E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 STOLEN from BHX NCP Long Stay 1 Airport Carpark

06-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #45
Fx1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320D E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Not that you really want the car back after something like this has happened, but some basic facts about it beyond that it’s a '2008 M3 coupe' might help, specifically,...

Colour – Exterior and interior
VIN and Reg number
Is it an 08 or 58?… (58 meaning it has the newer SatNav etc)
Manual or DCT?
Wheels (are they the 18's or 19's or after market?)
Interior leather extended?
Sun protection glass?
Carbon roof?
Audio,... eg: Logic7, Individual, after market?
Any distinctive mods,...eg: black grills

etc etc.
Edit.

Apologies. i thought it had been recovered! but that was the other M3 stolen on the other Forum. i thought they was the same car!

Last edited by Fx1; 06-20-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #46
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Well right now he doesn't have a car to be 'cloned'... granted the VIN / Reg might be too much detail, but I stand by the rest of my list. They just might help an online community that probably looks at other BMW's on the road more keenly than most.
      06-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #47
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Well right now he doesn't have a car to be 'cloned'... granted the VIN / Reg might be too much detail, but I stand by the rest of my list. They just might help an online community that probably looks at other BMW's on the road more keenly than most.
+1
The car has already gone!! Prob already cloned or stripped - at least if it gets seen with another set of plates on someone may spot it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #48
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx1 View Post
Yeh post all that info on a public forum so some guy can clone your car.

Genius
There would not be much point cloning a car using details from an already stolen car.

Defeats the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #49
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx1 View Post
EDIT
EDIT: Edited as the OP has also amended their post

Last edited by MEGA; 06-21-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #50
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your car being recently stolen from our car park on xx/xx/xx.

Unfortunately, as our car park is attended only in such a way as to ensure we receive the maximum amount of money possible, we have no interest in assisting you with pursuing the thieves, nor can we offer any CCTV footage, as that might prove that we have in any minute way been negligent.

Please accept this 86 page copy of our Terms and Conditions which explains why we are allowed to do this and accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks

Yours Sincerely

(Anonymous Signature)

Chief Operational Director of Car Parking Facilities and Associated Roadways

That "Director" needs to be shot... and shove that copy of the terms n conditions up his arse...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #51
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

FWIW I've posted this on EvoTechnik for you as well, there are quite a few Brum members. You never know. Very long long shot, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundthebend View Post
Just had my 08, M3 coupe stolen from NCP BHX Long Stay 1 on 04/06/2011. Only CCTV from NCP, shows grey audi with stolen VW plates and my M3 tailgating out and headed towards Coventry.

Didn't prebook, got all keys, no duplicate requests, vehicle was targeted in THIS carpark and gone less than 48 hours after parking -notified from home 2nd day of hols.

No tracker, but that wouldn't have prevent them from nicking it. Astonished by the lax of security, this isn't Asda carpark, but inside the perimeters of one of the main airports in the UK. I assumed there would be CCTV coverage everywhere, especially in the light of heightened awareness since Bin Laden's killing. Also massive police station adjacent to this carpark.

This car park has Park Mark Safety Achievement, high, fenced enclosure, CCTV and regular patrols. All these security features are ineffective when the barrier gate allowed thieves to tailgate and get a stolen vehicle out. The ANPR at NCP checks the registration and will flag up non-payment at the exit barrier, therefore as the police officer explained, the cctv concentrates on the location of the registration plates and they have no image of the occupants.

Response from NCP, sorry for the 'inconvenience' read our T&C - this is a public place, we don't refer to our carpark as 'secure' and you leave you car at your own risk.

This car park hold 5,100 vehicles, first time I've parked here. If your vehicle is still there upon your return it's likely the thieves don't actually want your vehicle rather than the security at this car park.
      06-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #52
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
What a feckin nightmare!

I can remember reading about DocMatt's (EvoT) M5 going walkabout from the same carpark, its amazing it's still so easy to have these cars away.

Good luck with sorting it out OP.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #53
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

I am astonied by the response from the NCP car park - they should be the ones subject to the watchdog investigation !

I think a sturn letter to BMW UK demanding a response is also required. Its documented on here and other forums of the problem and potential fix; and BMW havent thought about recifying this themselves? It does tarnish the brand and current and potential customers are at stake. Maybe even a suggestion that you would be willing to notify english and american press would be 'food for thought' ?

