E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CCC to CIC with no kit?

10-13-2022, 12:00 AM   #1
hayhay7789
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Cool CCC to CIC with no kit?

I just picked up a pre LCI 330xi for a damn steal, only thing it needs done are the Vanos solenoids and a new iDrive unit (the CCC currently installed is stuck in a boot loop, so I’m using a Bluetooth speaker until I get this fixed). I’m considering buying a new CCC and replacing the display with an Android unit, but I worry the CCC may fail again in a couple years and force me to buy another one. I’d also prefer to keep it as close to OEM as possible. Since I have to replace iDrive anyway, I was thinking of doing a CIC conversion and then adding the CarPlay module so I can have near-OEM CarPlay. Thing is though, I’m from Canada, and when you factor in the currency conversion, a good kit from someone like Nick at CICRetrofit will run me almost $1500 (from $1000 USD…) Unfortunately, due to the currency exchange, the price is a lot more than I want to pay, which has me thinking about other possible routes I could go. I’m not afraid to do more work myself if it ends up saving me money in the end, but I haven’t really been able to clearly figure out if this is a totally DIYable job. There are some CIC units with screen for sale near me, pulled out of wrecked E90s. Would it be worth picking up one of those for $400, buying the cables I need, and trying to code it myself? Or is the coding / other parts of the process so complicated that I might as well stop even considering full-DIY as an option? Thanks! I’m totally new to BMW so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, I just haven’t been able to find a very clear answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
You can do it DIY. Your best bet is to buy with all the parts including cables and connectors and re-pinning it. Most people selling do not have all of those parts of trims, etc.

Then its just coding and computer work(which is also doable with some research). Ive done it a few times this way; You are welcome to send a PM if you have a question on it. I may even have some parts left over
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #3
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
If you are adding CarPlay, a lot if the normal retrofit tasks can be ignored. You don't need a combox and BMW Nav does not need to be activated. You don't need the USB to CIC cable. You just need basic coding skills to code the CIC to work with the options your car has. Logic 7 is an example of what needs to line up. Your 330i probably came with L7 (not 100% sure about Canada) so the CIC either needs to come from a L7 donor or needs to be coded to L7.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
hayhay7789
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
You can do it DIY. Your best bet is to buy with all the parts including cables and connectors and re-pinning it. Most people selling do not have all of those parts of trims, etc.

Then its just coding and computer work(which is also doable with some research). Ive done it a few times this way; You are welcome to send a PM if you have a question on it. I may even have some parts left over
Thank you so much, I appreciate the help! Glad to hear it's not as complicated as I thought. And I appreciate the offer If I end up needing any parts I'll hit you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
If you are adding CarPlay, a lot if the normal retrofit tasks can be ignored. You don't need a combox and BMW Nav does not need to be activated. You don't need the USB to CIC cable. You just need basic coding skills to code the CIC to work with the options your car has. Logic 7 is an example of what needs to line up. Your 330i probably came with L7 (not 100% sure about Canada) so the CIC either needs to come from a L7 donor or needs to be coded to L7.
Glad to hear that, the combox and BMW apps/nav sounded very confusing lol. As for the logic 7, these are the options that show up for my car on BMW VIN decoder:

S609 Navigation System Professional
S620 Voice Control
S640 Preparation F Tel.installation Universal
S645 BMW US Radio
S676 HiFi Speaker System
S694 Provisions For BMW 6 CD Changer

It seems my car doesn't have L7 so I got a CIC unit from a 335i with no L7 as well.
Appreciate 0