E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Bimmertech Rear View Camera Review

09-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
cyborgx142
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thumbs up Bimmertech Rear View Camera Review

Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review, but I was asked by Bimmertech to submit one if I wanted.

About a year and a half ago, I went by a local installer to get a backup camera and front/rear sensors on my 2010 328i. I was given a fair quote and went ahead. I should have known the quote was too fair. The camera itself was passable: the resolution wasn't that great, but it worked. They only installed 2 sensors in the front, saying the other 2 couldn't fit. The sensors themselves were terrible and rarely worked, making noise constantly when put in reverse even when nothing was behind me.

I went to BimmerTech's website and purchased their rear-view camera, specifically the MMI one with dynamic parking lines: http://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

I also got a rear PDC which enables obstacle detection on the rear view camera, and a front camera (which is possible with the MMI kit and why I got that over an OEM integration one).

The parts arrived securely and were in great condition. I have very limited experience in DIY, luckily BimmerTech has a list of certified installers, and one was in my area. Unlike the installers who were responsible for the low quality parts and install, the BimmerTech certified installers (Unexpected Creations in Edison NJ) were professional, efficient and got the job done perfectly.

The quality of the MMI rear view camera is immensely better than my old one. It fits the iDrive screen and it is great during the day and night. The dynamic parking lines have been helpful as a new driver in helping me perfect my reversing skills by seeing my trajectory.

The PDC is OEM and lives up to the quality expected. The obstacle detection feature is interesting, and the sensors do not seem to go off on false positives.

The front camera is useful for parking and can be used both at day and at night. I think i like it better than front sensors as I can actually see what's in front.

Overall, BimmerTech was great to me, and it was a relief after my past experience with the local installer. From my initial research, they answered questions I had within hours and gave me resources to back up their information. The products themselves are high quality, and I highly recommend them for retrofits. They turned a person skeptical about retrofits after a bad experience into someone who trusts them once more.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Good to hear. My rear camera (OEM integration without PDC for E90) from BimmerTech arrives tomorrow. This is the second item I've purchased from them and I can attest to the quality of the parts they provide which has brought me back to them for another purchase.
      09-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Just finished installation of my rear view camera from Bimmer-Tech. Everything the OP said was dead on. Quality products and I really wouldn't go anywhere where else for an addition to my BMW like this. The only thing I would add is that the instructions weren't helpful and this is the second product I got from them where this was the case. I needed help each time but the quality of the products and support brought me back. They have good coders too. Their videos are their best instructions but their written instructions are my only complaint. Other than that I would buy from them again.
      09-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
roccy_miyagi
@Dat.Vermillion.E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017

I'm actually looking into doing this retrofit. I'm just kicking myself for not getting the pdc precut bumper or at least prepping it before it was painted
BMWCCA NJ

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
I would have liked PDC but I didn't want to deal with the bumper either.
      01-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
M3nic
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin01123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bin01123 View Post
Did anyone else buy ? They're overpriced seeing maybe if someone wants a group buy ?
Appreciate 0