E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front lower control arm bushing sold seperate?

02-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
eltrapo67
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Thumbs up Front lower control arm bushing sold seperate?

I looked everywhere for more info on this but i could only find one site with a replacement bushing for the lower control arm. Not talking about the tension strut. This is the part number for the lower control arm I'm talking about 31126768989 and here is the site that shows a replacement bushing

http://febestparts.com/ARM_BUSHING_F..._ROD/BMAB-049Z

they refer the bushing to this part number BMAB-049Z but oem cross reference is 31126768989

Has anybody just replaced the bushing itself? I'm just being cheap and don't want to replace the entire arm and I don't believe I really need to there is a little bit of play in the bushing but it doesn't look cracked.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

The bushing IS available separately but look at it from this point of view:

The ball joint on the other end of the wishbone arm is not replaceable. When that ball joint fails, you will need to replace the arm WITH the new bushing you had pressed in.

If you replace the arm, that comes with a new bushing and ball joint, you do not need to worry about replacing the ball joint in the near future.

Also consider the time it takes for arm replacement versus bushing replacement. Arm replacement requires about 30 minutes of time and you just need to un bolt 2 location to swap the arm.

To replace the bushing, the arm is typically removed from the car, put in a bench press, and the old bushing removed/new one installed. I would charge an hours labor for this.

In general, the cost of replacing the arm is often cheaper than replacing just the bushing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

While I do generally agree...I'd be looking for an aftermarket, stiffer bushings vs. just an OE control arm.

Do those ball joints wear out regularly?

Also, doing the bushing replacement on the car with a bearing puller/threaded rod type setup with an impact gun vs. a press is much quicker, albeit not as fast as swapping in the new arm.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #4
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Also, doing the bushing replacement on the car with a bearing puller/threaded rod type setup with an impact gun vs. a press is much quicker, albeit not as fast as swapping in the new arm.
In this case it may be faster than swapping the new arm. The ball joint side's nut is positioned right under the outer CV joint. It would be very difficult if not impossible, unless you have some special thin walled but strong wrench, to disconnect that nut without removing the axle.

Good find
Appreciate 0