E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i owners, when did you have your 1st oil change?

12-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #23
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

12-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #24
88stlgrym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Lexus IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMardik View Post
I'm at 11000 miles with no oil changes and waiting for the BMW suggested 15k mile oil change. I say hell, they must know something!

Oh, i've had to refill the oil twice. 1qt at 5000 miles, and 1qt at 10000 miles.
i asked dealer about top off the oil and they don't recommend it unless the low oil light was on.
2009 Smoky Granite Mica Lexus IS350, F-Sport products: 19'' staggered forged wheels, cold air intake, exhaust, rear sway bar, BC Racing coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

not yet,2600 miles on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #26
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

6500 (and I bought the car and plan on keeping it at least 7 years and 100,000)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Xiaofeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007.5 E90 335xi Montego/Lemon

Garage List
2007 E90 335xi  [0.00]
1991 325iX  [0.00]
First one at ~2,000 miles, and will change again ~8,000 miles. BMW will pay for the 15,000 mile change, but the others come out of my pocket.

As for whether it's necessary or not, that's a debate that will probably go on for as long as engines require oil, but for me, I plan on keeping the car for a long time, and $80 is a small price to pay to ensure that the car gets fresh oil and I have peace of mind. I've stuck to the old ~5,000 mile oil changes for as long as I've been driving, and my old E30 325ix with ~200,000 miles on it ran perfectly fine. How much of that is due to my more rigorous maintenance schedule is up for debate, but I have no plans on taking an unnecessary risk just to save a few dollars.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #28
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMardik View Post
I'm at 11000 miles with no oil changes and waiting for the BMW suggested 15k mile oil change. I say hell, they must know something!
I hope you are leasing.... I am sure people who are lacking oil coolers and overheating think like you do too and fall for BMW's marketing scam.....

To answer the OP's question:

2100 miles
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #29
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I hope you are leasing.... I am sure people who are lacking oil coolers and overheating think like you do too and fall for BMW's marketing scam.....

To answer the OP's question:

2100 miles
you really think a highly reputable company that has incredible re-sale and certified pre-owned cars would risk the long term effects of their engines (great engines == what BMW is all about??) all to market them better? seems illogical to me?

on top of that, i have never heard of anyone complaining on any boards (former e46 owner) about ill effects from following BMW's "marketing scam"/maintenance schedule?

please enlighten me..

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
2.5k .... next one at 6k then 10k, and then every 5k.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #31
nub340
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

I'm at 8.5k miles on my lease with no oil changes yet, still waiting for the 15k mark. I've had to add +1 quart twice so far. Fully synthetic oil lasts a lot longer than regular oil anyway, I'm not the least bit worried - although I keep 2 xtra quarts in the trunk just in case it gets thirsty again.

R135 │ 2009 335i E92 6MT / LeMans Blue / Black Dakota / Gray Poplar
└┼┼┤ │ Premium / M-Sport / Nav / HD / PDC
.246 │ Heated Seats / iPod+USB / Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #32
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
15k before an oil change with a twin turbo car is insane ... for those of you who are waiting ....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #33
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rips335iCoupe View Post
15k before an oil change with a twin turbo car is insane ... for those of you who are waiting ....
as i stated above....why?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #34
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
When motor oil isn't changed often enough, varnish deposits and sludge begin to form inside the engine. If the oil is neglected long enough, it will eventually turn into goo and ruin the engine.

"Oil sludging" has become a serious problem in recent years for a number of reasons. One is that more new car buyers lease their vehicles rather than purchase them. Because they know they're only going to keep the vehicle for two, three or four years, they tend to forget important things like changing the oil and filter. They figure the next owner can pay the price for their neglect. But all too often, the oil doesn't go the distance and their engine is gunked up or ruined before the lease expires.

Aggravating the situation are consumer misconceptions about how often the oil needs to be changed. In recent years, many vehicle manufacturers have extended their recommended oil change intervals to reduce maintenance costs for the vehicle owner - and have run into trouble. The Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org) has logged more than a thousand complaints about oil sludging problems from motorists who thought they were following the service intervals recommended in their owner's manuals, but ended up with a crankcase full of sludge.

