E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Crunchy sound when I turn the steering wheel to the end...

04-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
keona
Rep
Drives: BMW

Crunchy sound when I turn the steering wheel to the end...

Hi Guys! I need you help. I got this sound a month ago. At first I thought that it will go away by itself or it's ATF (not ATF). But unfortunately after a month it's still there, sound became louder only.

Let me describe: Crunchy sound when I turn the steering wheel to the end (left or right) during slow motion as a park.

When I'm starting to backup from parking spot and twisting the steering wheel to the end and begin to move (before movement there is no sound, the wheel is spinning fine) after 2 seconds of movement appears a Crackling sound "Clank, Clank, Clank...". But at normal 35-50 mph speed when I make a turn there are no sounds at all.

Only in the parking lot or at slow motion and when I turn the steering wheel to the end.

My car is: 2008, BMW 328i Sedan

Purchased in Canada, BMW North America is not extending warranty on it. But I went to another mechanic (which is really good, only works with BMW and Mercedes). He checked the car and said that everything is simply superb. But the sound is not going away.

Please help me to resolve this this, because apart from this car is just flawless (knock on the wood)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

[QUOTE=keona;9329133]Hi Guys! I need you help. I got this sound a month ago. At first I thought that it will go away by itself or it's ATF (not ATF). But unfortunately after a month it's still there, sound became louder only.

Let me describe: Crunchy sound when I turn the steering wheel to the end (left or right) during slow motion as a park.

When I'm starting to backup from parking spot and twisting the steering wheel to the end and begin to move (before movement there is no sound, the wheel is spinning fine) after 2 seconds of movement appears a Crackling sound "Clank, Clank, Clank...". But at normal 35-50 mph speed when I make a turn there are no sounds at all.

Only in the parking lot or at slow motion and when I turn the steering wheel to the end.

Your turning your wheel all the way to one side?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
keona
Rep

[QUOTE=Delta0311;9329145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keona View Post
Hi Guys! I need you help. I got this sound a month ago. At first I thought that it will go away by itself or it's ATF (not ATF). But unfortunately after a month it's still there, sound became louder only.

Your turning your wheel all the way to one side?

Yes almost all the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I've yet to drive a hydraulic power steering equipped car which did not make noise when turned to full lock. Although the most common sound is a squeal, it's best to slightly back off the steering angle when you hear any noise.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
keona
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I've yet to drive a hydraulic power steering equipped car which did not make noise when turned to full lock. Although the most common sound is a squeal, it's best to slightly back off the steering angle when you hear any noise.

Tom
1) Yes I have squeal sound (barely noticeable) and I fine with it.

2) Thank you Tom for a great advice! But I live on the hill, so to park I have very limited space and I just have to twist the wheel all the way to park and when I'm leaving is the same ways.

3) I had Audi before this one, never had issue like this (cranking sound).

4) Trust me Tom I'm very gentle with a car.

I just want to figure out what is causing this noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
keona
Rep

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you an update on what's going on.

Yesterday, when I was making a U turn:

I turned steering wheel all the way to the left , and when pressed on the gas pedal again heard the sickening crunch sound (my wife heard it too) Click, click,click...

But once I started aligning wheel, the car again started to behave perfectly.

1) What could it be? Please help.

2) Maybe I need to lubricate something in the front end of the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Have you tried turning to full lock and then backing off the steering wheel a couple of degrees before giving it gas?

As I said, it seems to me to be normal so I never turn the wheel to full lock - but if your previous car did not make noise under the exact same circumstances, then you might bring it up with your dealer. At worst, they will check it out and tell you it's OK, and if there is a problem, it can be handled under warranty.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
keona
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Have you tried turning to full lock and then backing off the steering wheel a couple of degrees before giving it gas?

As I said, it seems to me to be normal so I never turn the wheel to full lock - but if your previous car did not make noise under the exact same circumstances, then you might bring it up with your dealer. At worst, they will check it out and tell you it's OK, and if there is a problem, it can be handled under warranty.

Tom
Tom I don't have warranty.

When I back up from parking space I never put my wheel to full lock. But it's still has same noise.

Thanks for help anyways. I thought maybe some of you had the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

Does it make the sound when the car's stationary or just when you start moving? If the latter, are you sure you don't have a tire contacting the inside of the wheel well on full lock? I'd check the tire and the well for rub marks.
      04-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does the click frequency increase with speed when on a sharp turn? Kind of sounds like a CV joint to me. It has to be at lock or close to. Maybe within 1/4 turn as a ballpark. Power steering is more of a hum at lock.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #11
seanblee
Captain
Rep

Unless it's an Xi, it doesn't have CV joints, as it's rear wheel drive...
      04-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

^ forgot to mention that.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
keona
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
Does it make the sound when the car's stationary or just when you start moving? If the latter, are you sure you don't have a tire contacting the inside of the wheel well on full lock? I'd check the tire and the well for rub marks.

Thank you for taking you time seanblee.

* I have found where sound comes from, its from the right side (passenger side of the car)

* I checked wheel whee wells, now signs of rubbing. It's kind of metal clicking - clanking sound.

Thx for helping, I hope with you help guys I can find what is it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
keona
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
^ forgot to mention that.
It's writen in firs post - 2008, BMW 328i Sedan not 328IX Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
seanblee
Captain
Rep

It still sounds like something rubbing to me. I'd get your mechanic to stick the car on a lift, spin the steering to full lock and rotate the passenger wheel by hand to see what's going on. Alternatively, you could jack the front of the car and try it yourself, but make sure you use jack stands at appropriate points...
      05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
keona
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
It still sounds like something rubbing to me. I'd get your mechanic to stick the car on a lift, spin the steering to full lock and rotate the passenger wheel by hand to see what's going on. Alternatively, you could jack the front of the car and try it yourself, but make sure you use jack stands at appropriate points...
Thx man just came back from mechanic (didn't have time to go earlier)

He check everything, said car is in perfect working condition.

He heard the sound, and he thinks it's ball joint or control arm on my right side.

What do you think, it possible that control arm makes this cranking noise?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
keona
Rep

When I change control arm, do I need to change bushing as well?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
keona
Rep

Changed control arm. Didn't help me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

May have a similar issue, noticed a clicking/clanking when turning the wheel (not necessarily when moving as well, just when cranking the wheel) while parallel parking in a tight spot this evening.

Not the same as the power steering noise/rumbling sensation these cars sometimes get when turning at low speed or parking.

Subscribing to this thread, just in case the OP has news.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #20
Kyrie535
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi sedan

Anyone ever figure it out?

I have the same problem, its not a wining, not a clicking, but a loud crackling. it sounds like dried up rubber rubbing on something, idk how to explain it but its not like anything I've ever heard, like a kr kr kr really fast and medium volume not extremely loud but definitely not quiet. I might try and put some tri-flow on some steering parts and see if that helps anything.
Tom it is not a problem with the steering being completely locked, the sound happens if turning at all at low speeds of stationary no matter the position all the way or even just barley, if OP is having same issue.
Its like a creaking which stops when I don't turn the wheel further, but also happens when putting the wheel back to original position.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #21
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

re-torque subframe bolts and check alignment.
Appreciate 0