E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > I uh...have no clue what to do/get

04-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Shock6822
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I uh...have no clue what to do/get

So. I have a 2011 E92 335i that I've had for about 18 months. I enjoy it when I'm going through turns, general daily driving, etc. But recently, I find I've been yearning for something that will throw me back in my seat, so to speak. I feel like my car is quick, but not a g-force demon or whatever. I can get from 70 to 90 on the freeway and barely even notice it, and even when I accelerate from a stop, which I love doing, I don't feel like I'm thrown back in my seat as much as I'd like.

I've read about tuning and have a couple hardcore BMW friends, but the consensus seems to be a JB4/Cobb/etc won't give me the get-me-back-in-my-seat feel from a stop that I'm looking for. As a result, I've been dabbling around, looking into S4s, M3s, and C63 AMGs. If I do get a new vehicle, I want a sedan, since kids might be in the equation in a few years. The C63 is the only one I've test drive, and it's raucous and fun, but like most European cars, maintenance scares me (only interested in 2012-2014 MY). It's not that I can't afford one of these cars (looking to get around the low 40s out the door), it's just that...I'd rather invest 5 grand than use 5 grand on a C63 AMG brake pad and rotor repair, if that makes sense. I've also taken a fat depreciation hit on my 335 - got it for 31k in November 2014, can probably squeeze low to mid 20s.

Essentially, my options are:
-Keep the 335i, possibly tune/mod it, but only if it gets me those thrills I want. This is the most 'practical' option and cost conscious option. My car only has 35k miles, so it's not about to break down. Sell it a few years down the road.
-Do the monetarily silly thing, get something like a C63 AMG around $40k, take another depreciation hit but have a super crazy low-end torquey car, keep longer than ~3 years assuming things are kosher and it doesn't fall apart
-3rd option?: Keep the 335i long term, get some $15k kid hauler when that part of my life does happen, keep the Bimmer as a 3rd car?

FWIW, my commute is 2-3 miles a day, so I often take drives to drive my car and 'experience' it on nights, weekeends, etc. Sorry for the long post - as you can tell, I'm all over the place! Any advice/sanity checks welcome. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you want violent acceleration then doing a Pure S2 upgrade may get you what you want. Assuming you have a N55 car. The Jb4 will be capable of controlling it perfectly fine with some adjustments.
      04-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Tune the car. It turned my 135i into a rabid beast. I loved it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

a) your maintenance will skyrocket if you choose option 2
b) why sell and take a huge financial hit?
c) mod the crap out of your mod-friendly platform
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Can you wait until fall 2017 for the new RS3?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Shock6822
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
If you want violent acceleration then doing a Pure S2 upgrade may get you what you want. Assuming you have a N55 car. The Jb4 will be capable of controlling it perfectly fine with some adjustments.
I've never modded a car beyond cosmetics. S2 is Dinan software, correct? So this would be installing a Dinan software upgrade as well as a JB4 upgrade? That wouldn't conflict? Sorry, total newbie
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Shock6822
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
a) your maintenance will skyrocket if you choose option 2
b) why sell and take a huge financial hit?
c) mod the crap out of your mod-friendly platform

Yeah, A and B are my biggest practical concerns for sure, and I've always been a very rational/practical person haha. Girlfriend told me 'do something for yourself for once', but if I can get them same feeling from my E92, no point with the C63.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
Shock6822
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Can you wait until fall 2017 for the new RS3?

I can check it out when it comes out, but it might be a bit small for my tastes
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It depends on how much you like your car. If you have an emotional connection with it, keep it and tune it. If not, you could opt for something a bit more reliable than a C63 out of warranty, like a Corvette, Camaro or S550 Mustang that's still under warranty - if you don't mind American cars, that is. They handle like modern euro cars, cost a fraction and with 400+ lbft they'll have no problems throwing you back in your seat.

I'm an AMG owner and trust me when I say that you DON'T want to have an AMG out of warranty. The engine is bulletproof and reliable but the electronics are a completely different story. It's best to buy them new or at least CPO and sell before the warranty's up, but then you'd have to take a huge hit in depreciation like I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock6822 View Post
Girlfriend told me 'do something for yourself for once'
Clearly, she's a keeper.

