seems to not want to turn over. Left the battery charging for 16 hours and it still didnt start. The car is currently not in my possession but im having the grounding checked because I saw that sometimes that can cause it to not wanna turn over. All the lights work also. Anyone have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Chris1337
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Probe the starter if no current check the harness
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
HomerSumpson
Rep
Drives: BMW 325XI

This might be a bit late but I got it fixed. Tuns of belt material around timing pulley and also the timing skipped. Got it fixed but the cars in limp mode now.
Appreciate 0