E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone running a trunk mount Meth system with all SS lines and fittings? AEM says no.

09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Anyone running a trunk mount Meth system with all SS lines and fittings? AEM says no.

I'm trying to build a trunk mount meth system to integrate with my Procede Rev 3, so I'm trying to source the same parts that are in Vishnu's kit but am hitting some hurdles.

Vishnu's site shows the AEM 200psi pump is used. I asked on the AEM forums if/where I could source fittings for the pump to use all SS lines and AN fittings and this was the response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS @ AEMElectronicsforum
Unfortunately the push-to-connect fittings that are in the pump can not be changed out.
Truth? What options do I have?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

looking at the pump i'd say that is correct
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

shiv had to change out the pump head in order to have compression fitting installed to the pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Howerton engineering sells a replacement pump head that takes the 3/8" AN fittings but I don't know if that would fit the old pump. It looks very similar and the replacement is only $78 so you can give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I was checking that out, but it looks like it fits the Aquamist 160psi pump. The pump in the Vishnu kit appears to be a 200psi pump... AEM labeled (rebadged?).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They are all made by aquatec, the howerton one is the variable speed 5800 series, I'm not home right now to check which one the AEM is but check the sticker and see. You can probably reach out to them directly and see if they have replacement heads for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
I'm trying to build a trunk mount meth system to integrate with my Procede Rev 3, so I'm trying to source the same parts that are in Vishnu's kit but am hitting some hurdles.

Vishnu's site shows the AEM 200psi pump is used. I asked on the AEM forums if/where I could source fittings for the pump to use all SS lines and AN fittings and this was the response:

Truth? What options do I have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
Howerton engineering sells a replacement pump head that takes the 3/8" AN fittings but I don't know if that would fit the old pump. It looks very similar and the replacement is only $78 so you can give it a try.
LOL,.... I am in the process of doing the exact same thing.

I ran into the same road blocks. Everyone said it could NOT be done and that we needed a new pump to do it. I think I finally figured out how to do it.

Just ordered my replacement pump head for $16 from Devils Own website. Howerton is $78 for the same pump head. Unfortunately the site is currently down but they have all the pieces we need along with a few from Howerton Eng. Or you could buy them all from Howerton Eng. I spoke with Jeff at Howerton and he said I would need the 3/8 to 1/8 bushings and then the 1/8 to -4AN conversion. You need a total of 2 bushings (inlet and outlet on pump) and 7 converters. (tank outlet, pump inlet, pump outlet, FAV inlet, FAV outlet, and 2 nozzles)

I am not sure why we cannot just use this 3/8 NPT to -4AN adapter found at Summit Racing or any other supplier. I suspect it is because the NPT makes a seal by pressure on the threads. Since the pump head is plastic we could strip it and have a leak. With the bushings that Howerton sells they are actually 3/8 BSPP which is similar to NPT but the seal is made with a rubber O-ring. The SAME type of O-ring found on the NEW Vishnu pump. From there you can convert to AN or compression fittings. Then obviously connect your SS lines with AN fittings attached. Devils Own has the ability to make SS lines cut to length as does Howerton.

That should be all we need to do this. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Just ordered my replacement pump head for $16 from Devils Own website. Howerton is $78 for the same pump head.
Let's hope your big assumption (that the head fits the old AEM pump and works) pans out.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
Let's hope your big assumption (that the head fits the old AEM pump and works) pans out.
I already checked that out as well. I have the newer pump from Vishnu with quick connect but the AEM and Aquamist pumps are both made by Aquatec. On one of the Subaru forums there was a Aquamist and AEM rep that verified this. Nearly all of the Aquatec pump heads are identical except for the inlet/outlet fittings. Most offer the quick connect because its cheaper and easier to service when people do not need so many connectors, bushings, etc.

I will post pics when I get it. Supposed to be here by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Nice! IIRC, when I built my MR2's meth kit, I used the standard 3/8 to -4AN conversion fittings... I certainly didn't step it down to 1/8 first. I do remember thinking that it was a little hair-raising tightening them down and not cracking the plastic head, but it never leaked.. keep us informed!