On a more serious note, I was told by few people, one of them working for Benz dealership, AMG out of warranty isn't the best idea, but I can understand why you'd be tempted by C63.
Really, only you can decide, financially these things never make sense, it's all about how much you really want to have something "better". And there's always better out there, no matter what you own, the trick is to be happy with what you have. I doubt that basic tune will exactly put you over the edge, but have no experience myself with tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Shock6822
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
It depends on how much you like your car. If you have an emotional connection with it, keep it and tune it. If not, you could opt for something a bit more reliable than a C63 out of warranty, like a Corvette, Camaro or S550 Mustang that's still under warranty - if you don't mind American cars, that is. They handle like modern euro cars, cost a fraction and with 400+ lbft they'll have no problems throwing you back in your seat.

I'm an AMG owner and trust me when I say that you DON'T want to have an AMG out of warranty. The engine is bulletproof and reliable but the electronics are a completely different story. It's best to buy them new or at least CPO and sell before the warranty's up, but then you'd have to take a huge hit in depreciation like I did.
I enjoy driving it, but no true 'emotional' connection per se. I do want something with 4 doors if I get a new vehicle, otherwise I'd totally consider a Stang or Camaro. Love the new Vette too, but not the slightly older model years.

Seems like the consensus is that an AMG out of warranty is an awful idea as well. Maybe I'll look into tuning or something, but I'm a total rookie in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I enjoy driving it, but no true 'emotional' connection per se. I do want something with 4 doors if I get a new vehicle, otherwise I'd totally consider a Stang or Camaro. Love the new Vette too, but not the slightly older model years.

Seems like the consensus is that an AMG out of warranty is an awful idea as well. Maybe I'll look into tuning or something, but I'm a total rookie in that regard.
I wouldn't say awful, but you'd have to be prepared for repairs in case they come up. The thing about purchasing an AMG is that it's a very emotional decision and the sound alone is worth the entire purchase IMO (I mean the V8's, not the 4's and 6's they've been marketing as AMG's lately). When the warranty on my SL63 runs out I plan on replacing it with yet another AMG because they give you arguably the best mix of performance, luxury and raw power.

A friend of mine bought his last gen R230 SL63 back in 2009 and it still hasn't given him a single problem! On the other hand, my R231 has had a handful of issues (all of which have been fixed under warranty) but that doesn't stop me from smiling like a retard every time I drive it. I don't have much experience with C63's but I personally wouldn't risk it and buy an AMG out of warranty because they are rather unpredictable when it comes to reliability.

As for having 4 doors, I would've recommended the Charger but that's pretty shit when it comes to corners. How about the Chevy SS? You could also try the Lexus ISF if you're concerned about reliability, or the Gen 2 Cadillac CTSV sedan, which I'm guessing will be a fair bit cheaper to fix in case something goes wrong. I'm not sure about the American market but here in Dubai you can find all these cars under warranty or CPO within your price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Shock6822
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't say awful, but you'd have to be prepared for repairs in case they come up. The thing about purchasing an AMG is that it's a very emotional decision and the sound alone is worth the entire purchase IMO (I mean the V8's, not the 4's and 6's they've been marketing as AMG's lately). When the warranty on my SL63 runs out I plan on replacing it with yet another AMG because they give you arguably the best mix of performance, luxury and raw power.

A friend of mine bought his last gen R230 SL63 back in 2009 and it still hasn't given him a single problem! On the other hand, my R231 has had a handful of issues (all of which have been fixed under warranty) but that doesn't stop me from smiling like a retard every time I drive it. I don't have much experience with C63's but I personally wouldn't risk it and buy an AMG out of warranty because they are rather unpredictable when it comes to reliability.

As for having 4 doors, I would've recommended the Charger but that's pretty shit when it comes to corners. How about the Chevy SS? You could also try the Lexus ISF if you're concerned about reliability, or the Gen 2 Cadillac CTSV sedan, which I'm guessing will be a fair bit cheaper to fix in case something goes wrong. I'm not sure about the American market but here in Dubai you can find all these cars under warranty or CPO within your price range.

I've driven the IS F several times, and I'm just not too satisfied with its torque ratios (?) - it seems to punch in at high RPMs, but I want that low RPM thrust. CTS-V had crossed my mind, but I had almost disregarded it because of the sheer weight, but I suppose it's worth checking out. I probably won't look into the SS because my gf drives my car sometimes and she doesn't drive stick (and I certainly won't let her learn on a new car of mine, which probably makes me a bad person lol)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus

This. Those repair bills can get scary.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
I've never modded a car beyond cosmetics. S2 is Dinan software, correct? So this would be installing a Dinan software upgrade as well as a JB4 upgrade? That wouldn't conflict? Sorry, total newbie
Don't do Dinan software.

