E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to Troubleshoot (Fix) Rear Window / Parcel Shelf creak

07-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seatbelt covers in E92?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
bmwbadboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
1989 325i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX S3 View Post
I tơok it to the dealer 3x and they told me unable to find anything!!! those fucking lazy ass techs.

thanks, I thought it was just me.
Yep they are lazy and deaf too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #25
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissedcustomer View Post
Has anyone else dealt with this clicking noise in the back of their 3-series bmw - sounds like it's coming from the back window where it meets the rear parcel shelf?
Read the thread, this is what this thread is about
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Is anyone having trouble removing the torque screws for the child seat anchor things? Mine are tightened down so much....I've broken my rachet trying to get it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
rag133
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 335i XDrive

Jam some 1/4 inch vacuum tubing into the crease between the rear deck and the window. Use a flat head screwdriver to really get it down there. So far after 2 days NO RATTLE at all, and it cost me $1.24 for the 4 feet of tubing.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the rear seatbelt covers in E92?
im stuck here too. I tried to do it this weekend and it seems as if the selt belt holder will have to be removed for the shelf to come out. I took a look at the e90 and it has a different back seat than the e92.

Has anyone does this on a e92 that can provide instructions on what needs to be removed and how? each time I search it points me back to this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 550i M Sport

Did this this past weekend and the result is dead silent!

Since my local hardware store didn't have any felt tape, I ended up getting sticky velcro and used the "softer" side, obviously. Worked like a charm! Also used some window sealing foam.

I used the felt velcro along the rear vent (don't forget the sides!), and the adhesive foam wherever I felt a need. Upon disassembling the rear deck, I noticed a lot of noise coming from the overhead liner where the 3rd brake light is. I took that out, and foamed as much as I could there as well. No more squeak, rattle coming from that!

Minor adjustment from the OP - I have a 2011 LCI e90, and the childseat locks are quite different. You cannot "flip" them up to reveal the torx screw (T40). I had to put my arm underneath the rear panel and push the clips off from underneath.

Very simple DIY - definitely worth doing yourself if you have the time and do not like the idea of having the dealer fiddling around, prying off panels, with potential to break something

EDIT: And for those with the Rear Sun Shade option - there are 3 additional screws located in the trunk (underside of rear deck lid). Left, Middle, and Right. Remove those as well. Easy to spot.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Is anyone having trouble removing the torque screws for the child seat anchor things? Mine are tightened down so much....I've broken my rachet trying to get it off.
Anyone have advise for this?

My torx screws are like siezed.....can't break them loose.

And my sub makes the rattling really bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have advise for this?

My torx screws are like siezed.....can't break them loose.

And my sub makes the rattling really bad.
Interesting, mine took a bit of force, but nothing that was excessive. I actually didnt even use a long handle ratchet. Used a T40 bit, with an angle'ed small ratchet, and that was able to get it out just fine.

Perhaps try loosening the threads by applying some WD-40 VERY carefully?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdang81 View Post
Interesting, mine took a bit of force, but nothing that was excessive. I actually didnt even use a long handle ratchet. Used a T40 bit, with an angle'ed small ratchet, and that was able to get it out just fine.

Perhaps try loosening the threads by applying some WD-40 VERY carefully?
Yea I was thinking about spraying some pb blaster but I don't want to mess up the cloth. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea I was thinking about spraying some pb blaster but I don't want to mess up the cloth. Thanks.
Cool. PB Blaster has that smell that might take awhile to dissipate.

A suggestion, instead of spraying directly into the bolt cavity, spray some PB Blaster in a separate container, and then slowly pour it into the cavity (small amounts). This will eliminate the potential overspray onto your cloth deck
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #34
tlak77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have had rattle problem from the rear since day one. The dealer was not very successful with troubleshooting so I decided to fallow one of the DIY and felted the sh### out of all plastic parts at the back. Unfortunately, rattle did not go away. Last Saturday I took all apart again and found out that each seat belt assembly (all 3) rattles internally while tapping rear shelf (metal frame under the sound proofing foam) or seat belt assembly itself. The seat belt assemblies are sealed. If anyone decides to felt rear vent make sure noise is not coming from the seat belt assembly as it does on my car.
Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Miler
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, Sport

Perfect Instructions - Thanks

I followed these instructions today to get rid of the annoying rattle that was coming from the back of my '09 328i E90. Altogether it took about 2 hours.

