E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E Series NBT Evo Retrofit Development Thread

02-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #155
DenoirN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
What does your HU look like on the back? There isn't an external FM/AM tuner for these units...
Does the OABR connection to the ATM supply radio maybe? Mine was pulled from a 2017 x3 as a point of reference. My atm and evo both came from the same car (thanks Nico for the heads up).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #156
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Sometimes the guys recovering them don’t disconnect all the connections and they break them yanking them out.

It’s better whem they just cut all of then connectors when they remove the units.
Appreciate 1
Nickco431457.50
      02-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #157
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Sometimes the guys recovering them don’t disconnect all the connections and they break them yanking them out.

It’s better whem they just cut all of then connectors when they remove the units.
Not only do they rip the plastic off they rip the entire plug off.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #158
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoirN54 View Post
Does the OABR connection to the ATM supply radio maybe? Mine was pulled from a 2017 x3 as a point of reference. My atm and evo both came from the same car (thanks Nico for the heads up).
That unit is DOA. They ripped the entire god damn plug off. Get your money back and then try to repair it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #159
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Unfortunately you're going to need to solder on new antenna connections for the AM/FM, FM2, and SDARS (satellite/sirius) antennas if you want to use those.

I suggest reaching out to your dismantler and asking for a partial refund due to the damage done to your radio.

The rest will likely work okay out of the box though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #160
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately you're going to need to solder on new antenna connections for the AM/FM, FM2, and SDARS (satellite/sirius) antennas if you want to use those.

I suggest reaching out to your dismantler and asking for a partial refund due to the damage done to your radio.

The rest will likely work okay out of the box though.
Hell no. They will give you all of your money back and let you keep the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #161
DenoirN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Good fuck repairing this is going to be annoying as shit. First having to procure the connectors for the unit, THEN trying to solder the shit on with such a minuscule area to work in. I'm livid. I was waiting for this first because they sent me out the SCREEN and not the damn radio when I first order it. Second time they ship it out only to show the person at their junkyard just ripped the connections off from the headunit.

What Nick said, I'm going to get ALL my money back from this ordeal.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #162
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoirN54 View Post
Good fuck repairing this is going to be annoying as shit. First having to procure the connectors for the unit, THEN trying to solder the shit on with such a minuscule area to work in. I'm livid. I was waiting for this first because they sent me out the SCREEN and not the damn radio when I first order it. Second time they ship it out only to show the person at their junkyard just ripped the connections off from the headunit.

What Nick said, I'm going to get ALL my money back from this ordeal.
Welcome to my world. I deal with this shit everyday with the CICs. The people who run junkyards have an IQ of 80. If I ran a junkyard I would be able to afford a new G20 330i.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #163
YoMuS
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi everyone,

Could you give a little about the wiring required? How many wires go to the front side, the armrest or the trunk?

- Which are unplug from CIC/CCC and plug directly to EVO HU?
- CID cable from HU to Display
- Mic cable from HU to rearview mirror
- Wifi cable from HU to front space?
- Bluetooth cable from HU to front space?
- GPS cable from HU to front space?
- iDrive cable from HU to knob
- USB cable from HU to armrest?
- The amp cable just plugs in the new amp if replaced to F30's?
- What about the ATM unit?
- Any cable to the shark fin antennae?

I'd like to picture the wiring diagram to know how difficult the installation is.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #164
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
For my installation:
- CID cable is new
- Mic cable that used to run from rearview mirror to TCB in trunk will be re-pinned to plug into the ATM, still in the trunk, and new wire will be run from ATM to HU.
- Wifi cable + antenna is new (i used a second e9x bluetooth antenna as my wifi antenna)
- bluetooth cable is new, plugs into existing bluetooth antenna near the foot pedals
- gps cable originally plugged into TCB in the trunk is now plugged into ATM in the trunk. direct plug, no changes
- idrive cable from hu to knob is new because my car didn't have a knob at all. a CIC knob can be left alone with the old wire in place
- armrest usb cable used to go to the trunk. need a new usb cable from hu to armrest
- glovebox usb cable is plug and play
- amp cable - if you have HiFi or Stereo sound, no changes. if you have L7 or individual audio, need to swap out the amplifier for an F series amp, which requires a change to the addon wire next to the most connector. the 20-pin speaker connector at the amp is not changed at all
- sirius/satellite antenna needs to be extended from the trunk to the head unit
- pins need to be moved from the TCB power harness to two small 7 or 8 pin connectors for the ATM.
- nothing goes directly to the sharkfin
- FM antenna you might want to run a second cable and replace / modify the antenna amplifier, but it is annoying and probably not worth it. FM worked for me when i just plugged it in
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #165
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
all that, plus a new OABR interconnect cable from the ATM to the head unit for BroadR-Reach ethernet and KCAN2

