E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

06-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #133
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I am also trying to put together a full list of everything I need before I dive into the 3SIM upgrade.
Sounds like everyone says to get a new PCV crankcase breather hose as it's guaranteed to break.

I need to get a new PS reservoir too and I am contemplating replacing the starter while in there.
I don't want the list to grow unnecessarily, but anything else to replace while I have the manifold off? I don't want to be pulling it again anytime soon.
I've got two good PCV crankcase breather hoses - one new and one used but good. When I did my 3IM last year, I made sure to have a new one on hand but the one already on my car didn't break and the one that came with the new manifold is good, too. I reused my original and planned to return the new one but never got around to it. I could make you a good deal on it.

K9Leader
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #134
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

replace the plastic one with rubber for increased serviceability.

3/4 hydraulic hose will slip right over the quick connect fittings once you cut the plastic corrugated hose free.

that's what i did.
now when I need to do manifold things I don't worry about the hose breaking, and I can dosconnect it and shove it out of the way.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #135
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
I've got two good PCV crankcase breather hoses - one new and one used but good. When I did my 3IM last year, I made sure to have a new one on hand but the one already on my car didn't break and the one that came with the new manifold is good, too. I reused my original and planned to return the new one but never got around to it. I could make you a good deal on it.

K9Leader
Thank you. I'll be in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post

3/4 hydraulic hose will slip right over the quick connect fittings once you cut the plastic corrugated hose free.

that's what i did.
now when I need to do manifold things I don't worry about the hose breaking, and I can dosconnect it and shove it out of the way.
Good idea!
Did you replace the tubing in the foam sleeve or all the plastic tubing pieces? I see that there is a T fitting and an elbow, so 4 sections of tubing correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #136
eljay
Colonel
Rep

And here is the state of my power steering lines besides the leaking reservoir:

I should probably clean it off and monitor that connection, but reservoir needs to be replaced, so I might as well get this hose done too. It's pricey though!
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...se-32416796690
And the connections on the lines going to the PS cooler look oily a bit too.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #137
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I'll be in touch.

Good idea!
Did you replace the tubing in the foam sleeve or all the plastic tubing pieces? I see that there is a T fitting and an elbow, so 4 sections of tubing correct?
my manifold only had 1 pcv port.

but if you cut the plstic corrugation off you'll find that they're just hose barbds underneath. get a tee fitting and make that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #138
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:

that's what i did.
Not to hijack, but did you take a picture of yours before install? Did you use any clamps on the hose either? Seems like a worthwhile substitute.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #139
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
my manifold only had 1 pcv port.

but if you cut the plstic corrugation off you'll find that they're just hose barbds underneath. get a tee fitting and make that.
Ah, silly me, yes it's been a while since I've read a 3SIM upgrade thread and looked at my manifold.
Time to take it out of the box, clean it and check out the connections and test the DISAs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #140
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
Not to hijack, but did you take a picture of yours before install? Did you use any clamps on the hose either? Seems like a worthwhile substitute.
I think it got some zip ties.
It's a vaccum hose not a pressure hose.

but for serious, if you cut the heat shrink and corugated plastic hose free from the quick disconnects you'll find that they're just 19mm barbed connectors.

3/4 hose slips over them perfectly. just make sure you use something that won't collapse under the vaccum.
Which is why I suggest ydraulic hose.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #141
Ray Oliver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Nice to see a somewhat local E91 owner on here (I'm in NB). Just bought an '11 E91 myself. Kind of jealous of your colour combo (mine's black on black).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #142
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Oliver View Post
Nice to see a somewhat local E91 owner on here (I'm in NB). Just bought an '11 E91 myself. Kind of jealous of your colour combo (mine's black on black).
Congrats on getting an E91!
Mine actually came from Moncton.

Just saw your pics in the E91 thread. You'll love it.
Where did you find yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:37 AM   #143
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK guys, I tried the INPA bleeding and apparently failed miserably.

I started a post here in the Brakes section:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726936

Help please!
I am happy to report that after many trials and tribulations, I have my brake pedal feel back!!

I will write-up a detailed step by step, but in summary: don't use INPA to bleed DSC on xdrive cars! Use ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #144
Ray Oliver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Quote:
Congrats on getting an E91!
Mine actually came from Moncton.

Just saw your pics in the E91 thread. You'll love it.
Where did you find yours?
It was in the Ottawa area. I've wanted a manual sport package E91 for forever but it's obviously a rare combination. Was looking for them six years ago and ended up leasing a new GTI instead, followed by a Clubman John Cooper Works.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #145
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Oliver View Post
It was in the Ottawa area. I've wanted a manual sport package E91 for forever but it's obviously a rare combination. Was looking for them six years ago and ended up leasing a new GTI instead, followed by a Clubman John Cooper Works.
Well, those cars were a worthy detours! I love the GTI and JCW Mini! Never drove the new ones, sadly. I had a 20th Anniversary GTI back in 2003 and loved it. MK7 is a great platform.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #146
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Back on my suspension refresh topic...
So, I am still thinking hard about getting ST Coilovers, but I'm worried about rust and reading this does not make me feel any better:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...y-ST-Coilovers

As you can by the state of brakes, I'm quite sure the coilovers will look like that.
I know people will say to coat them, but that's extra work and expense to "hope it will work".
I am happy to apply anti-seize and grease the threads before every winter. I may even spray clear coat onto the body to save it. But it sounds like it's only a matter of time.

