E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 320i Engine Nightmare

02-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
pelkac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M Sport

E92 320i Engine Nightmare

Hi everyone, I would like to get everyone's thoughts on what has happened to my 320i.

Around a year or so ago (Oct 2017), the car reached 104,000 miles, so I decided the timing chain was due a change. I went to an indie who advised me they could do this within 3 days. Fast forward 2 weeks and many disagreements the car was finished which I thought was appalling. They even wanted me to pay them cash in hand to keep the car off their books. Following no re-compensation for the job taking so long I let it slide, paid the garage as was on my way.

Fast forward to late Nov 2018 and the car started acting up, approx 6,000 miles later. Running rough, misfiring, and the engine sounded like a diesel with a horrifying sound to it. At first I though this could've been injector/HPFP related. (I have ruled out the HPFP being an issue as usually first signs of a bad HPFP are long cranks however the car starts immediately with no issues)

After 2 visits to the BMW dealership who couldn't identify the issue with the car, the only thing they found was a broken wiring loom and suspected spiked ECU. After the diagnosis from BMW and an estimated £2,500 bill for only what they suspected was the issue I collected my car and was on the way. The day I picked up the car from BMW, the car had died 4 times on me on the 2 mile drive home. In order for the car not to stall I had to constantly keep the revs up otherwise the car would stall.

I have now replaced the following in the car to try and rectify the issue:

-Injector 1&4 (misfiring cylinders)
-4 Coils
-4 Spark Plugs
-Complete Wiring Loom
-ECU

All the above have been replaced by an independent garage (all work completed by a friend of mine and a trusted mechanic who always works on my S3), however, after all of those components have been replaced the car still has the same problems as before. Nothing has changed.

Now going back to the timing chain.

A couple of days ago I have been to visit the garage where the car is at and whilst we were discussing the options for what we can do my mechanic took a look down the oil filler hole to find this:

Name:  rsz_img-0351.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  402.0 KB

We inspected this and my mechanic gently tapped the screw with a screw driver to see how tight it was holding on. It was full of play and looks like it is almost ready to fall out. Now what only comes to my mind is that the timing chain has been rushed and put on incorrectly to deteriorate/stretch over the year of driving.

I never suspected the timing chain to be an issue as the car has only covered 6,000 miles since it has been replaced, however, after seeing a screw which is half hanging out down the oil filler hole I am starting to think that this is the issue and I dread to think what damage could have been done inside the engine if indeed the timing chain had been fitted incorrectly.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Looks like they haven't tightened the bolts properly. I'd be removing the rocker cover and checking for any damage, then checking the valve timing which will be out im guessing.
Appreciate 0