E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Retrofitting FLA (High Beam Assistant) DIY

12-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #89
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianMoller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
NFRM is how the FRM appears in the software.
OK, i see.
Why do i see NFRM FRM and CAS?
Sorry for the stupid Qs.

/C
Dunno I also see both FRM and NFRM.

Remember that you must also default code CIC too.

Once you do this and cycle car power you should see the FLA module appear in the list.

If it doesn't appear check your CANBUS wiring. FLA communicates with the upstream module over canbus.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #90
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e91 325 touring

I see this in the ASW files, does it make sense?
Down the bottom

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #91
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
I see this in the ASW files, does it make sense?
Down the bottom
[img]https://www.forumbilder.com/images/2019/12/15/fla.png[/img]

[img]https://www.forumbilder.com/images/2019/12/15/work.png[/img]
Make sure the software can talk to the FLA to retrieve coding.

You should be able to pull the .trc file for the FLA.

You should see parameters about color sensitivity etc.

If you do everything is communicating and you are down to enabling via coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #92
ChristianMoller
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e91 325 touring

SUCCSESS
It was due to a shitty operator that didn't made a reset to CAS and NFRM just VO change....
I drove it 30 kilometers and it works good.
Thanks' everyone and have a merry christmas and a happy new year

/C

BTW When i Read a file, lets say CIC does it appear in the FSW_PSW?
If i open that file can i change values and then close and process ECU?

Last edited by ChristianMoller; 12-16-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #93
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
SUCCSESS
It was due to a shitty operator that didn't made a reset to CAS and NFRM just VO change....
I drove it 30 kilometers and it works good.
Thanks' everyone and have a merry christmas and a happy new year

/C

BTW When i Read a file, lets say CIC does it appear in the FSW_PSW?
If i open that file can i change values and then close and process ECU?
The .TRC (Trace?) files contain all of the coding options for the module that you created the file from.

If I recall correctly the "FSW_PSW.trc" file name is merely the default name used. I previously dumped my FLA module's coding as "FSW_PSW_FLA.TRC" earlier in this thread.

You can modify those values and write the file back to the module to change how it behaves.

The list of modules is completely different.

If you look at this post: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=8

... you see how the modules appear on the screen in the software.

Anyways CONGRATS!

I mentioned previously that if you got this far you should also remove the "Disable" code for your headlamps, if you have it, to enable more movement. This works wonderfully with the FLA.

"• While you are coding, remove the “8S4 – Decoding Variable Light Distribution” and enable it via coding of the FRM. This makes FLA/HBA work even better."
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #94
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hey guys, so I successfully installed the FLA to my 2011 335d and it works pretty well. The thing that's bothering me is that there's no indicator on the gauge cluster when it's enabled and it only enables around 20 MPH. Other than 20MPH the FLA will not enable. Anyone have any ideas?

I used Protools to code mine in so it was either an Enabled or Disabled option, no complicated $ things.

The options available are as follows:

FL_ASSIST_ENABLE - enabled
FL_ASSIST_FUNKTIONS_ANZ - enabled
FL_ASSIST_ZUST_22_32 - enabled - This can't mean 22 and 32 MPH because these cars are euro right??
FL_ASSIST_CC_NOT_AKTIV - enabled

Last edited by e90Noobie; 01-01-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #95
opjose
Major
Rep

You must change the VO and write it to the modules, then default code Kombi to get the Dashboard display and also the control menu.

Likewise you must default code the CIC to get the options to appear there too, again after updating the VO.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #96
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You must change the VO and write it to the modules, then default code Kombi to get the Dashboard display and also the control menu.

Likewise you must default code the CIC to get the options to appear there too, again after updating the VO.
I believe all coding has been completed.

"Problem: above is working but: auto high beam doesn't show in cluster
Reason: These ECUs must be reset: CAS, NFRM, KOMBI, FLA"

I think this may be my remaining task. I hope..

If that doesn't do it then I will try going into CIC/Entertainment and Kombi and code the display options(if available).

Last edited by e90Noobie; 01-03-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #97
opjose
Major
Rep

When I did mine I also did not get the display on the instrument panel.

