E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Electrical issue

03-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Foster2689
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i e90

Electrical issue

Hi I have a 2006 E90 330i, I do not have stop start or I-drive.

The other day I got in and put the key in and my dashboard when crazy with multiple warnings going off the hazard light switch was on flashing faster than normal, the radio was cutting in and out and the rev counter dial was coming coming in and out too.

My first fault was either a battery or an alternator. So as it ran ok I managed to drive to work and tested the battery. It came back as bad and replace on my tester so I fitted a new battery and it all went back to normal. So I assumed problem solved but next time I went to drive it the dashboard was going crazy again.

So I tested the alternator which came back as ok and took it to garage who quickly double checked the battery and alternator and he said they are both working fine. So I parked it up at work with the plan to book it in with the local garage for a proper look. But I went to start it the next day and the problem had obviously drained just enough out of the battery when it was parked to stop it starting.

So I jumped started the car and the dashboard appeared to be working fine again. And I drove the car 3 more times without a problem. Then the problem came back again so I decided to disconnect the battery and wait a couple minutes before reconnecting and it all worked fine for the drive home.

Obviously something is not right and disconnecting the battery seems a temporary solution does anyone have an idea of what it could be causing this and if there is an easy way to test any suspected causes?

Thanks

In advance
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Sounds like you might be experiencing some sort of parastic drain. You may want to refer to this link:

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:44 AM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Just curious, when the battery was replaced, did you register it?
also as a second point, there is a grounding strap on the driver's side of the engine.
Look up e90 grounding strap, and see if it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Foster2689
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i e90

I dont think there's a drain on the battery. I think the battery was on it's way out and this problem finished it off.

If I leave the car parked when the dashboard is working fine there is no issue with the battery. It only lost charge when I parked and the dashboard was going crazy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the battery only needs to registered if you have IBS.

I am starting to think something might be getting damp. I spoke to someone who suggested that might be the problem and now I think about it last time it started playing up I had just washed it.
Appreciate 0