Are you piecing your whole kit together? I see Howerton Engineering has the FAV, what flow sensor are you using? I can't make out what brand it is from Vishnu's pictures...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice! IIRC, when I built my MR2's meth kit, I used the standard 3/8 to -4AN conversion fittings... I certainly didn't step it down to 1/8 first. I do remember thinking that it was a little hair-raising tightening them down and not cracking the plastic head, but it never leaked.. keep us informed!

Are you piecing your whole kit together? I see Howerton Engineering has the FAV, what flow sensor are you using? I can't make out what brand it is from Vishnu's pictures...
Yes piecing it together myself. I will use all the Vishnu pieces unless I have a problem with the exception of the SS lines and fittings. I plan for everything from trunk mount tank to nozzle to be SS and running under car. I am particularly determined to make it workout because I have a E93 and will need my tank behind the center passthrough seat. I do not want to worry about fires. I realize nothing is guaranteed but I think this is safest.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
good info in this thread. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes piecing it together myself. I will use all the Vishnu pieces unless I have a problem with the exception of the SS lines and fittings. I plan for everything from trunk mount tank to nozzle to be SS and running under car. I am particularly determined to make it workout because I have a E93 and will need my tank behind the center passthrough seat. I do not want to worry about fires. I realize nothing is guaranteed but I think this is safest.
Keep us posted... I'm a little worried that if our primary concern is to eliminate leaks and potential fires by going all SS lines, changing the head of the pump with an older model or different model may be shooting ourselves in the foot if they're not 100% compatible. The head has to seal to the pump with the same method/size seal I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted... I'm a little worried that if our primary concern is to eliminate leaks and potential fires by going all SS lines, changing the head of the pump with an older model or different model may be shooting ourselves in the foot if they're not 100% compatible. The head has to seal to the pump with the same method/size seal I would imagine.
Again,...I have checked this out with several sources. It is compatible and an identical head except for the fittings. Ask Jeff at Howerton Eng. He sells the exact same head I bought from Devils Own. I am not sure why his is so much higher in price than Devils Own website though. I have seen other places to source the pump head from that were about $36-38 as well. There should be no reason why it does not work. I am willing to take a $16 gamble based on all my info that it will work.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan

So you guys are running a bigger line from the trunk to engine bay? From 1/8 to 3/8? Is that needed? Better?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 TuNeR View Post
So you guys are running a bigger line from the trunk to engine bay? From 1/8 to 3/8? Is that needed? Better?
No, it's reduced to 1/8 with fittings, 3/8 is the actual pump outlet but you can't connect a line directly to it. Besides 3/8 is way too big and I don't think those pumps can support that over 15' lines.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I don't think you need to reduce it to 1/8 if you can find a 3/8 to -3AN adapter... the less connections, the lesser the chances for leaks...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again,...I have checked this out with several sources. It is compatible and an identical head except for the fittings. Ask Jeff at Howerton Eng. He sells the exact same head I bought from Devils Own. I am not sure why his is so much higher in price than Devils Own website though. I have seen other places to source the pump head from that were about $36-38 as well. There should be no reason why it does not work. I am willing to take a $16 gamble based on all my info that it will work.
Any news?

I was thinking as a less satisfactory but plausible solution to the push on head, what if you ran a filter like this:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-...on-filter-1161

You could have your tank on the left hand corner of the trunk, run ss lines from the tank to one of these filters that would be hard mounted to the plastic bin under the trunk floor, then run a short nylon line to the pump, then a short nylon line to another filter, then SS lines to the front of the car.

Both filters and pump would be bolted to the trunk bin so they would never really move, and that would reduce any risk that little bit of nylon hose would be flexed or subject to any forces that may cause it to leak. You'd have SS lines in the important places... where they pass through partitions and run under the car and such..

It looks like that filter has the standard 3/8npt ports that would accept 3/8 to push on, or 3/8 to AN adapters.. would running that filter pre and post pump reduce flow?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

DONE!!!

So I got the Devils own pump head the other day. I replaced the pump head just now. Pump has 4 long T-20 screws and 3 short T-20 screws. There are 2 washers per screw. The larger of the 2 washers goes toward the base of the screw. It is simple remove replace. Fifteen minutes...tops!