Wish you the best of luck for the safe return of your M3 and a smooth 'journey' with your insurer
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #54
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Hello mate,

if there are any people out there who have doubts about this story i can confirm that the same happened to me in my new shape sprinter. the thieves basically bring there own key,ecu and another part break into the van swap the things around and off they go. the bastards got caught which is how i found out the method but the worrying part was when i met the police who caught the guy they noticed my car and said to be careful as the same method is used for bmw's. it is shocking to think car/van manufacturers have allowed this to happen. the easiest solution would be to have a code deep inside the engine which the ecu/key also have to match up to but i guess they would lose out on selling more cars/parts !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #55
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Let me preface my post by saying I sincerely hope I’m wrong but this thread leaves me feeling confused, so I’m going to bite…

When I first read this thread something about it didn’t sit quite right with me. The lack of answers to perfectly straightforward questions (What colour is the car? Do (hope) you have GAP insurance etc) made me feel suspicious so I decided to do a little googling...

I googled for “BHX NCP Long Stay 1 stolen M3” and found the same story has been posted on several forums over the past week with either less or more and occasionally contradictory information in each. In all cases, the poster has registered to use the forum on that day, using a completely different user name each time, they make their first post and only reply on that thread for a day or two, never to return. Now there is nothing wrong with posting your story on multiple forums or indeed using completely different user names, but consistently they have failed to answer the commonly asked question in this scenario:- ‘Do you have GAP insurance?'

I’ve listed below links to the other posts, with pertinent sentences highlighted. But these also raise questions, specifically…
  • What year is the M3 - 2007 or 2008?
  • What colour is the M3? A couple of the forum posts mention it as Charcoal Grey. I wait to be corrected but I don’t think Charcoal Grey has ever been an M3 e9x colour, either standard or individual.
  • Why would somebody who bought a brand new M3 not be aware they might need a tracker? Surely the dealer would have tried to sell them one and on every insurance renewal the question would have arisen.

Posted by ‘robbinscum’ on 12th June on Bimmerforums…

“M3, 2007 model”

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ost732409.html

Posted by ‘whatusay’ on 13th June on M3Cutters…

2008, V8, charcoal grey, less than 10k on the clock, heated seats, sat nav, xenon lights, bought from new and in mint condition.”

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35146

Posted by ‘security123’ on 16th June on ScoobyNet…

“I was not aware that I needed a tracker and that's my fault due to my ignorance.”

http://scoobynet.com/non-scooby-rela...t-carpark.html

Posted by ‘welshlass123’ on 18th June on zRoadster…

“Purchased new, 2008, coupe, Charcoal grey, mint condition less than 10k on clock.”

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...1e5143e652fc18

Then we have this thread on 19th June, created by ‘roundthebend’, and finally…

Posted by ‘goldenvirginia’ on 20th June on Audi-Sport…

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rants-r...t-carpark.html
      06-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #56
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You reckon it's someone to do with a rival car park?
      06-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #57
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Let me preface my post by saying I sincerely hope I’m wrong but this thread leaves me feeling confused, so I’m going to bite…

When I first read this thread something about it didn’t sit quite right with me. The lack of answers to perfectly straightforward questions (What colour is the car? Do (hope) you have GAP insurance etc) made me feel suspicious so I decided to do a little googling...

I googled for “BHX NCP Long Stay 1 stolen M3” and found the same story has been posted on several forums over the past week with either less or more and occasionally contradictory information in each. In all cases, the poster has registered to use the forum on that day, using a completely different user name each time, they make their first post and only reply on that thread for a day or two, never to return. Now there is nothing wrong with posting your story on multiple forums or indeed using completely different user names, but consistently they have failed to answer the commonly asked question in this scenario:- ‘Do you have GAP insurance?'

I’ve listed below links to the other posts, with pertinent sentences highlighted. But these also raise questions, specifically…
  • What year is the M3 - 2007 or 2008?
  • What colour is the M3? A couple of the forum posts mention it as Charcoal Grey. I wait to be corrected but I don’t think Charcoal Grey has ever been an M3 e9x colour, either standard or individual.
  • Why would somebody who bought a brand new M3 not be aware they might need a tracker? Surely the dealer would have tried to sell them one and on every insurance renewal the question would have arisen.

