E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > n52 Tune for 3 Stage Intake Manifold - new CA smog test

11-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #45
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The checksum is updated regardless of how you flash, and the VIN is always going to be there (unless you got a donor DME or something). I think it will be fine but I can't know for sure because in expert mode it doesn't write to the UIF, but I also do not know if the DME even uses that to report the software version info to CARB. As long as the DME reports the software version that's actually inside your DME to CARB, then it doesn't matter.

Batch flashing always uses expert mode - that's how it works. If you want to use comfort mode, you have to use the WinKFP interface and flash it by entering your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #46
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The checksum is updated regardless of how you flash, and the VIN is always going to be there (unless you got a donor DME or something). I think it will be fine but I can't know for sure because in expert mode it doesn't write to the UIF, but I also do not know if the DME even uses that to report the software version info to CARB. As long as the DME reports the software version that's actually inside your DME to CARB, then it doesn't matter.

Batch flashing always uses expert mode - that's how it works. If you want to use comfort mode, you have to use the WinKFP interface and flash it by entering your VIN.
Even comfort mode will not correct the "coding error". That can only be fixed by Coding with Ncsexpert.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #47
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

rjahl

Can you enlighten me on how to flash using comfort mode then?

I don't care about the "coding error." I just need to complete the process using comfort mode so it will update the vin/checksum for smog purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #48
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for this input. So you think i'll be ok? There is no "pass or free retest" option anymore in California.

I also saw an option in winkfp to check a box that says "force program programming in comfort mode" will that do the trick if I check that box prior to batch flashing?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #49
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

no, that won't do anything.

Honestly I can't say for sure. If you go into INPA, and read the current DME status - does it report the same software that you flashed? If so, I think you're good. But I don't know how the test is reading the software version.

The plus side is, if you go and it passes without issue, we'll all know for sure what needs to be done to pass the CVN check.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #50
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Stock program and stock tune works in expert mode via batch files.

CA smog at test only facility passed.

Just reflashed to 330i tune and all good for 2 more years until next smog.
Appreciate 6
      11-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #51
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Awesome! I mean, you took a risk - but now we know for sure, they are not reading the UIF, the DME just reports the actual checksum stored in the calibration and program.

Next would be just making it so the checksum always matched the program version string. That's something I've wanted to do for ages, I just haven't had time to mess with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #52
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome! I mean, you took a risk - but now we know for sure, they are not reading the UIF, the DME just reports the actual checksum stored in the calibration and program.

Next would be just making it so the checksum always matched the program version string. That's something I've wanted to do for ages, I just haven't had time to mess with it.
https://github.com/resilar/crchack

Hassmachine, check this out, maybe this will help.

Reverse CRC checksum creation
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #53
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I definitely took a risk. Maybe 2 and almost 3 risks if it didn't go right.

I said more risks because it actually failed the first time due to the parts of the OBD being "not ready" which was the o2 and catalyst. I needed more time driving the car to get those systems ready for smog, which was strange because it's my wife's daily and she drove it for 3 days (but it kind of makes sense because she only drove to work and back and each day was like 5 miles of street driving).

The last thing I wanted to do was to retake the test again after all OBD systems were ready and it failed due to the program/tune.

They're super thorough here because I swear that smog tech took a good while doing the visual check going into every nook and cranny with a flashlight and several mirrors. He even spent like 10 minutes looking for stickers under my hood and asked me about them, but I told them it was a painted aftermarket carbon fiber hood and he gave me shit about that too.

Either way, I passed the visual and the OBD test. My program/tune was the stock one off of bimmerlabs and I used expert mode.
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #54
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
Is the Bimmerworld Stage 2 a plug and play option (i.e. they send an entirely new DME ready to install)? Is there such a thing? If not, can you get a used DME, flash it to your car, and then flash it with a tune in order to be able to reinstall the OE DME to put everything back to stock? I'd like to be able to squeeze out a little more performance but not have to worry about not passing smog checks and Bimmerworld is the only one I can find that offers a tune specifically for the N51. I was hoping to find something here about that, but either I'm terrible at search or there's nothing that exactly fits what I'm looking for.

My latest E9x is a 2011 328i E93 SULEV (aka N51).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #55
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

you can't just plug any random DME into your car. It will fail to start because the EWS code will not match.
Appreciate 1
MadJoe44.50
      11-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #56
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
Quote:
you can't just plug any random DME into your car. It will fail to start because the EWS code will not match.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is the quickest/easiest way to have a mild tune for weekend track sessions that's fully reversible for on-street daily driving.

Is this something I should I make an entirely new thread to ask for advice on, or is there somewhere it's already been beaten to death that my awful search skills are unable to find?

Thanks again in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #57
E90_slides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i 6MT

Quote:
You can download the stock files from Bimmerlabs. You need to flash the stock program as well as the stock tune. All aftermarket flashes also modify the program (to bypass the RSA check) which will cause an invalid checksum/CVN match.

You can also flash with WinKFP in comfort mode. I recommend that because it will update the UIF with the right entry for that calibration.

