E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Wet laps at Laguna

01-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Wet laps at Laguna

I had an opportunity to run Laguna this weekend during a NASA event. This was my first time at Laguna and my first time tracking the 335. During the second run we had what started as a heavy drizzle that turned into light rain. The track got pretty wet and at one point I had the wipers on at full speed. The rain stopped and the 3rd run was done on a fairly wet rack and the 4th was on semi-dry. The rain resulted in a few people leaving early. I spoke to one guy in an s2000 who said his car doesn’t have stability control and that it was too hairy for him. Others left because all they had where racing slicks. I was following behind a Cobra on one run and watched him slide the tail out on every turn. There where three spins in my 3rd run (thankfully not me) and plenty more the rest of the day. On my 4th run I had a gold corvette fly up on a straight and ride my butt. I gave him a pass and he was gone. When I came around turn 11 he was sitting a good twenty feet into the gravel.

Specs on my car: Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Quaife Lsd

My instructor said that my car had excellent balance and was very surprised at the acceleration (he drives a c6). No car could touch me on the straights, still I let a lot of cars pass so that I could concentrate on the fundamentals.

The rain was actually a blessing in disguise. The whole track slowed down and as a result I focused more of braking, transitioning from brakes into the turn in, picking the line and managing acceleration as I unwind out of the turn. Interestingly, I found that the best line to run while the track was wet was the primary dry track line. In that line the track was driest and warmest. Once someone went outside of the line the track became slick, so you had a narrow 8 foot wide line to shoot for. Also, anything with paint became very slick including the track lines.

I did find that the LSD demands a different type of driving. There were a few 335s on the track and it seemed that they could hammer the throttle early in the turn and all that would happen would be wheel spin. Their exit speed would suck, but they didn’t risk having the tail swing out. I, on the other hand, had to be very frugal with application of the throttle. When I did get the feel for it I found I could turn in later and be on the gas earlier. My exit speed would be 10 to 20 mph faster then any of the 335’s.

Most important thing(s) I learned: Gas is your friend in a turn, the cork-screw is nuts and, Evo’s rock in the rain.

Last edited by uberschnell; 02-05-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

I had a great time too. It was all twin turbos, but I was in the only 325i.
      01-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Sorry I missed that one guys...but I am not running with NASA any longer..and I was skiing at Northstar..it was awesome.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Hear the snow is nice right now. Cali is a great place to live, no doubt. Heading to Thunderhill in March, but it will be with NASA. Too bad you split ways.

Any suggestions on the best place to stay?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
If you want cheap..the Blue Gum Hotel...just north of Willows...best price anywhere. I have stayed in the Amerisuites...Golden Pheasant Inn...MiniPrice hotels....the Best Western Golden Pheasant allows you to be closest to your car while staying there. The Amerisuites is about the same price..and newer. The Golden Pheasant Inn has lots of hunters staying there with their dogs..and can be noisey pre-5am. Most of the time I stayed at the Best Western Golden Pheasant Inn..but it is no Ritz Carlton.that is for sure.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep

How about that 13 year old driver!!! lot better than that dude spaying dirt at turn 2 apex...on the slow 1st lap yellow.

Magna3, happy to see someone modifying their cars and actually making all the components work at the track.
      01-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm looking at one of the sessions at Buttonwillow next.
      01-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Hope to have a couple more mods in by then. Good luck at Buttonwillow
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
I had an opportunity to run Laguna this weekend during a NASA event. This was my first time at Laguna and my first time tracking the 335. During the second run we had what started as a heavy drizzle that turned into light rain. The track got pretty wet and at one point I had the wipers on at full speed. The rain stopped and the 3rd run was done on a fairly wet rack and the 4th was on semi-dry. The rain resulted in a few people leaving early. I spoke to one guy in an s2000 who said his car doesn’t have stability control and that it was too hairy for him. Others left because all they had where racing slicks. I was following behind a Cobra on one run and watched him slide the tail out on every turn. There where three spins in my 3rd run (thankfully not me) and plenty more the rest of the day. On my 4th run I had a gold corvette fly up on a straight and ride my butt. I gave him a pass and he was gone. When I came around turn 11 he was sitting a good twenty feet into the gravel.

Specs on my car: Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Quaife Lsd

My instructor said that my car had excellent balance and was very surprised at the acceleration (he drives a c6). No car could touch me on the straights, still I let a lot of cars pass so that I could concentrate on the fundamentals.

The rain was actually a blessing in disguise. The whole track slowed down and as a result I focused more of braking, transitioning from brakes into the turn in, picking the line and managing acceleration as I unwind out of the turn. Interestingly, I found that the best line to run while the track was wet was the primary dry track line. In that line the track was driest and warmest. Once someone went outside of the line the track became slick, so you had a narrow 8 foot wide line to shoot for. Also, anything with paint became very slick including the track lines.

I did find that the LSD demands a different type of driving. There were a few 335s on the track and it seemed that they could hammer the throttle early in the turn and all that would happen would be wheel spin. Their exit speed would suck, but they didn’t risk having the tail swing out. I, on the other hand, had to be very frugal with application of the throttle. When I did get the feel for it I found I could turn in later and be on the gas earlier. My exit speed would be 10 to 20 mph faster then any of the 335’s.

Most important thing(s) I learned: Gas is your friend in a turn, the cork-screw is nuts and, Evo’s rock in the rain.

+1 on the Quaife ATB LSD!
Appreciate 0