E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Weird steering issue

01-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Weird steering issue

Recently noticed that sometimes when going round a corner, the steering briefly jolts slightly sometimes - seems to only be recently so I wonder if its to do with the cold roads?

I have 19" wheels with 235/35/19 PS2 non-runflats

Any ideas?
      01-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Strange, are you on full lock when it happens?! Mine has a strange querk usually when I'm reversing off my drive, I tend to have the car on full lock and as I'm reversing slowly backwards a few times I've felt it jolt and turn about an extra 1cm?! I put this down to my car's grip going over the manhole covers on my drive and haven't thought anything of it... Haven't really had the car in a hot summer to see if it's a winter thing though?
PS - I have the bmw 19" wheels & run flats

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
tinka
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0d M SPORT

Ive had this with mine,and its been in 4 times with no real cure.

If i turn one way then quickly the other way it makes a knocking noise, like its taking up slack or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLSEN View Post
Strange, are you on full lock when it happens?! Mine has a strange querk usually when I'm reversing off my drive, I tend to have the car on full lock and as I'm reversing slowly backwards a few times I've felt it jolt and turn about an extra 1cm?! I put this down to my car's grip going over the manhole covers on my drive and haven't thought anything of it... Haven't really had the car in a hot summer to see if it's a winter thing though?
PS - I have the bmw 19" wheels & run flats
No its just normal cornering - but I do also have the same issue as you when reversing and turning - feels very similar to that as well.