Also, reading about the struts needing to be rebuild periodically. So, am I wrong to expect a set of coilover shocks to last the same as a normal shock? A typicall shock/struts lasts around 100k miles. Is that not the experience with coilover systems? I've never had a set, so have no experience.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #147
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

I just went outside and took that.
this is after one winter. nothing but automatic car washes until the spring. no preventative coating or anything applied. I'm pretty sure I recall the instructions saying specifically to not apply grease to the threads.

I'm not really worried about it. not any more so than any other replacement strut. probably less since most rusty strut failures here are the spring perches folding.

I'm probably going to drop the front end another 10mm.

If I were super duper concerned about corrosion I would do something lanolin based like fluid film.

for reference I live in northern ohio. one of the top three road salt using states by tonnage. We mine it under lake erie, and we really only use it in the northern half of the state.

5 year old cars have rotten fenders here if you don't wash your shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #148
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I just went outside and took that.
this is after one winter. nothing but automatic car washes until the spring. no preventative coating or anything applied. I'm pretty sure I recall the instructions saying specifically to not apply grease to the threads.

I'm not really worried about it. not any more so than any other replacement strut. probably less since most rusty strut failures here are the spring perches folding.

I'm probably going to drop the front end another 10mm.

If I were super duper concerned about corrosion I would do something lanolin based like fluid film.

for reference I live in northern ohio. one of the top three road salt using states by tonnage. We mine it under lake erie, and we really only use it in the northern half of the state.

5 year old cars have rotten fenders here if you don't wash your shit.
That's encouraging to see. Thanks.
I'd still apply at least fluidfilm, but may just spray clear coat on the body if I ended getting a set.

I can see why they say to not put anything on the threads. Grease attracts dirt and then you have a caked on pile of dirt that you need to clean off well before using the adjustment. But no rust. The solution is to move to Texas. haha
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:36 AM   #149
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Boeshield T9 is probably one of the better things you could apply to the threads
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #150
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
If you are worried about rust/corrosion with the ST Coilovers, then I suggest paying a bit extra and get KW Coilovers. Might be worth it in the long run.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #151
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
If you are worried about rust/corrosion with the ST Coilovers, then I suggest paying a bit extra and get KW Coilovers. Might be worth it in the long run.
I'd love to get KWs, but that's at least US$600 more.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #152
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My power steering reservoir is leaking, so I need to replace that. During another inspection, I got a note that the high-pressure PS line is "sweating". Is that just from the leaky reservoir or are those known to go? That is, should I replace it as well?

During the brake upgrade, I noticed that suspension refresh is needed. No leaks, but rear shocks show some rust bubbles.
The previous owner replaced rear passenger shock and I replaced front thrust arms a couple of years ago. The rest seems to be original and I'm at 86k miles and coming on 12 years.

With that, I'm starting to investigate the best suspension option for me. Paging tlow98 .
Objectives:
- upgrade the suspension to factory Sport package spec.
- lowering: not needed, but tiny little bit would be welcome (0.5" max) - does Sport suspension provide that kind of a lowering drop?
- ride firmness: street, family car, so slightly firmer than non-sport, but smooth ride preferred.

With the above, my research led me to Bilstein B4 Sport shocks:
Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14611 and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14612
Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14609

Now, what options do I have for Sport springs for E91 xDrive? Were there factory sport springs I should try to locate? Is there another combo that would work for an xDrive wagon?

I will also start making a list of bushings etc. to update.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm no expert, but E91 suspension setup looks miles simpler than the 8-arm front setup on my B6 Audi!
A suggestion.

ST coil overs. They are specifically for an x drive e91. it rides like stock, but better. chopped up county roads at speed aren't a problem.
that's what I did and I'm quite happy.

think of it as a adjustable strut. uses the factory strut tops so remains nice.

this is as low as it can go and still be within alignment specs. which is actually exactly the distance that ST says is the lowest TUV approved height.
instructions were nice.
Do you have any side shots? And any chance you have pictures at max height (only 0.6" drop)?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #153
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

best I have. I won't have the car for a few days cause I'm hauling firewood in a truck this weekend.
this was the day of install, but with my 4x4 sized winter tires.

I don't have any at max height. This is the lowest TUV approved height from the manual and the alignment guy said it barely made it to the front camber spec.
I haven't touched it since I set it up the first time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #154
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess I had this one from the other day

Appreciate 0