E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Differential and TCase breathers

09-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
VXEric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi 6MT

Differential and TCase breathers

When Ida rolled through Philly I got caught out with all the flooding and ended up having to drive through a few areas with water 4-8 inches deep. I was able to keep moving at a constant speed the whole time so I didn't have any issues but now I'm wondering how well protected our differentials and TCase are from something like that?

Should I consider flushing them all? They were done maybe 30k miles ago so I'd rather not if I don't have to but if water may have gotten in I would want to get it out.

Anyone experienced this or know how high up the diff breathers are?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Not sure about breather height. But rather than try to figure it out, I would just change the fluids if it were me. No flushing, just drain & replace, unless you see evidence of water.

While you're at it, make sure that none of your CV rubber boots are cracked. Water coming into a cracked boot would be an easy and fast way to contaminate them, and they won't run long after that.
Appreciate 1
VXEric28.00
      09-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

From a breather perspective you're probably fine. The transmission and transfer case breathers are on top, so at least 18" off the ground.

The differential has a tiny little pinhole in the cover. Even if it was submerged for a moment it likely only sucked in a few drops, which will be evaporated off over the course of a long drive.
      09-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
VXEric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi 6MT

I ended up draining the rear diff because I had the oil for it on hand and it was the only thing not really protected by a plastic shield. What came out looked normal so I think I'm OK.

I hadn't thought of the CV boots, so thanks for that tip, they looked good too.

I did get quite a bit of water splashed up into the engine bay and ended up getting water in the connector for the boost pressure sensor which caused me some issues. Cleaned that up and she's as good as new.
Appreciate 0