E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Lost Bluetooth and Aux on CIC/Combox after Android install.

02-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Garage List
Lost Bluetooth and Aux on CIC/Combox after Android install.

Hello all,

I figured I would start a new thread instead of clogging up the other threat on the Avin units.

I installed the 8.8" Avin CIC Snapdragon unit yesterday. As of today I have lost all bluetooth and aux capabilities on the CIC. The USB and 3.5mm jack in the center console will not work. I can still play CDs and the radio tuner is working fine. I know the bluetooth is tied to the Combox and I am assuming the aux input is as well.. Does anyone know which cable on the back of the CIC unit corresponds to the Combox? None of them seem to be damaged and the harness is installed properly. Would an anti-theft protection trigger this?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Combox info comes over the Most Bus there is no specific cable
on the back of the pro radio or the Nav/idrive for this.
The aux and usb generally come from the combox to if you
have one. The physical lines come from the combox.
There may be a aux line on the back of your radio or idrive
but when the combox is installed and active the active aux
is the one on the combox not the back of the radio.

It's my understanding that all the avins use the Aux line.
In your case the active aux line comes from the combox .
Try plugging into the center console aux if you haven't rewired it.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-13-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have attempted to plug in to the center console - both the 3.5 mm and USB to lightning cable for my iphone with no success. The USB in the center console is no longer receiving power. Also the bluetooth is grayed out in the CIC options - I was initially getting a please wait screen when going in to telephone or bluetooth audio menus. When I pressed option I would get to the bluetooth activation screen with the bluetooth box unchecked. If I tried to check the box nothing happened. I hard reset the CIC unit and now the bluetooth menus are grayed out completely.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did whatever adapter they put on the back of the Idrive
include a most connection.
Is there still power to the combox.

Maybe you should back out of the install till you find out what
is up with the combox.
Appreciate 1
safal0.00
      02-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In the harness you move the MOST connector from the original CIC connector over to the new connector that plugs in to the back of the CIC, which I did. I can see the red light coming on from the MOST plug.

After looking at some more pictures of the back of CIC units it appears the little plastic tubes (?) on the CIC unit where the MOST connector goes are pushed in. I am wondering if the connection on the unit itself may have been damaged. I am guessing the radio tuner and CD tray do not use the MOST bus in a CIC Hifi system? I am still getting the "HD" radio stations from the tuner, which I did read was sent via MOST on CCC?

Last edited by LandoT; 02-11-2020 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Correct in a Hi Fi system the connection to the amp is analog.
HD was integrated into the Head Unit in 07 or 08 .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for the info. I guess my plan of action will be too recheck the MOST connection at the CIC unit and the Combox. As I said I still saw the red light in the green wire that plugs in to the CIC and the CIC unit itself had a red light in one of the MOST ports. Maybe the connector just got slightly bent causing the issue. Hopefully I can get it resolved without replacing anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just an update, it was because of the fiber optic tubes on the back of the CIC. I got them repositioned (what a PITA) and now all is working as it should.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #9
Jack North
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I know this is an old thread but wanted some clarification on what you meant as far as your solution.

I am having the same issue. cant adjust aux vol and usb is grayed out and bluetooth doesnt work since i installed the unit.

What did you mean when you said you repositioned them? I have the same situation I have red lights on both the green fiber optics cable as well as coming out of the back of the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
LandoT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack North View Post
I know this is an old thread but wanted some clarification on what you meant as far as your solution.

I am having the same issue. cant adjust aux vol and usb is grayed out and bluetooth doesnt work since i installed the unit.

What did you mean when you said you repositioned them? I have the same situation I have red lights on both the green fiber optics cable as well as coming out of the back of the head unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack North View Post

The MOST connector on the back of the head unit got pushed inside the unit when I plugged in the AVIN adapter. I had to fish out the little plastic tube/connector and then reconnect the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0