I do not think I had to change anything in the kombi configuration.

I do remember going back and making sure the VO was the same in the modules the default coding the kombi and CIC again. After that it worked and I also had the options via the stalk and in CIC.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #98
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When I did mine I also did not get the display on the instrument panel.

I do not think I had to change anything in the kombi configuration.

I do remember going back and making sure the VO was the same in the modules the default coding the kombi and CIC again. After that it worked and I also had the options via the stalk and in CIC.
When you say VO(Vehicle Order) I am still a bit confused on what that is as I'm not using the laptop method to code my car. Also, when you say default coding do you mean resetting?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #99
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I was able to get High beam assistant to appear in the idrive lighting menu so now FLA works every time at any speed. I still cannot get the icon to appear in the gauge cluster. I have tried resetting all of the control units listed in the troubleshooting steps except for CAS because it says it "cannot complete the operation make sure the ignition is on". I have reset KOMBI, FRM, and FLA. I have default coded CAS, FRM, KOMBI, and FLA. The icon still does not appear on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #100
opjose
Major
Rep

The vehicle order VO tells the car what hardware it has installed.

Changing it to reflect the new FLA is a necessary step.

You may need to use PC tools to change it.

In my old posts I did mention changing something in the Kombi coding to enable the FLA display... it has been several years since I did this so I forgot about that.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #101
supercyprien
Rep
Drives: 530xd G31, Mini R56, BMW bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPavel883 View Post
I managed to install the FLA option on an E90 2006 year (NFL), with halogen headligts. I upgraded my frm module from frm1 (NFRM) to frm3 led basis. To install this module is very easy, just purchase a frm3 module and replace the frm1 existing one in the car. If you have frm2 or frm3 already on your car, this step is not necessary. I also replaced my halogen nfl headlights with lci halogen headlights (mostly for the angel eyes installed on the lci halogen headlights) but this is not a necessary condition to make the FLA work. The nfl headlights will work to because the only difference (beside the looks) between the nfl and the lci halogen lights are the angel eyes. The low and the high beam are the same in both headlights versions. I installed the FLA interior mirror, according to the tutorial described above, coded the car, and made these modifications in the FRM script:

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC nicht_aktiv

BI_XENON_BEI_LH aktiv

XENON_AL_VERBAUT aktiv

After that, the FLA works like a charm, switching on and off the high beam automatically.

So, if you have halogen lights, you need frm2 or frm3 to make the FLA option work on your car.
Hello !

I own a 318d E91 with halogen lights (and NFRM2 module). I have the notifications but the high beam doesn't switch on, as described in some posts .

I tried to code the modifications described here in the FRM. But... It doesn't work.

I mean, I use NCS Expert to code the FRM but after coding, when reading coding informations, it's like i did nothing : the parameters remains the same at they were before coding.

Note that this is not the 1st time that I do coding with NCS Expert.

This time I used an ICOM and EasyConnect to do the coding.

Any idea to help me ?

(Sorry for my poor English : I'm French)

Edit : Now it works. I try again this morning... I have to test FLA this night.

Last edited by supercyprien; 08-10-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:58 AM   #102
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 320xdA B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPavel883 View Post
I managed to install the FLA option on an E90 2006 year (NFL), with halogen headligts. I upgraded my frm module from frm1 (NFRM) to frm3 led basis. To install this module is very easy, just purchase a frm3 module and replace the frm1 existing one in the car. If you have frm2 or frm3 already on your car, this step is not necessary. I also replaced my halogen nfl headlights with lci halogen headlights (mostly for the angel eyes installed on the lci halogen headlights) but this is not a necessary condition to make the FLA work. The nfl headlights will work to because the only difference (beside the looks) between the nfl and the lci halogen lights are the angel eyes. The low and the high beam are the same in both headlights versions. I installed the FLA interior mirror, according to the tutorial described above, coded the car, and made these modifications in the FRM script:

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC nicht_aktiv

BI_XENON_BEI_LH aktiv

XENON_AL_VERBAUT aktiv

After that, the FLA works like a charm, switching on and off the high beam automatically.