rear view video camera is more work, Nick and I haven't gotten there yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #166
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
For my installation:
- CID cable is new
- Mic cable that used to run from rearview mirror to TCB in trunk will be re-pinned to plug into the ATM, still in the trunk, and new wire will be run from ATM to HU.
- Wifi cable + antenna is new (i used a second e9x bluetooth antenna as my wifi antenna)
- bluetooth cable is new, plugs into existing bluetooth antenna near the foot pedals
- gps cable originally plugged into TCB in the trunk is now plugged into ATM in the trunk. direct plug, no changes
- idrive cable from hu to knob is new because my car didn't have a knob at all. a CIC knob can be left alone with the old wire in place
- armrest usb cable used to go to the trunk. need a new usb cable from hu to armrest
- glovebox usb cable is plug and play
- amp cable - if you have HiFi or Stereo sound, no changes. if you have L7 or individual audio, need to swap out the amplifier for an F series amp, which requires a change to the addon wire next to the most connector. the 20-pin speaker connector at the amp is not changed at all
- sirius/satellite antenna needs to be extended from the trunk to the head unit
- pins need to be moved from the TCB power harness to two small 7 or 8 pin connectors for the ATM.
- nothing goes directly to the sharkfin
- FM antenna you might want to run a second cable and replace / modify the antenna amplifier, but it is annoying and probably not worth it. FM worked for me when i just plugged it in
You can not retrofit a F30 radio amp if you have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #167
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
* can't retrofit an f30 antenna amp, if you have CA.

I'm going to do it anyways, but it will be very messy, and it is way way down the priority list.
I'll basically be cutting the e9x antenna amplifier in half.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #168
YoMuS
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks a lot. I took this diagram of NBT EVO rear connections. I thought it'd be a good idea to gather the info about wiring, sort it, and put it in the original post for reference, so the hardware installation is almost straightforward.

(1) (2): DAB aerial connectors. Not every NBT Evo has got them, but if it does, both wires go to ATM? Need to install DAB antennas in the trunk?

(3) (4): FM2 and FM1/AM aerial connectors. Both wires go to ATM? Might just be one cable and installing the second one is probably not worth it.

(5): GPS aerial. Haven't seen this one in many headunits. Original cable plugged to TCB now goes to ATM.

(6): Main connector. Plugged directly?

(7): OABR connector: Wire from here to ATM for Enet-KCAN2

(8): Wifi connector: Wire from here to antenna's desired installation place (what's the best one?)

(9): Bluetooth connector: Plug existing bluetooth antenna to this connector.

(10): USB2 connector (glovebox?): Wire from here to glovebox.

(11): USB1 connector (armrest?): Now this cable goes from here to armrest. Wire to trunk no longer needed.

(12): APIX connector. I believe this goes to instrument cluster, but is it needed for E90s? Has any purpose or use?

(13): CID connector. New wire from here to CID connector. Voltage regulator needed.

Additional wires.

- Microphone: Used to run from rearview mirror to TCB in trunk. Will be re-pinned to plug into the ATM, still in the trunk, and new wire will be run from ATM to HU (where exactly in the HU?)

- Controller Knob: Cable from it to HU (which connector exactly?)

- Amp Cable: If you have HiFi or Stereo sound, no changes. if you have L7 or individual audio, need to swap out the amplifier for an F series amp, which requires a change to the addon wire next to the most connector. the 20-pin speaker connector at the amp is not changed at all

- Other: Pins need to be moved from the TCB power harness to two small 7 or 8 pin connectors for the ATM.

There are some details I can't really tell, so any corrections to my post would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

P.S: 99% credit goes to vilord

Last edited by YoMuS; 02-08-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #169
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
For european Evos, yeah you'll have DAB1/2 antenna connectors. European cars that came factory with DAB prewiring or a DAB tuner should already have the antennas, and an extension will need to be made from the trunk where the DAB tuner was to the head unit.
For USA Evos, it will say SDARS instead of DAB. Same applies to running an extension from the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #170
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
For european Evos, yeah you'll have DAB1/2 antenna connectors. European cars that came factory with DAB prewiring or a DAB tuner should already have the antennas, and an extension will need to be made from the trunk where the DAB tuner was to the head unit.
For USA Evos, it will say SDARS instead of DAB. Same applies to running an extension from the trunk.
My US evo says DAB.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #171
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I messed up.

nearest pnc bank location to me
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #172
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Time for interior trim wrap.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #173
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
Time for interior trim wrap.
Do they make wrap that matches the aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #174
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Actually that's a good point. That section of the car is far enough from the other aluminum panels that you could get away with using a different wrap that doesn't 100% match and have it still look good. Or you could go carbon fiber, piano black, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #175
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I got my evo back yesterday and I have not had a black screen issue or volume spike. I need to buy the atm connectors and wire in my crash sensors for the sos light.

I bought a full F36 HK speaker set up that I can going to put in. Hopefully I can sell my E90 HK speakers and get some of the money back. I need to save up to buy a F15 ICAM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #176
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
I was getting the weird echo with phone calls, even after swapping to an F series amplifier.
I didn't change the coding in the Evo, instead I just flashed my amp to the latest software revision. The EQing immediately sounded better, and now no echo
Appreciate 0