Extended oil change intervals of 7,500 or 10,000 miles or more are based on ideal operating conditions, not the type of short-trip, stop-and-go driving that is typical for many motorists. Worse yet, some vehicles have no scheduled oil change interval and use an "oil change reminder light" to signal the driver when an oil change is needed. Unfortunately, the reminder light may not come on until 12,000 miles or more in some vehicles - and even then the driver may ignore it.

Oil life depends on many factors including driving conditions (speed, load, idle time, etc.), environmental factors (temperature, humidity, airborne dirt) and engine wear. As a general rule, most experts still recommend changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. Why? Because this provides the best all-round protection for the average driver.

Most drivers should actually follow a "severe" service maintenance schedule (3,000-mile oil changes) rather than a "normal" service schedule to protect their engines. Severe service is when most trips are less than four miles (10 miles when the temperature is below freezing), prolonged driving at high speed during hot weather, idling for extended periods of time (20 minutes or more), towing a trailer and/or driving in dusty or heavily polluted areas.

Some engines, such as diesels, suffer more blowby than others and typically require more frequent oil and filter changes. For most passenger car and light truck diesels, the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles without exception - especially in turbo diesels.

Turbocharged gasoline engines also require more frequent oil changes because of the high temperatures inside the turbo that can oxidize oil. A 3,000-mile oil change interval is also recommended for all turbocharged gasoline engines.

When the oil remains in the crankcase too long, the additives that enable it to lubricate and protect the engine become depleted. The oil wears out and no longer has the same viscosity range it had when it was new. It also gets dirtier and dirtier as moisture, acids, soot and wear particles accumulate. The filter can only remove so much, and eventually plugs up allowing unfiltered oil to reach the bearings. Once this occurs, wear skyrockets and the engine is headed for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

did mine right after the break in at 1200
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #36
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
you really think a highly reputable company that has incredible re-sale and certified pre-owned cars would risk the long term effects of their engines (great engines == what BMW is all about??) all to market them better? seems illogical to me?

on top of that, i have never heard of anyone complaining on any boards (former e46 owner) about ill effects from following BMW's "marketing scam"/maintenance schedule?

please enlighten me..
Read over 1000000+ posts in addition to other 5000+ oil analysis made coming out of BMW engines after 15K miles..... And show me ONE thread or oil analysis that indicates oil being fine after 15K miles.....

BMW putting crappy fuel pumps and not recalling them and replacing them with the same identical pump= illogical
No oil coolers on early auto 335's = illogical
Crappy power windows on E46's & Mini's = illogical (our mini just got out of warranty and sure enough power window went out again)

You must really be one of those who really trusts "the system!"
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #37
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When motor oil isn't changed often enough, varnish deposits and sludge begin to form inside the engine. If the oil is neglected long enough, it will eventually turn into goo and ruin the engine.

"Oil sludging" has become a serious problem in recent years for a number of reasons. One is that more new car buyers lease their vehicles rather than purchase them. Because they know they're only going to keep the vehicle for two, three or four years, they tend to forget important things like changing the oil and filter. They figure the next owner can pay the price for their neglect. But all too often, the oil doesn't go the distance and their engine is gunked up or ruined before the lease expires.

Aggravating the situation are consumer misconceptions about how often the oil needs to be changed. In recent years, many vehicle manufacturers have extended their recommended oil change intervals to reduce maintenance costs for the vehicle owner - and have run into trouble. The Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org) has logged more than a thousand complaints about oil sludging problems from motorists who thought they were following the service intervals recommended in their owner's manuals, but ended up with a crankcase full of sludge.

Extended oil change intervals of 7,500 or 10,000 miles or more are based on ideal operating conditions, not the type of short-trip, stop-and-go driving that is typical for many motorists. Worse yet, some vehicles have no scheduled oil change interval and use an "oil change reminder light" to signal the driver when an oil change is needed. Unfortunately, the reminder light may not come on until 12,000 miles or more in some vehicles - and even then the driver may ignore it.

