E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > LSD & Trip to Birds UK / Hartge

10-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #23
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
have i missed something with the butter

James buddy you have PM!

Carlos
      10-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Cambridge one? I read about it but I think my other half has a list of jobs as long as you can imagine ... doubt she would issue a pass (just got back from holiday and there are heaps of things she thinks need doing). I'll try to get along to one of them at some point though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Cambridge one? I read about it but I think my other half has a list of jobs as long as you can imagine ... doubt she would issue a pass (just got back from holiday and there are heaps of things she thinks need doing). I'll try to get along to one of them at some point though.
come along, its only a few hours out of your day, is she is a good miswah she will let you, just put up with the rants of ''no sex tonight'' shit and come have a good time...

12pm tomorrow cambridge, Ill pm ya the addrss
      10-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #26
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
have i missed something with the butter

Not sure how to answer that. Depends which side of the fence you sit on... or bend over, if you get my drift.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Not sure how to answer that. Depends which side of the fence you sit on... or bend over, if you get my drift.
No no nooooooooooooooooo, dont like any of that!!!! what about using it with a bird?? make a good substitue for KY?
      10-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Come on Dave that sounds like a weak excuse to me !

SJ
      10-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
Hmmm... interesting. After the remap my DSC light flickers when accelerating at almost any speed (certainly up to 65mph officer), even in the dry. So an LSD might be really useful, but I'm wondering if it could handle the torque from the big diesel?

Also, I remember a post (think it was from Peppernick) which suggested that the 335d would not benefit from an LSD ... I'm not sure what his logic was though, something about lower revs than 335i, but surely if the rear wheels are spinning then an LSD would help?

The price seems quite steep - though if I hadn't just forked out an indecent sum for a bl--dy conservatory, I might be more interested... also new tyres coming up very soon. :-(

I would think the 335d would benefit more, as the huge slug of torque when it comes in will just light up the rear wheels, especially in first and second gears. The LSD can definitely handle the torque, no problem. Cost does seem steep, but then when you actually experience what it does and how much better it makes the driving experience, I think it's worth every single penny and then some.

Last edited by E92Fan; 10-29-2007 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 03:19 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I would think the 335d would benefit more, as the huge slug of torque when it comes in will just light up the rear wheels, especially in first and second gears. The LSD can definitely handle the torque, no problem. Cost does seem steep, but then when you actually experience what it does and how much better it makes the driving experience, I think it's worth every single penny and then some.
i can believe it mate, the torque steer on a 230BHP fwd RS turbo was decreased and became far more manageable when and LSD was fitted
      10-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #31
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

I talked in depth with Kevin before i bought my car as i was looking at the full monty of upgrade.

He is a very knowledgeable chap. However to say that birds have cracked the encryption code is a bit misleading. It is Hartge in Germany that have sorted the map out and Birds just buy in the map.
It is my understanding that BMW have given the map codes to ALPINA and Hartge, as these are the only two comapnies that can remapp the engine without the need for a Motronic box ie procede etc.

The LSD will manage the torque delivery and lessson the need for the electronics to intervine, E92Fans car will be very fast indeed. Well done for taking the plunge.
      10-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #32
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I like Nick was concerned over the LSD's ability to work with the 'd'.

The lazier revving nature may not suit it, and i wonder wether the torque would rip it to bits.

Its an ATB unit. http://http://www.quaife.co.uk/What-is-a-Quaife-ATB-differential

Even though Quaife g/tee them for life, i have not seen one tested in a derv...i await the results with interest.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #33
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

That's right. A conventional LSD needs a revvy engine for it to work best. The powerband 'sweet spot' of the diesel ends well before 4500rpm, you don't want to spend much time driving above that.

I spoke to a few Mercedes AMG techs at Nurburgring when the race team was there, asking them why AMG didn't put LSDs in their cars other than the SL65 (before the Black Series came out). Their answers are much predicted. Not enough engine revs. The SL65 uses an elctronically controlled rear diff where it's slip is controlled by the computer. A more suitable option for lower revving engines but a very expensive system.