I did also order the Devils own 3/8 to AN fitting but it was too tight to put in the 3/8 hole and it is too long. I dont think it works well. I also bought the more expensive pump bushings from Howerton Eng.. Obviously, you need 2 one for each side. I then tried the Devils Own Conversion kit but that too was too long and too tight. I am concerned the Devils Own conversion kit would strip the threads and cause a leak. The Howerton CLEARLY is a better fit. Unfortunately I did not buy the Howerton conversion kit until I was sure of this. You need a total of 7 of these and they come 4 per kit at a cost of about $65 each. So we need 2 kits. This is still needed even if we bought the $245 pump from Vishnu. The main benefit of this conversion to NPT fittings is that it is only ~$16 from Devils Own. Howerton sells these for $78. (Sorry Jeff but thats a big difference)... We do in my opinion need the Pump Bushing and Conversion kit from Howerton for the best fit. Here are all the links you need. Too bad the Devils Own conversion does not work well as they are about $2 a piece whereas the Howerton are $16 a piece....OUCH.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-npt-head.html

http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...p-Bushing.html

http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...%7B47%7D2.html

Pics show before and after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Anything Howerton sells could be had for 25% of the cost from other sources.

If you have push-connect fittings on your pump and don't want to spend the money to convert and don't want to spend the time to find the parts way cheaper you can just put a 1/2" long nylon hose into it and then throw another push to connect fitting on the other end of the hose with the NPT thread. Then throw an NPT to AN fitting on it and run your stainless line under the car.

So you basically have stainless lines except half an inch or even less of nylon hose right at the pump head.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I got the Devils own pump head the other day. I replaced the pump head just now. Pump has 4 long T-20 screws and 3 short T-20 screws. There are 2 washers per screw. The larger of the 2 washers goes toward the base of the screw. It is simple remove replace. Fifteen minutes...tops!

I did also order the Devils own 3/8 to AN fitting but it was too tight to put in the 3/8 hole and it is too long. I dont think it works well. I also bought the more expensive pump bushings from Howerton Eng.. Obviously, you need 2 one for each side. I then tried the Devils Own Conversion kit but that too was too long and too tight. I am concerned the Devils Own conversion kit would strip the threads and cause a leak. The Howerton CLEARLY is a better fit. Unfortunately I did not buy the Howerton conversion kit until I was sure of this. You need a total of 7 of these and they come 4 per kit at a cost of about $65 each. So we need 2 kits. This is still needed even if we bought the $245 pump from Vishnu. The main benefit of this conversion to NPT fittings is that it is only ~$16 from Devils Own. Howerton sells these for $78. (Sorry Jeff but thats a big difference)... We do in my opinion need the Pump Bushing and Conversion kit from Howerton for the best fit. Here are all the links you need. Too bad the Devils Own conversion does not work well as they are about $2 a piece whereas the Howerton are $16 a piece....OUCH.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-npt-head.html

http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...p-Bushing.html

http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...%7B47%7D2.html

Pics show before and after.
Excellent work!!

Did you try searching for a 3/8" BSPP to -3 or -4an fitting? You could bypass the stepdown to 1/8" BSPP that way. Not sure if that exists, just a thought..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did also order the Devils own 3/8 to AN fitting but it was too tight to put in the 3/8 hole and it is too long. I dont think it works well. I also bought the more expensive pump bushings from Howerton Eng.. Obviously, you need 2 one for each side. I then tried the Devils Own Conversion kit but that too was too long and too tight. I am concerned the Devils Own conversion kit would strip the threads and cause a leak. The Howerton CLEARLY is a better fit. Unfortunately I did not buy the Howerton conversion kit until I was sure of this. You need a total of 7 of these and they come 4 per kit at a cost of about $65 each. So we need 2 kits. This is still needed even if we bought the $245 pump from Vishnu. The main benefit of this conversion to NPT fittings is that it is only ~$16 from Devils Own. Howerton sells these for $78. (Sorry Jeff but thats a big difference)... We do in my opinion need the Pump Bushing and Conversion kit from Howerton for the best fit.
Thanks for the research!

I don't think you need 2 conversion kits, just an extra -4an nozzle adapter and a T adapter for the 2 nozzles which I can't find on Howerton's site at all. Did that come with any of your kits?

Also you are converting all the lines to -4an, correct? The Vishnu kit uses smaller lines from the FAV to the nozzles, is that going to be a problem?
Appreciate 0