E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP: Pre-LCI Halogen to LCI Adaptive Xenon Conversion

04-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
crimpwimp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 6spd // E46 M3 LSB

Garage List
Exclamation HELP: Pre-LCI Halogen to LCI Adaptive Xenon Conversion

I have searched quite a bit both on this board and wherever Google would point me (bimmerpost, etc.) Looking for some guidance on how to get the adaptive feature working on my LCI Xenon AHL that I picked up from a forum member.

I have gotten lowbeam, highbeam shutter, and all other features to work with the repinning of the headlight connectors. I am getting the adaptive headlight swivel icon error on my gauges. Btw, I have added the VO codes for both Xenon and AHL options ($522 & $524) via NCS Expert.

Now, the really annoying part is that both L/R headlights are clocked fully to the right, guessing that's how they were uninstalled from previous owner's vehicle...

1) Is there a way to manually realign the horizontal adjustment? If so, how? Would be nice to at least have straight pointing headlights in the meantime while troubleshooting the stepper motors in the AHL.

2) What options do I have to get the AHL functionality working? I tried to code the LSMC/RSMC, but get a 'no answer from ECU' when I try to get it.

I do see some communication error codes when I view FRM module on INPA...However, the previous owner said that these were working fine when in his vehicle. I'm skeptical that both AHL modules are bad (this is the majority of threads with issues coding headllights via NCS Expert)

Thank you for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

So you didn't have xenons or AHL from factory? Are you sure the wiring for AHL is even present in the harness?

You can manually apply power to the stepper motors to move them. It is most likely a 5v signal so start with that, not 12v

Your error there basically means it can't find the SMC module.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
crimpwimp
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The vehicle I'm working with began with pre-LCI halogens. Would I need to send the CAN signal from the headlights to the junction box? That's what it sounds like I need to do in order have communication from the headlight modules?

OK, so there is no manual adjustment for the horizontal adjust, only the stepper motor?

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
So you didn't have xenons or AHL from factory? Are you sure the wiring for AHL is even present in the harness?

You can manually apply power to the stepper motors to move them. It is most likely a 5v signal so start with that, not 12v

Your error there basically means it can't find the SMC module.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimpwimp View Post
The vehicle I'm working with began with pre-LCI halogens. Would I need to send the CAN signal from the headlights to the junction box? That's what it sounds like I need to do in order have communication from the headlight modules?

OK, so there is no manual adjustment for the horizontal adjust, only the stepper motor?

Thanks for the info!
There is a horizontal adjustment but it is very little. I don't think you will be able to adjust enough to compensate for maxed out stepper motor.

If you look at your fender, above where the headlight housing goes, there should be a small black rubber cap. Remove that to reveal a small opening where you can feed through a hex key or Philips head to adjust horizontal alignment.

Look on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for wiring diagrams. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
crimpwimp
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
There is a horizontal adjustment but it is very little. I don't think you will be able to adjust enough to compensate for maxed out stepper motor.

If you look at your fender, above where the headlight housing goes, there should be a small black rubber cap. Remove that to reveal a small opening where you can feed through a hex key or Philips head to adjust horizontal alignment.

Look on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for wiring diagrams. Good luck
Thanks for the incredible resource!
Appreciate 0