Oil life depends on many factors including driving conditions (speed, load, idle time, etc.), environmental factors (temperature, humidity, airborne dirt) and engine wear. As a general rule, most experts still recommend changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. Why? Because this provides the best all-round protection for the average driver.

Most drivers should actually follow a "severe" service maintenance schedule (3,000-mile oil changes) rather than a "normal" service schedule to protect their engines. Severe service is when most trips are less than four miles (10 miles when the temperature is below freezing), prolonged driving at high speed during hot weather, idling for extended periods of time (20 minutes or more), towing a trailer and/or driving in dusty or heavily polluted areas.

Some engines, such as diesels, suffer more blowby than others and typically require more frequent oil and filter changes. For most passenger car and light truck diesels, the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles without exception - especially in turbo diesels.

Turbocharged gasoline engines also require more frequent oil changes because of the high temperatures inside the turbo that can oxidize oil. A 3,000-mile oil change interval is also recommended for all turbocharged gasoline engines.

When the oil remains in the crankcase too long, the additives that enable it to lubricate and protect the engine become depleted. The oil wears out and no longer has the same viscosity range it had when it was new. It also gets dirtier and dirtier as moisture, acids, soot and wear particles accumulate. The filter can only remove so much, and eventually plugs up allowing unfiltered oil to reach the bearings. Once this occurs, wear skyrockets and the engine is headed for disaster.
thanks for the copy and paste off the net, but how does that apply directly to BMWs?? i mean BMW engines run with more oil then most cars. BMW uses only synthetic oil. BMW has a more advanced onboard computer, then your article speaks of, that monitors your driving habits to determine when your oil changes should occur.

and where are all the BMW owners complaining about "sludge" and how they are having engine OR ineffeciency problems?

Let me echo my statements from above, how can BMW put out a service schedule that you claim is detrimental to anyone who doesn’t drive under "optimal conditions"?? my feeling is you are from the "old school" and refuse to believe the advances in synthetic oil, engines, and onboard computer technology.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #38
nub340
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's nice.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #39
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Read over 1000000+ posts in addition to other 5000+ oil analysis made coming out of BMW engines after 15K miles..... And show me ONE thread or oil analysis that indicates oil being fine after 15K miles.....

BMW putting crappy fuel pumps and not recalling them and replacing them with the same identical pump= illogical
No oil coolers on early auto 335's = illogical
Crappy power windows on E46's & Mini's = illogical (our mini just got out of warranty and sure enough power window went out)

You must really be one of those who really trusts "the system!"
you are comparing problems with 335is, a 1st year model VS. 15 oil intervals!??! i mean come on, at least compare apples to apples??

to your point show me 1 thread that indicates problems after 15k internval oil changes? i can tell you my e46 NEVER had problems and i don't envision my e92 running into problems.

maybe i am being fooled by the system and i am just "lucky" but i have never heard of any issues. plus, i talk to the technicians at my dealership and by the conversations i have with them they must be fooled too?

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #40
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
maybe i am being fooled by the system
Yes you are ...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #41
nub340
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL. One of the main selling points for me to lease a 335i coupe was the 4-year free maintenance inlcuding oil changes. I figure I'll lease the car, drive it like I stole it for 3 years, take it in for the scheduled maintenance and if anything "bad" happens in the meantime, the warranty will cover it. Damn I'm hungry.. LUNCH TIME!

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #42
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nub340 View Post
LOL. One of the main selling points for me to lease a 335i coupe was the 4-year free maintenance inlcuding oil changes. I figure I'll lease the car, drive it like I stole it for 3 years, take it in for the scheduled maintenance and if anything "bad" happens in the meantime, the warranty will cover it.
Me don't lease ... me like my car ... me take care ... me do oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #43
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Me don't lease ... me like my car ... me take care ... me do oil change.
not sure what language that is? i mean i use 87 octane too, that 91 (or 93 octane) are for suckers.

ok that was just a joke, i use at least 91.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #44
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
not sure what language that is? i mean i use 87 octane too, that 91 (or 93 octane) are for suckers.

ok that was just a joke, i use at least 91.
you should find a place that sells 100 racing fuel .... the car becomes a real BEAST!!
Appreciate 0