E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 M3 replica bumper bolts and brackets question/help

10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
E91_86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Touring (E91) TiAg

E90 M3 replica bumper bolts and brackets question/help

I just recieved my new M3 replica bumper and I am about to install it. The kit came with a bag of brackets and bolts but it did not include any directions or locations of where things go. I've already asked a few people who have installed this bumper on their e90 but no one seems to have any knowledge about installation for me. They have all said that they're just extra bolts and/or they did not end up using them. Seems to me that things like that are included for a reason, but I cannot figure out where they would go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Side note: I have already used the 4 smaller screws (not pictured) to attach the lower grills to the bumper.
https://flic.kr/p/2hrK5EW

Last edited by E91_86; 10-07-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I would start with installing fog lights and grills on the new bumper. Back when I installed an MTechII bumper on my E46, I followed the following procedure. Pull the two T50 bolts and pull off the old bumper from the aluminum bar. You may need to mount the bar onto the new bumper with plastic rivets, a kit can be found at most large hardware stores. Once you have everything secured, install the bumper and bolt it at the wheel wells and belly pan.
      10-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
E91_86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Touring (E91) TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I would start with installing fog lights and grills on the new bumper. Back when I installed an MTechII bumper on my E46, I followed the following procedure. Pull the two T50 bolts and pull off the old bumper from the aluminum bar. You may need to mount the bar onto the new bumper with plastic rivets, a kit can be found at most large hardware stores. Once you have everything secured, install the bumper and bolt it at the wheel wells and belly pan.
Thanks for the advice. I had planned on doing just that and mounting the fogs first before putting the bumper on (and still do), but none of the bolts included will work for that. I asked someone who intalled theirs a long time ago and I was told to reuse the hardware from my existing fogs for mounting the new ones to the M3 bumper. Thought that was odd, and it also means that none of the bolts/brackets that came with the kit are for mounting the new fogs.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
spudulike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (2006)

Looks like the same kit that came with my M3 Rep bumper. I still have no idea what any of those pieces were for

If you've got an MSport bumper already then your fogs will mount straight in using the same screws.

Top tip: you'll need to remove the brake air ducts (they just unscrew)

Last edited by spudulike; 10-16-2019 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Added stuff
Appreciate 0