Posted by ‘robbinscum’ on 12th June on Bimmerforums…

“M3, 2007 model”

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ost732409.html

Posted by ‘whatusay’ on 13th June on M3Cutters…

2008, V8, charcoal grey, less than 10k on the clock, heated seats, sat nav, xenon lights, bought from new and in mint condition.”

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35146

Posted by ‘security123’ on 16th June on ScoobyNet…

“I was not aware that I needed a tracker and that's my fault due to my ignorance.”

http://scoobynet.com/non-scooby-rela...t-carpark.html

Posted by ‘welshlass123’ on 18th June on zRoadster…

“Purchased new, 2008, coupe, Charcoal grey, mint condition less than 10k on clock.”

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...1e5143e652fc18

Then we have this thread on 19th June, created by ‘roundthebend’, and finally…

Posted by ‘goldenvirginia’ on 20th June on Audi-Sport…

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rants-r...t-carpark.html
Good post, always nice to challenge whats placed in front of one. I'm not quite ready to 'ditch' the OP yet, but I agree, you've dug up some relevant questions.

Paying Devils Advocate.... I bought a 135i, Porsche and 335D all from main dealers at £30k ish and was NEVER offerred a Tracker. I'm well aware of the 'need' for a Tracker and I fit them to cars I want to protect, but it's not a guaranteed sign of dodginess.

Charcoal Grey, as far as I know, is NOT a proper E9X colour, but some people wouldn't know it from one of the legitimate greys. That's just a sympton of the kind of people who own cars nowadays - 30, 40, 50k spent on something they thought 'looked nice' is becoming more common.

What we can't answer is all the names... A common link seems to be Welsh-ness (Welshlass) and Wales as the location but there isn't much more.

I would suggest different people posting on the OPS behalf, but as they are all new accounts, that can't be right....

OP - you need to do some explaining!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #58
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

so sorry mate!! Awful
      06-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #59
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Detective Dar2008 there!

I did think it was odd that he did not even supply the registration plate and never once seemed concerned about recovery of his car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #60
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hilarious !!!
      06-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #61
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Excellent detective work! It did smell a bit...

OP seems keen for everyone to spread the word about how crap NCP is. Rival car park? Disgruntled Customer?

Why post the same M3 story as well? Why not post a "stolen" Scooby on the Scooby site & Audi on the Audi site etc...

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #62
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep

Oooh, very interesting turn of events this.

He did reply saying thanks to me and that he'd read Doc Matt's post. The fact he took the time to go to another forum, search it, find another thread from years ago and feed back would pose some legitimacy. Then again if this is someone trying to deflame NCP then that would be expected.

HOWEVER. Frankly, everything being said about NCP is true - and especially with this car park. So legitimate or not, if it leads somewhere then excellent.
      06-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #63
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

curiouser and curiouser...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #64
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Continuing on from NCP:

I've parked in the Manchester Chinatown carpark before and used the automated macine to pay.

It charged me £0.35 or £0.45 (one of these; can't remember) surcharge for some unknown reason. Possibly a credit card surcharge but:
- there was no option to accept this charge or pay by another method; the card was debited as soon as it was inserted with the parking charge plus surcharge without PIN promoting or any user input
- there was no indication anywhere in the schedule of rates sign on entry, or elsewhere in the carpark or on the payment machine of this surcharge.

35p is a trivial amount but tacking it on without advising beforehand is illegal. It illustrates a general poor level of service that this could happen. I don't give a f$£% about 35p but I don't like surprise charges which I'm not informed about beforehand.

I complained, in writing, to NCP pointing out that this was an illegal surcharge as it is not advised in advance and the user is not given an option to accept or decline it and inviting them to refund the charge. I still have not had a reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #65
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Hmmmm - glad I read the whole thread before posting! There remains the question 'why'? I can't see that this will have any impact on the trade for that car park and if so what is the Welsh connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #66
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Missed one from my earlier list,...

Posted by 'iamgutted' on 12th June on M3Forum,...

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost....&postcount=144

...this time "it was 2008 model, v8 engine, dark charcoal grey, mint condition with less than 10k miles”

I don't know 'why' someone would want to make this sort of thing up, so perhaps it is genuine and I'm doing the guy a disservice,... do think he (or she based on the Welshlass123 user name) should respond, but am not holding my breath,... he's probably on the Skoda forum as we speak