Have you done the bimmerlabs 330i tune yourself? I have all the software from them and tried to flash my old car but something went wrong and I almost bricked my dme. Had to sell it to a guy that knew how to fix it. The shop wanted 2k to fix so I decided to just sell it. I use the bimmerlabs tools like inpa and ncs winkfp etc and I have ista + so im kinda familiar with diag but coding i still don’t know wtf im doing. Im scared of messing something up again. I thought I followed every step precisely but either my charger wasn’t strong enough, or I didn’t have everything set up right. Looking to do this to my new car, or just get a turner ms tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:35 PM   #58
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I made it, so, yes.

most likely it was a cable issue. In the last few years, it seems like most of the cables are not any good (even from reputable brands). I have several cables and like 4 of them don't work for flashing - some of them used to work fine, but stopped randomly. Your DME wasn't really bricked, but was in safe mode - it would still be possible to re-flash it but not without fixing the root cause of the issue.
Appreciate 1
ptpending456.00
      05-27-2022, 06:01 PM   #59
schwing
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 SGM 330i

Just to add: I flashed stock 330i program, drove around for a few days and passed CA smog test today. Flashed with WinKFP in Expert mode (batch) with 330i stock program downloaded from Bimmerlabs. I had to flash a few times as I kept getting failure errors even with BimmerGeeks cable. Note, connect a battery charger to car as flash took 20-30 minutes. I plan to re-flash to Bimmerlabs custom tune.

2006 330i with Bimmerlabs custom tune for 3SIM, noMAF and MILVS
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2023, 01:42 AM   #60
roblese90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 bmw 328i  [0.00]
So is stock 330i tune from bimmerlabs passing California smog tests?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 12:37 AM   #61
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblese90 View Post
So is stock 330i tune from bimmerlabs passing California smog tests?
sounds like it. I also have a 328i now flashed to 330i. There is a "pass or don't pay" smog check place in town, when my time is up I'll test there, if it passes great, if not no worry, I'll head over to the parking lot, fire up my laptop and flash it back to a 328i and retake the test. I actually think it would be cool to get refered to an official CA Smog referee, my car is entirely stock so it would be cool just to go through the process.

If you were to tell me California actually GETS IT and doesn't penalize people running a FACTORY STOCK OFFICIAL BMW 330i "tune" on an N52 engine was designed for it would be the first props I'd give the state since the mid-90's when the state started going downhill. Finally some common sense in Sacramento
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #62
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
sounds like it. I also have a 328i now flashed to 330i. There is a "pass or don't pay" smog check place in town, when my time is up I'll test there, if it passes great, if not no worry, I'll head over to the parking lot, fire up my laptop and flash it back to a 328i and retake the test. I actually think it would be cool to get refered to an official CA Smog referee, my car is entirely stock so it would be cool just to go through the process.

If you were to tell me California actually GETS IT and doesn't penalize people running a FACTORY STOCK OFFICIAL BMW 330i "tune" on an N52 engine was designed for it would be the first props I'd give the state since the mid-90's when the state started going downhill. Finally some common sense in Sacramento
No Sacramento did nothing right nor did they show common sense. It just means they did not check the CNV number reported via ODB against the CVN database provided by BMW.

Even though the tune is 99.999999% BMW, the one byte changed in the calibration file requires a different CRC32 checksum for the processor to run. CRC32 It's an internal data validation/memory failure check.

Unfortunately that CRC32 bit checksum is the CVN number. If they check, it will appear as a modified program.

The Bimmerlabs tools do not conceal the modified tune. Pretty sure it can be done but probably very illegal to distribute. Expect jail time.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      03-03-2024, 05:07 AM   #63
Sik328i
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct128i View Post
A couple of years ago I installed a 3 SIM on my 2011 328i and, in order to fully exploit the manifold upgrade, I sent my DME to Turner Motorsports who installed a tune. The results were very pleasing and well worth the effort and cost.

In July 2021, the CA smog test was revised and now includes a check to ensure that the OEM or CARB approved DME software is present. I contacted Turner who advised that their performance tune is not CARB approved and I therefore presume my car will fail its next Smog test (due next month).

More info on the new CA smog test requirement is here: https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/41...tune-flash-faq

I see that Bimmerlabs has a "Stock 330i Tune" - does anyone know if this will allow my car to pass the new CA Smog test? I tried contacting Bimmerlabs via their website but haven't heard anything. Since the E90 330i is an OEM application using the 3 SIM this may work, or this may be a problem since the software CAL ID won't match with the 2011 328i vehicle. The article also explains that the CVN changes when software modifications are made so this might also flag a problem.

I'm open to any suggestions (although not looking to move to a different state LOL) and, since I'm a little apprehensive regarding reprogramming would be interested to know if there is a plug and play device that would allow me to load CARB compliant software on my 2011 328i. (I also have an N55 powered vehicle which uses the Cobb Accessport and this device should allow me to avoid any Smog test issues on that car).

Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated - especially anyone in CA who has faced this issue recently.

Thanks in hopes of some good advice!
I just passed CA. Smog on Feb. 29th, 2024 for my 2009 328i e92 n52 with 3sim and Bimmerlabs 328i/330i flash with no problem at all.
Appreciate 2
mct128i74.50
Thumbie95.50
      03-03-2024, 06:40 PM   #64
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik328i View Post
I just passed CA. Smog on Feb. 29th, 2024 for my 2009 328i e92 n52 with 3sim and Bimmerlabs 328i/330i flash with no problem at all.
Congrats!

Just to be clear, you had the 330i tune loaded onto the car when it passed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:19 AM   #65
accordfreak
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattanderson View Post
Congrats!

Just to be clear, you had the 330i tune loaded onto the car when it passed?

Thanks!
I'm wondering the same.

Sik328i did you use the stock oem 330i tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:03 PM   #66
Rsipad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Hi all. I've been looking at this thread as I did the 3SIM mod on my Z4 3.0i N52 to make it have the same power as the 3.0si N52 (same as 328i -> 330i mod just for the Z4) and was also scared about smog testing. I used the oem 3.0si file from Bimmerlabs and passed smog today. Did not have to revert back to the factory 3.0i tune.
Appreciate 3