So, if you have halogen lights, you need frm2 or frm3 to make the FLA option work on your car.
I can confirm, it is working.
E91 2006, Halogens, FLA_R (round camera), FRM2.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:07 AM   #103
garagedoor
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87

This forum post has helped me to enable FLA on an E87 (same base as E9x), but unfortunately there was more trouble and it didn’t work as described. So I’ve registered here to report on my progress in making it work!

These are the 4 parameter settings which eventually did the job:

FL_AUS_BEI_BIX_IN_S_FLC
nicht_aktiv

=> do not use halogen high beams when bixenons are present and the switch is set to automatic lights mode
= not active

BI_XENON_BEI_LH
nicht_aktiv

=> open the bixenon shutter (= the xenon “high beam”) instead of halogen high beams when pulling the high beam flash stalk
= not active

XENON_AL_VERBAUT
aktiv

=> bixenons present, use bixenon shutter control line for high beams
= active

PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_01

=> when bixenon is present, set the pulse width modulation of the classic high beam halogen lights
= wert_01 corresponds to maximum light level (or whatever BMW has defined as the normal level)

What basically happens here is that you trick the FRM into making it think it has the bixenons present (XENON_AL_VERBAUT) which is a requirement for the FLA to work, but the other properties make the halogen high beams power on in all cases “along” the bixenon high beam shutters (which the FRM thinks is what is happening, but in reality they're absent).

In my particular case, after much analysis I’ve discovered the default VO coding of PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON set the PWM level to 0% (wert_02, wert_03), so even with the other settings properly set, it still had 0% light output into the halogen high beams and it looked like nothing worked!

This property is set to 0% in the following cases if NCSDummy computed it correctly:
Cases 1 : (E90+!M3,E91)+((US,FLA)+!PU08,PU08,MUE_BEL_FRONT)+ XENONLICHT
Cases 2 : E92,E93,E90+M3,E8X+(XENONLICHT,FLA)+!TARN

Please note it is a bad idea to simply add the xenon option (S522A) to the VO if you don’t have xenons, as it will also configure lots of other check and height control settings in other ECUs, etc. which are only related to xenons. If you only modify the above parameters by putting them into FSW_PSW.MAN, it’s a very local logic modification to the FRM which won’t have any other impact. It's an equally bad idea to just change model year or add PU08 to your car when in reality it has a different build date if you haven't checked all consequences of this by checking each and every property change. For example, it may very well be that from one build year to the next BMW has fitted different airbags which require different ignition timings, which can be detected through model years in the VO or ZCS. In the older E38/39 series, I came across some cases like this. If you then code some wrong model year or production interruption (PU), you effectively put in the wrong airbag deployment settings, where it could ignite too late or too strong.

For the sake of completeness, I have coded this into a 12/2007 FRM2 with coding index 9 and ZUSB-NR 9166707 (latest/only release is also factory flash date according to AIF).

Happy coding!

Last edited by garagedoor; 10-14-2020 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 03:42 AM   #104
Takummie
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: E93 335i N55 DCT M Sport

I'm very Interest in this retrofit however I live in Japan and my mirror has an ETC card reader integrated in it for toll gates. I wonder if it is even a thing of a mirror with Japanese ETC reader+FLA+auto dim combined.
Or is it possible for me to get an foreign FLA mirror and take the FLA module (if it can be separated) out and forge it into my original mirror?
If you don't know what I am talking about, here is my VIN WBADX72000E241950. The VO for Japanese ETC mirror is 449.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #105
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Huge thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, specifically Jose_JN and opjose

I've had my E91/E70 for over 10 years and never thought that FLA was useful.
This was relevant as I was driving mostly in urban areas.
With Covid, my commute pattern changed and now includes rural mountain passes.
The high beam is a must to spot all crazy deer population that jump highway when you expected it less (reminds me Efthreeoh experience).
At the same time, I prefer to keep my both hands on the steering wheel and avoid operating high/low beam lever.

Just wanted to share my retrofit experience and some mishaps I ran into.

For E90/E91 the FLA mirror part number is 51169225980.
Base on my research, in US the only E9X donor was M3.

