E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N46 video: please help me diagnose

03-23-2024, 03:26 PM   #1
edbbmw
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Question N46 video: please help me diagnose

https://vimeo.com/926667922?share=copy

Car ran perfectly, then didn’t start at all next day.

Took it to a shop who replaced a broken rocker arm, replaced fuel pump and redid the timing of the distribution chain. So should not be a timing issue. Shop managed to get it running but poorly, said they don’t know at this point and that it may need an engine swap.

Took the car home to try some stuff ourselves. Checked the compression, all cylinders 12-13 bar so seems fine. I read some talk on faulty MAF sensor causing issues, so plugged that one out but still ran the same.

Connected to laptop and get some cylinder misfire codes on cyl1/2 (p0300, p0301, p0302) and it does sound like 1 or more cylinders are not firing (car shakes too). But sparkplugs and coils are good.

Most recent work (within last couple years) on the car was new injectors when one or more failed and it stranded us. Now wondering if they didn’t replace all of them with new ones and this is the next ones failing? Other suggestion by someone was that we should check the camshaft sensor, ordered one of those.

What does this look/sound like to you guys? What do I try next…

Last edited by edbbmw; 03-23-2024 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Video wasn't working
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 03:24 AM   #2
Psalm_Kuru
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E91

Check if the ignition coils are properly secure they may look attached but sometimes they ain't, the other day I went to start my car after I had done some maintenance and it did the same thing worth a try may not be the fault though? Even the ground cable next to the coils/sparkplugs may have been forgotten to tighten back on?
Appreciate 0