Do JB4, set it up to control this: http://www.pureturbos.com/store/bmw-...e-stage-2.html
      04-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

A wild suggestion but maybe keep the 335 as your daily and do something like the Fiat Spider Abarth when it comes out with the Alfa 4C engine in it for your off hours fun? Miata handling, Italian good looks and a proper engine? Yes please.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You live in Cali, get a sport bike.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #18
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Think the feeling diminishes over the length of the ownership. I recall loving the acceleration of my FBO JB4 N54 335i w/meth spray. When I put it back to stock it was a dog, slow and laggy with a spongy pedal. The ride (after putting back to stock) to give it back left a really bad taste in my mouth, like "wow I had to tune the hell out of that thing to enjoy it".

Then i grabbed a 535i F10 JB4 Catless DPs and that was a dog, really was a bad purchase.

Then the X5M tuned w/ Velos S2 and AA catless downpipes and the truck with AWD and 650ft/lbs of tq gives my passengers whiplash if i do not warn them. Another world.

In short - tune the 335i as it should be able to be an absolute beast or grab an X5M if you want violent acceleration. The C63 was pretty quick but not savage, same with the E9X M3 - i preferred the tuned 335i to those.

If you want that g force feeling I recommend grabbing a high TQ awd monster and you will smile at every single stoplight.

EDIT
Just read a little on the Pure upgrade and it looks awesome. Do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Jaguar XF-R. Beast of a thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #20
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Think the feeling diminishes over the length of the ownership. I recall loving the acceleration of my FBO JB4 N54 335i w/meth spray. When I put it back to stock it was a dog, slow and laggy with a spongy pedal. The ride (after putting back to stock) to give it back left a really bad taste in my mouth, like "wow I had to tune the hell out of that thing to enjoy it".

Then i grabbed a 535i F10 JB4 Catless DPs and that was a dog, really was a bad purchase.

Then the X5M tuned w/ Velos S2 and AA catless downpipes and the truck with AWD and 650ft/lbs of tq gives my passengers whiplash if i do not warn them. Another world.

In short - tune the 335i as it should be able to be an absolute beast or grab an X5M if you want violent acceleration. The C63 was pretty quick but not savage, same with the E9X M3 - i preferred the tuned 335i to those.

If you want that g force feeling I recommend grabbing a high TQ awd monster and you will smile at every single stoplight.

EDIT
Just read a little on the Pure upgrade and it looks awesome. Do that.
That's good to hear about the X5M, that's a car I'm considering if I don't get the new Hellcat Jeep.

I didn't find the C63 to be as brutal as people say. Maybe I just bought into the hype too much, but I found it to be kind of boring and not as quick/crazy as I'd heard. I ended up buying an E92 M3 instead, and if you disregard the torque difference that is obviously there I feel like my FBO/tuned M3 feels quicker and way more fun to drive.

I've also driven a few stock 335i, I agree that they are pretty underwhelming stock. They felt kind of boring and clinical to drive, like a commuter car for the masses. Not a bad car in any way, but I like a more raw and connected feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

I'm not familiar with MB's at all, but what were some of the things that went wrong with your car? Always interesting for me to know what their weak spots are.

I've actually never owned a car with a warranty
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #22
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm not familiar with MB's at all, but what were some of the things that went wrong with your car? Always interesting for me to know what their weak spots are.

I've actually never owned a car with a warranty
The worst thing that happened was that the passenger side window shattered by itself. I drove the car the previous night and parked it in my closed garage, only to find the window shattered early in the morning. It was severely cracked and bulging out of the car but didn't disintegrate, so it's not like somebody tried to break in either. Nobody could have possibly entered the garage so how this happened is still a mystery. The dealer said I had to pay for this since physical damage wasn't covered under warranty and there was no accident so insurance didn't pay either..

There were some other minor issues like the soft touch door stopped working one side, lane departure warning started malfunctioning and there was some strange buzzing noise from the passenger window at speeds above 140kph (perhaps it had something to do with the cracked window?). Anyway, these issues have been fixed under warranty with zero cost but you'd expect better from a car that cost AED 720k (about $200,000)

Having said that, aside from these minor issues (that don't really affect the drive that much), the car is amazing. The comfort is next to none, and I'd go as far as saying that this is probably the most luxurious 2 seat hard top convertible on the market. That coupled with the beastly AMG soundtrack and 664lbft of torque made me choose this over a California. However I hate their new curvy design language so I don't really see myself going back to the brand (except the G class), until they move on to a different style. If I still plan on keeping the car when the warranty is about to expire, I'll take it to Brabus and get it tuned so I have 2 more years of warranty at least on the engine and transmission.
Appreciate 0