I bought the 3/4" wide x 1mm black felt tape from Amazon. I applied the felt tape to the back of the vent where it meets the window, the back of the parcel shelf where it meets the vent, and the front of the parcel shelf where it meets the lip for the rear seat gasket assembly. The only two areas that I had trouble with were: removing the speaker grilles (there are six clips - two front & back and two on the sides, the two on the sides broke off) and removing the covers for the car seat anchors (pry them off carefully from the back).

Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
My car has had a creak in the rear window / parcel shelf area since new. It has driven me crazy. It seemed worse over bumps and with the HVAC on. I've had it to the dealer, but they could not fix it. I tried to stuff cardboard in the crack between the rear plastic vent and rear window - but it did not seem to fix the problem.

Since my dealer is 240 miles away, I decided to try to troubleshoot it myself following these threads:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35298

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42207

My car is an E90 325xi with fold down rear seats and no HK sound. Surpisingly removing the rear shelf was quite simple and I thought I would summarize the steps I followed to help supplement the above posts:

1. Fold down rear seats.
2. Remove the rear seat back side cushions. Simply pull down and forward towards the front of the car. They easily pivot out.
3. Flip up the three child seat anchors and remove the anchors using a torx socket. Once the anchor assembly is removed, pull out the metal aligning cage.
4. Pry off the two speaker grills. The grills are friction fit and pull up from the front with a flat head screwdriver.
5. Remove the two main speaker drivers. Mine were held in place with three hex head screws. Disconnect the main speaker wire connectors by pulling on the clip and do the same for the second connection going to the tweeter.
6. Remove the five plastic quick connect pins holding the shelf to the steel support. I first pulled the center pins out and then pulled the plastic assembly out. I used a small metal finish nail remover to do this. I first pulled up with my finger nail to prevent scratching the plastic. You could also use masking tape.
7. Remove the rear pillar airbag cover. Just pull out the plastic "Airbag" logo / clip with a small flathead screwdriver and remove the long torx screw. Once the screw is out, pull the cover out from the door trim. Next is the trick to removing it - just slide it up towards the ceiling - the metal clip doesn't pull straight out but slides along the opening. Then it pulls right out.
8. Once all of these items are out, the rear shelf should just slide forward. I pulled mine forward about 8" to reveal the rear plastic vent. I did not bother removing any seatbelts - as it's not required to gain access. You would need to remove them if you were completely removing the shelf.
9. Once the shelf is slid forward I had to remove a little electrical box from the centre of the rear parcel shelf (antenna?). It's held in place with two small torx screws.
10. Lastly - I removed the rear plastic vent by removing the four hex head screws which hold it in - they are behind the thick foam. Remove the screws and it just pulls out.

In general - if you are pulling anything hard you probably are doing something wrong. I found there was a trick to almost all connections. I used my fingernails a lot to prevent scratching things - but I'm pretty anal about scratches that most wouldn't even notice.

Once I had the vent out, I slid the parcel shelf back in place and went for a test drive. NO RATTLES!! :rocks:

At least by pulling out the plastic rear vent you can find out if that is what was creaking in your car. I plan to drive it like this for a few more days to make sure this is the culprit. If it is, I will try hockey tape on the leading edge of the vent (by the glass) and on the steel to hopefully silence the creak.

Hope this helps. Pictures are in the previous threads. Good luck. I was intimidated to attempt this - but it's really not bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
wacjac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318D SE Business Edition iDriv

FIXED the F***er at last!!!!

E90 - 2009 LCI Model - having read about someone wedging silicone tubing down between the glass and rear vent though I'd give it a try.... just couldn't face taking half the car to bits to attempt to fix this excruciating clicking sound!!..... I'm ecstatic to let you all know that it works!!! I couldn't be happier. I bought 2 metres of black 3mm ID x 7mm OD silicone vacuum tubing, cut it to length then used a plastic ruler to tightly wedge it behind/under the gap - takes a bit of doing.

I now have absolute silence!!! Over the moon as the car was looking like it was off to a new owner if I couldn't fix this!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #37
jethrosf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport White

Found it!

I searched all these posts for answers and tried everything to find this rattle in the rear deck area, including tennis balls and 1/4" tubing! It turned out not to be the rear deck at all but one of the clips holding on the LED center break light. It was loose and rattling against the glass. If I couldn't find it I would have had to sell the car or go insane! Thanks for the posts guys!
Appreciate 0