I got myself one mirror from E90 M3 (for my E90 335d) and another from E71 (for my E70 35d)

The wiring part list recommended by fatjoez was spot on.
Code:
1x BMW Rearview mirror EC/LED/GTO/compass/FLA 51169225980
1x BMW Set of covers mirror baseplate 51167161083	
4x BMW Bushing Contact - Genuine BMW 61130005197
2x BMW Pin-Contact (02 05mm) - Genuine BMW 61130005198
2x BMW Universal Socket Housing Uncoded (3 Pol) - Genuine BMW 61138377072
1x BMW Universal Pin Terminal Uncoded (3 Pol) - Genuine BMW 61136931929
It took me some time to pull FZD module out.
I endup removing front plastic cover around light section and using pull pick to lever metal clips.
The FZD then came out easily.

I ran into the snag attaching FLA mirror - end up with cracked windshield.
I have not put any more pressure removing/mounting mirror than one would use for normal adjustment.
It puzzled me for a day until replacement windshield arrived.
Turns out original mirror mount had failed before and it was re-glued to the windshield about 1/2in lower than designed.
As result, when mirror was replaced, its arm got pushed against rain sensor body and caused undesired tension that failed windshield.
I hope my windshield damage experience was somewhat unique.
Old glass was chipped all around, so new replacement was nice improvement.

Lastly I ran into minor mishaps with coding - In my case it was old daten only.

I am yet to try new setup in the sierras, but my short trip around the lake at night confirmed that $5AC/FLA is awesome

EDIT/Update 2022-04-02
The FLA/5AC retrofit is by far the most valuable (my) E90 investment.
It helps me keep both hands on a steering wheel in twisty mountain road at all times.

The accuracy and timing is impressive (for late 2000s tech).
I got a chance to compare it (automatic high beams) with Tesla's Model 3 - BMW E-series implementation is WAY better.

As noted above, this option is useless in urban areas or busy interstate and super powerful in rural area

Last edited by POBEP; 04-02-2022 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 01:49 AM   #106
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My E70 got this as well today (donor was 2014 E71)

Everything works as expected, except:
- iDrive is missing the toggle option: Perhaps an flag in CIC?
- Alarm LED does not work anymore: out of ideas

Last edited by POBEP; 10-24-2022 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #107
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
My E70 got this as well today (donor was 2014 E71)

Everything works as expected, except:
- iDrive is missing the toggle option: Perhaps an flag in CIC?
- Alarm LED does not work anymore: out of ideas
Did you change the VO and default code the modules after that including the CIC and Kombi?
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00
      11-02-2022, 08:37 PM   #108
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you change the VO and default code the modules after that including the CIC and Kombi?
opjose - thanks.

I updated VO (it got stored for sure)
I default coded FRM, CAS & KOMBI.

It was late - I am pretty sure CIC got missed
Also, alarm LED works - it came on few minutes later.

TL; DR - this is my second FLA retrofit, I'll do E91 next year.
      11-30-2022, 01:15 AM   #109
Crackerjack1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Going to give this a try. My mirror currently has homelink and the hidden compass. Is there a specific part number for a mirror that has these two features + FLA?

I see a couple on eBay but they're not using the actual item picture. Its been hard to confirm if it mirrors have homelink + compass

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:34 AM   #110
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack1000 View Post
Going to give this a try. My mirror currently has homelink and the hidden compass. Is there a specific part number for a mirror that has these two features + FLA?

I see a couple on eBay but they're not using the actual item picture. Its been hard to confirm if it mirrors have homelink + compass

Thanks!

P/N
51169225988 - E88/E89/E93 only
51169225980 - all other E9x, E7x, E82 & E84

- too many flebay sellers list non-FLA mirror as FLA
- pass on ones you can not confirm - there will be more next week/month
- look for ones that has camera on the picture and 2 connectors.
- ask seller for VIN number and check donor for 5AC
- favor higher end model donors: E90 M3, E71
- do not pay 3-digit price - you can get it below $100 (I got one this week for $69)

Last edited by POBEP; 11-30-2022 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0