E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 328xi - Vibration 55+ mph

03-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Parity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi, Mazdaspeed3

E90 328xi - Vibration 55+ mph

Hey all,

Just recently began noticing a vibration coming from the center of the vehicle, sort of through the driver/passenger seat. Its extremely faint, and not felt through the steering wheel and doubt its coming from the tires.

As a newish BMW owner, I've done some digging and read it could either be the Guibo, Carrier Bearing, or ujoints in the driveshaft (although not servicable). Before I go ordering a new driveshaft, is there a way to tell if the Guibo failed? Based on the symptoms I'm leaning towards a new Guibo (with guide here, especially since its not a difficult job.

What are your thoughts?

2008 E90 328xi - 6 speed
120,000 miles
Completely stock

Last edited by Parity; 03-05-2020 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

Jerky acceleration, clunking noises that are worse as the car warms up, a clunk and a jerk when the clutch is depressed. Delayed acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Parity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi, Mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolien View Post
Jerky acceleration, clunking noises that are worse as the car warms up, a clunk and a jerk when the clutch is depressed. Delayed acceleration.
Interesting...I haven't noticed too many clunks, however sometimes i feel subtle ones when shifting between gears as the car is warmed up. No delay really in acceleration - if I give it gas hard in first it pulls good for the NA motor. I always attributed any delay in acceleration to the clutch as it seems to be slipping a little.

Would I be able to tell if the guibo is shot by a visual inspection without taking it off? The part is cheap enough that I'd place my bet on that and just replace it since it seems like an easy fix - don't even need to pull the driveshaft or exhaust out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

when its really bad you might see the rubber completely torn from the outer frame, also is it a constant vibration?
Appreciate 0